Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (backflop)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-24-2010, 6:49 AM Reply   
Last evening my family and I were out riding and after I fell and I was waiting for the handle to come by, I notice there was a knot about halfway in my rope. I tried getting it out on the spot, but it was already so tight from me riding on it that I could not manage to even loosen it. Does anybody know any tricks for removing knots from ropes? I think its a dyneema rope, it is from the proline LG rope/handle combo.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-24-2010, 7:03 AM Reply   
Loosen up and push the rope through the knot with small screwdrivers or whatever else. It takes a while and is a pain. I have had my current accurate line for 4 years now and probably have 5 or more knots that are there permanently. As the line ages, you wont care as much. Worry about learning a new trick instead of messing with your line for an hour.
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-24-2010, 7:29 AM Reply   
not sure what a dyneema rope is (cable?), but if there's a braid of any kind (rope) then i twist the rope so that the braid tightens, and try to push it through or play with it a little bit at a time. i also used a screwdriver, and maybe some needlenose. it took me less than an hour to get 3 out. i watched tv while doing so.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-24-2010, 7:46 AM Reply   
If it's a non coated line you can gently hit it with a hammer. It's not a bad idea to have one knot in the line though so I'd leave it.
Old     (strife)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-24-2010, 8:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
not sure what a dyneema rope is (cable?)
dyneema is a material. very strong, it has replaced kevlar in most situations.
Old    ScottRobinson            06-24-2010, 8:34 AM Reply   
thought a knot in the rope made the rope weaker? easy break point and that would suck being upsidedown!
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-24-2010, 8:43 AM Reply   
^Someone posted that a knot in the line near the handle, would save injury in case of arm through the handle (rope breaks instead of arm). But a knot does make your line weaker. More than likely though the break would occur edging in/out when the most pressure is on the rope, or when you land a trick and the slack is taken out of the line.
Old     (petew)      Join Date: Dec 2008       06-24-2010, 8:47 AM Reply   
Yeah the knot is a weak point. 20 percent weaker to be precise. I have always lightly lossened it with a hammer as stated above but also use some washing liquid to help it work free (just cover the knot in liquid, tap, wriggle,tap,tap,wriggle, wriggle etc etc etc)

I have never had and fancy dyneema rope though? : )
Old     (backflop)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-24-2010, 12:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRobinson View Post
thought a knot in the rope made the rope weaker? easy break point and that would suck being upsidedown!
As my username states.... it usually doesn't go well when I'm upside down anyway....

I'll have to try the hammer trick with a little soap when I get home. If that doesn't work I guess I'll just have to live with it and call it a safety precaution. As @bhyatt_ohp said, its going to happen eventually, and I could be worrying about more important things.