Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (fill_er_up)      Join Date: May 2006       05-19-2006, 9:49 AM Reply   
I see a lot of reference to jabsco(water-puppy) and Simer pumps. Trying to work out pricing for installing ballast and hoping someone has an answer for a couple of ques: Are they both the same reversible style pumps that will handle fill and drain? Which simer pump do you guys use? I dont see one on their website matching the descriptions I've seen. Any suggestions on best place to buy either one?
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-19-2006, 9:54 AM Reply   
They are the same style but, the Simer is less expensive and should not be used in the engine compartment. It is not ignition protected. I paid about $65 for each one. You can also order them through Home Depot under another name. Same pumps they are just sold under another name at the big retailers. I ordered mine through BE Atlas. I think the pump is a BW8512. Which is a 12 volt portable pump.
Old     (fill_er_up)      Join Date: May 2006       05-19-2006, 10:04 AM Reply   
Where do you place it? how far from the engine? Tks
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-22-2006, 11:21 AM Reply   
It just not supposed to be in the engine compartment. I think some have without problems. Mine are under the rear seat.
Old     (mgswed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-23-2006, 6:28 AM Reply   
what is BE Atlas? Do you have a link? Thanks -MG
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-23-2006, 6:39 AM Reply   
USCG's theory is this: Because gasoline fumes are heavier than air, they will "pool" in the engine compartment. Because they are pooling, anything that causes spark might ignite the fumes and cause an explosion.

The pump he speaks of, from the sounds of it, is not USCG approved. As in, it lacks design that inhibits sparks.
Old     (fill_er_up)      Join Date: May 2006       05-26-2006, 5:14 PM Reply   
Saw the Jabsco water puppy at West Marine today like $185(!). Has anyone recently found good prices on the simer?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-26-2006, 5:37 PM Reply   
JB,

My first self built ballast system used the simer impeller pumps. It's a little more work but I really prefer the aerator pumps now after re-working my new boat's factor ballast system. They are a little finicky to placement but if you get it right they are faster, quieter, cheaper, use less electricity, and actually more reliable, since there is no rubber impeller to wear out, burn up, or get stuck in one direction. If you forget to turn off a impeller pump during the empty cycle it will burn up. The run-dry protection circuits tend to be problematic.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-26-2006, 6:16 PM Reply   
Ditto on what Mike said. I'm on about my fourth generation of ballast system on my boat, aerators are the way to go. They are super picky about air leaks, especially the drain pumps. It sucks being out on the lake and having to jump on sacks, etc to try to get aerators to prime. Use liquid teflon tape and good quality hose and clamps that are the right size. I have had the best luck with Rule pumps, they prime the best and are the most reliable.

I wouldn't waste my money on Simer pumps, they have a plastic pump body, I had one that melted the pump housing. Jabsco pumps are nice but you can get four Rule 1100's for the same price, that will pump twice as much water.
Old     (twowakes)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-26-2006, 7:00 PM Reply   
The people at make-a-wake can fix you up for about the same money that you will have in a three pump system from jabsco and it is all compact, neat and includes the wireing and switches.
Old     (fill_er_up)      Join Date: May 2006       05-28-2006, 6:10 AM Reply   
So you prefer the idea of 2 pumps per sac, one fill and one drain. The fills start at a thru-hull below waterline and go to a inlet at the top of the sac, and the drains go out a thru-hull from the bottom of the sac to a vent out the side of the boat? If this sounds right, do you need a separate switch for each pump or can you use a toggle like the self-priming pumps --up controls the fill pump, down controls the empty? (If you know of a thread that already covers it, let me know, my search was all over the place and mainly found stuff of the simers)
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-28-2006, 6:44 AM Reply   
I also have built a few ballast systems, and I used to have simer's, but Mikeski is exactly right. Aerators are WAY better, in almost every way. Faster, more efficient, more reliable, quieter, less power drain, much cheaper, etc.

Here is a thread I started showing how I built mine, including parts and online suppliers.

http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=43884

I believe on that site you will have to be logged in to see the pictures.
Old     (fill_er_up)      Join Date: May 2006       05-28-2006, 4:51 PM Reply   
Yooper, I tried the thread you gave and the supply list is great, however, even logged in dont see any photos. Do they come up as part of the thread or do you have to click on something?
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-28-2006, 6:41 PM Reply   
I don't know.... they should come up as part of the thread. Are you seeing little boxes with a red "x"? Or nothing at all?
If you don't figure it out, send me a PM with your email address and I'll email you the pictures.
Old     (fill_er_up)      Join Date: May 2006       05-29-2006, 10:27 AM Reply   
Yooper, I found as part of another post:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/198705.html?1100799866

Ths looks like exactly what I want to do and the info is great. A question -what is the function of the gate valve? Is it there to prevent backflow out of the sacks or to keep pressure from the forward movement of the boat from filling the sacks when unwanted, or? Thanks a lot
Old     (leblanc1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-29-2006, 11:12 AM Reply   
What is used to prevent overflow in these ballast systems?
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-30-2006, 7:41 AM Reply   
The gate valve needs to be shut when you don't want the sacks to fill. If it was open, water would be forced into the sacks at all times. Also, once the sacks are full, you close it, otherwise you get a constant stream out of the overflow/vent ports.

Steve, the bags are vented and have an overflow tube.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-30-2006, 11:22 AM Reply   
Yooper,

Nice thread on wakeboarder.com. I just installed the Rival system and will be posting a thread soon.

If I could do it again, I MIGHT do it myself, instead of ordering from Rival.