Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-24-2007, 6:45 AM Reply   
Changed the steering cable in my 02 X-star earlier this season. Put on about 75 hours since the cable was replaced. Yesterday noticed the steering seemed stiff. I have greased it once since I changed the cable. Couldn't be the cable going bad already again, could it? Also, when storing the boat, I read you should keep the wheel turned one way or the other to keep the cable either fully retracted or fully extended. Can't remember which way was recommended?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-24-2007, 9:16 AM Reply   
should be a couple zerks back there. 3 i believe. Did you hit them all?

Not sure about turning the wheel. never heard that.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-24-2007, 10:33 AM Reply   
No salt in Wisconsin I guess?
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-24-2007, 1:40 PM Reply   
nope, no salt here. It is getting cold though? Could cold grease make that much of a difference?
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-24-2007, 8:43 PM Reply   
I've heard of Minnesota boaters complain of stiffer steering in the fall and spring. I always fold my cable in (wheel to the right). Never been told to do so, just seems to be the best thing.

Have you greased the rudder?

Also, overgreasing will cause it to be stiff the first few turns before it spews out the excess.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-25-2007, 5:08 AM Reply   
is there water in the bilge?
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-25-2007, 10:17 AM Reply   
no water in the bilge Tim.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-25-2007, 2:32 PM Reply   
sounds like another cable.
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-25-2007, 3:01 PM Reply   
I thought I saw an earlier thread on this subject and the problem was the rudder. There was a redesign on the MC rudder pre 2003 and the pivot shaft was changed (larger) due to failures of the earlier ones. I know this is the case for the supra pre 2003 rudder as well where steering is stiff even after changing the cable
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-26-2007, 7:55 AM Reply   
Are there grease fittings for the rudder / steering cable? If so where? I saw another post that eluded to them. Thanks.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-26-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
yes, there is a grease fitting on the rudder, in the bilge, facing the bow. There are two grease fittings on the steering cable shaft, about midway in the bilge on the starboard side