Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (wakeboarder2687)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-13-2007, 8:04 PM Reply   
Today's survey is about grabbing off rails. Those who like it, why? Is it just something that is fun, or you think looks stylish? Anybody have any pictures? My vote was for pure silliness.
Old     (westerdude)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-13-2007, 8:24 PM Reply   
It is no way stylish!! its pretty lame..... check one more for pure silliness
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-13-2007, 8:34 PM Reply   
Why is it ok to grab over the wake, but it is "silly" to do it over a rail?
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-13-2007, 9:41 PM Reply   
this is one discussion that I will not participate in.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-13-2007, 10:12 PM Reply   
(deleted)

(Message edited by dococ on March 13, 2007)
Old     (jfisha)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-13-2007, 10:14 PM Reply   
I think its sick! grabbing over rails is so xtreme, i love doing a big roast beef over an aframe....
Old     (berryessa_mom)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-13-2007, 10:26 PM Reply   
Yea Fish.. Way more tech. Post some pics, and hit us up for a pull. Be here at 4.30 mon thru thrus.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-13-2007, 10:31 PM Reply   
Lame. It's wakeboarding not inline skating.

Edit: Attack!

(Message edited by stephan on March 13, 2007)
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-13-2007, 10:39 PM Reply   
One great way to grab over a rail: drive the boat right next to it, and have the rider jump wake and grab over top of it.

Other than that = negative ghost rider.
Old     (berryessa_mom)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-13-2007, 10:49 PM Reply   
If it was easy, we would see all time. Like inline skaters. Just thinking.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-13-2007, 11:11 PM Reply   
So far the only one who has given a reason deleted it. I guess this must be one of those "core" things that I don't understand, like grabbing tindy. If you really want to make an argument for silliness, why are wakeboarders (or snowboarders for that matter) grabbing at all. The board isn't going anywhere. It's attached to our feet.

I know that I grab because it makes the trick more difficult and I feel good when I'm able to pull off more difficult tricks. I've never tried grabbing over a rail, mostly because I don't have the skills, but I really would like to hear a legitimate reason why it's so "uncool."
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-14-2007, 6:36 AM Reply   
My personal opinion, which is why I didn't vote yesterday, goes both ways. Pretty much if you have enough time to grab, i.e. air or a high rail, then it is cool. Someone tossing a grab while coming off a 2 ft high fun box would not be cool. More less if you can get a solid grab on that blind out, it would make things better, as long as you had some hang time.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-14-2007, 6:57 AM Reply   
I don’t think that there is really anything wrong with grabbing off a rail, I guess it all depends on the set-up if you are doing some JD Web gap it seems fine. I have and definitely still do grab when I gap an A-frame. I think it looks sick to frontside up then do like an Indy 180 to backside down the rail. I think that the key is that the rider has to make it look stylish. Remember Grabbing usually increases difficulty, its way easier to do a backroll then a mute backroll. Snowboarders will grab off rails all the time, they set-up a jib on the end of a table then gap off of it spin and grab. You don’t ever see anyone grabbing off a flat bar, the set-up has to be right and. I hate to play devils advocate but I really don’t see anything wrong with it as long as it looks appropriate due to the extreme gnar of the rider and the jib. As for actually grabbing while pshyically on the rail that seems pointless, then we would be like Kim Says "Inliners."
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-14-2007, 7:15 AM Reply   
I once saw a rider reach down and grab the nose while sliding on the PWT flat bar, different. An BTW he won his heat.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-14-2007, 8:56 AM Reply   
I would like to see a gapped A frame, back board to stalefish to front board down.

Overall what Andy and A-dub said, as long as its not super rushed and sloppy.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-14-2007, 9:02 AM Reply   
"If you really want to make an argument for silliness, why are wakeboarders (or snowboarders for that matter) grabbing at all. The board isn't going anywhere. It's attached to our feet"

That's one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time.... cause it's true!

I certainly have my opinions on style, but you should be able to do anything you want. You don't have to agree with me or anyone else. If you aren't grabbing a certain way or at all because it isn't perceived as cool than you're just a sheep with no creativity of your own.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-14-2007, 9:23 AM Reply   
Blabel, the board in your profile pic looks like it actually may go somewhere if you weren't grabbing.

This reminds me of the flipping off a rail thread awhile back. Good times.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-14-2007, 9:28 AM Reply   
I made a picnic table slider in my yard for snowboarding a few weeks ago. After it got boring, I'll admit I started grabbing 180's off the end. It may have looked gay, but it was something different to do. At our local mountain last night(Sno Mountain in Scranton, PA), two snowboarders were throwing front flips off the end of rails. Maybe it isn't stylish to some, but it totally amazed me. Whatever is fun to you must be worth doing. If it is only for how it looks to others, then I'll have to say maybe it isn't. Does that make sense?
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-14-2007, 9:34 AM Reply   
Like Andy said, as long as it looks good then it doesnt really matter. I really dont see the need to grab on rails. It seems like something you would do in a Tony Hawk Game.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-14-2007, 11:36 AM Reply   
"The board isn't going anywhere. It's attached to our feet"

Is Jeremy Kovak back??
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-14-2007, 11:40 AM Reply   
it has to be clean! and not look force.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-14-2007, 1:20 PM Reply   
I grab the board because its fun, and in some instances helpful. I could care less if someone thinks my riding is "stylish" or not. If anything, grabbing a wakeboard is much more about mimmicing style than having it. IMO in skating, a grab was required, and style came from how you grabbed. Some guys did the trick grabbed one way and others did it another. It was taking something mandatory and giving it a different look. To me, that is what pure style is. Grabbing a wakeboard or a snowboard, is just mimmicing what we consider stylish about skating, or surfing in some cases. Would it be stylish to carry your carbon handle with you and hold it while snowboarding?
Old    innov8actionsports.com            03-14-2007, 1:57 PM Reply   
Who cares what everyone else thinks, do you ride for everyone else or for yourself? I say go out and ride however you want and do whatever you want, I could care less if the "CORE" riders think its cool or not or for that matter if then industry peps think its cool or not I dont ride for anyone but myself.
You know the same thing happened in the freestyle motocross industry, most riders and the industry were against the backflip, because they knew that if someone landed a backflip then they would have to sack up and go learn how to do a backflip. Now look at freestyle motocross, if you dont have at least 2 backflip variations in you run, then you dont advance, simple as that!!
I say take it to the next level in wakeboarding and if that means doing grabs on and off rails or doing inverts off of sliders then so be it. You cant say that by pulling one hand off the handle and reaching down to grab the board while hitting a slider makes the trick easier, I would say it makes it harder.
Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-15-2007, 2:51 PM Reply   
grabbing is cool if you make it look cool. if it looks bad, and your only doing it to make the trick harder, then i dont think its as good as if you do it to make it look good
Old    xtremebordgurl            03-15-2007, 4:22 PM Reply   
we ride cause its fun. If grabbing over a rail is fun then power to you. I like to watch people having fun, and if you're having a blast grabbing off/over rails then I want to watch you do that all day.
Old     (kmcginty)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-16-2007, 6:24 AM Reply   
Thomas, this thread just screams Kovak.
Old     (clay_fraley)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-17-2007, 9:24 AM Reply   
As long as its a nice stylish grab I think it looks ok