Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                09-24-2004, 2:16 PM Reply   
How high do I need to get on my regular jumps for a backroll? So far the best I can manage is about 3 feet of height, occasionally close to 4 feet. With the old 1984 Baretta that I use, the wake probably isn't big enough to easily get more than that.

Here's a video with my first backroll attempts ever, plus a few other jumps where I was going for distance, not height.

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=11983
Old                09-24-2004, 2:33 PM Reply   
Mike, you completely come off of your edge about 3-5 feet from the wake!

I would work more on your cut and going high instead of far.
Old                09-24-2004, 2:38 PM Reply   
Do you think I come off my edge during the backroll attempts, or during every jump in the video?
Old                09-24-2004, 3:00 PM Reply   
It is really hard to tell from the vid...the roll attempt was much easier to see because you zoomed in. Most likely you are coming off of your edge on the other.
Old                09-26-2004, 5:32 PM Reply   
Definately no problem with the wake...you've got a tower, just keep your edge, throw the flip, then hang in there, and don't hesitate while you go upside-down.
Old                09-27-2004, 1:04 PM Reply   
To me it looked like you were going really fast, and not edging properly, so that caused you to fly over the wake with only a foot air. What you should do is take a shorter approach and go really far back on your heels and build the edge all the way up the wake then stand up. For a backroll, your gonna need way more height and less speed then that.
Old                09-27-2004, 4:50 PM Reply   
So just edge a lot harder and not worry as much about speed? should I have more weight on my back foot than my front foot, or keep them equal?
Old                09-27-2004, 8:48 PM Reply   
the wake is not the problem since many people can do backrolls in the flats, it all in the edge
Old                09-28-2004, 3:11 PM Reply   
So, back to my original question....how much height do I need to get on a regular jump before I am able to land a backroll? Is 3 to 4 feet enough?
Old                09-28-2004, 6:02 PM Reply   
this is the 2nd one i've landed. http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=12118