Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (bigcho)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-20-2008, 8:39 AM Reply   
Hello,

When doing a Tantrum, do you watch where you are going all the way up the wake, and then throw your head back when in the air?

I have been trying to do a Tantrum all summer, and have been inconsistent with my launch off the wake. For each run (approx 6-8 Tantrum attempts), I jump too early about 50% of the time. I cut out wide, make an aggressive cut, flatten out before the wake, square my shoulders with the wake, and then let go with my back hand. At this point I am at the base of the wake. This is where things get “fuzzy”.

Am I supposed to keep looking over my lead shoulder so that I know when to stand tall? I have a feeling that my problem is I turn my head before I launch off the wake, therefore I have to guess when to stand tall, and guess wrong half the time.

Opinions are greatly appreciated…

Thanks.
Old     (vlxwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-20-2008, 11:31 AM Reply   
I use to have the same problem. I was cutting back way too early at the wake and not getting any pop. You want to wait until the very top of the wake to cut back. I know it feels like you will be waiting too long but trust me. Once you cut back at the top of the wake and not too early you will feel the difference. The pop is much more explosive. I cut in and look back once I am in the air. This trick is all about the edge and not about throwing a back flip. Just keep your eyes on the tip top of the wake and wait until the last second. Square up and hold on. Also keep the handle in a little closer to your body.
Old     (bigcho)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-20-2008, 4:13 PM Reply   
When you say "cut back" you mean the whole process of flattening out, squaring my shoulders, and letting go with the back hand?

Also is it possible to practice this process without doing the backflip? Cutting back and jump the wake?
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-20-2008, 7:53 PM Reply   
Mark,

There is no real great way to try this out without committing to the trick. Heres the deal. If you can take a hard cut at the wake and still get good pop, that is all you need. The tantrum should feel the exact same. You need to cut hard and where you usually stand tall to jump, you will stand tall and square up. That is the only difference really. Stand tall and change your edge, it will be the exact same spot. Then hold the rope in at your lead hip and look up not back. I have seen people get hurt by throwing their head too far back.
Old     (bigcho)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-20-2008, 8:40 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice so far. Both responses have been really helpful.

Here is a video of my "average" attempt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNIOA4J9OJs

I'm not clearing the wake, but know it is because I am flattening out too early. My goal was to land one, then try and go bigger. I also watched "The Book" video, and they talk about a tuck type tantrum (which is what I think I am doing), and spotting your landing early. Honestly everything from the bottom of the wake is just a blur.

But after looking at my video, and hearing what you guys are saying, I need to square up later than what I'm doing now.
Old     (mrboston187)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-20-2008, 9:27 PM Reply   
well first off you need to build a stronger edge toward the wake, bend your knees a bit more, like youre sitting in a chair almost. second dont let go of the handle til like the bottom of the wake, if not a little later. and like im sure you have heard numerous times, wait for the pop, its easier said than done, but once you learn to do that, it becomes a cakewalk. and keep your eyes open too
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-22-2008, 9:14 AM Reply   
Mike's on it. if you time it right you wont have to even look up or back. the trip at the top of the wake will put you into the flip.