Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (d4m0)      Join Date: Apr 2009       10-11-2012, 7:44 PM Reply   
16 Year old Aaron Gunn landed a TS12 off the kicker in Cairns a couple days ago, props to the little Penrith cable grommet

Heres the Vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhUmO5Yqr3M&feature=plcp
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-11-2012, 7:50 PM Reply   
That's sick.....
But it isnt toeside, it's a frontside 1260 off a kicker. Toeside refers to a wake trick.
Don't hate on my comment. Cable boarding is completely different than wakeboarding. In cable there is no toeside or heelside. Just tricks. They are either frontside or backside
Old     (d4m0)      Join Date: Apr 2009       10-11-2012, 8:31 PM Reply   
wow sorry man i gotta hate on that comment. i ride boat and cable and ive never herd anyone say that one before... so I guess no one can do a pete, crowmobe, batwing etc etc then since theres no ts? or no front mobes, mobydick and so on because there hs?

Sorry man but just seems like its a tad silly to say something like that its all wakeboarding its all relative to each other if you can explain to me a legit reason as to why theres no hs and ts then i will gladly take that on board but its not like cable riders are buttersliding on to stuff lol I'm not trying to start a massive online keyboard warrior argument but yeah...
Old     (SethRavid)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-11-2012, 8:48 PM Reply   
Once again, NOT a 1260. He pre-spun a full 180 just like Matty Hassler. At least the landing was cleaner. I don't get it: why would you claim a trick that's never been landed on cable if it's so obviously not legit? I would be embarrassed to put my name on something I didn't earn. Amazing rider, no doubt, but don't put it out there until you can do it without cheating. Just take the extra time to learn a FULL 1260.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-11-2012, 8:59 PM Reply   
Gotta agree with Damo... Jason I do see your point where you're hitting a ramp there shouldn't be toe or heel side in cable (likened to hitting jumps in snowboarding), but in snow you don't have the rope to deal with. Depending on where the ramp is (outside or inside the cable), you do come with a heel or toe edge.

I suppose if you were winching, or had a 2.0 where the cable pulled directly in line with the kicker you could eliminate the element of toe/heel edge. But at most cables where the kickers are either inside or outside of the line of the cable, you absolutely come in on either a toe or heel edge.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-11-2012, 9:00 PM Reply   
Sick trick for sure, but I agree HS BS 1080
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-11-2012, 9:44 PM Reply   
That is one clean 1080! Props to the guy
Old     (d4m0)      Join Date: Apr 2009       10-11-2012, 10:03 PM Reply   
I knew there would be haters but oh well always is with kickers... from water to water its a 12 but if you want to claim it as a HS BS 10 then its still legit as f**k and cleaner than most peoples spinning in general, he landed 4 more yesterday.
Old     (Dustfarter)      Join Date: Jun 2010       10-11-2012, 10:09 PM Reply   
There is definitely toeside and heelside for cable. Just saying that puts you in the kook category and negates any other opinions you may have.
I also don't know how you can hate on and judge a trick when it happens so fast that you really can't see anything for sure.
Massive props to the kid.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-12-2012, 4:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethRavid View Post
Once again, NOT a 1260. He pre-spun a full 180 just like Matty Hassler. At least the landing was cleaner. I don't get it: why would you claim a trick that's never been landed on cable if it's so obviously not legit? I would be embarrassed to put my name on something I didn't earn. Amazing rider, no doubt, but don't put it out there until you can do it without cheating. Just take the extra time to learn a FULL 1260.

Tell us how you really feel . I would have been a little more polite but I def agree with you. I have never heard the argument(or saying) water to water though. I still don't think it is a valid argument. Behind boat we don't have an extra few feet to pre spin before we are in the air and even if pre-spinning was possible on the wake I doubt anyone would do it.

Not to take away from that trick though. IT IS SICK and more than I will ever be able to do!
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-12-2012, 6:16 AM Reply   
He actually spun almost 270 on the ramp haha.

I say sick trick man, it's wakeboarding, congrats. I get the whole snowboard comparison, however, all the haters above, how many of you can do a sketchy FS5 or 7 off a kicker. If you can't, then I'd say duly noted, but your opinion and hate has little to no merit or credibility what so ever. How's that for hate on a friday morning? haha :-)
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-12-2012, 6:44 AM Reply   
Aren't our opinions the reason for the existence of the Wakeworld Forums?

It sucks that pre-spinning has become such a big thing as far as claiming a trick, and arguments can be made for both sides, but personally I prefer to see a trick spun completely in the air. An excellent example of a rider not pre-spinning is the Jade Whirley edit that was posted a little while ago. Keep pushing the sport anyway Aaron!
Link to the Jade vid.

from Joey Arcisz on Vimeo.

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-12-2012, 7:28 AM Reply   
Most all cable riders "pre-spin". It is what it is and we just need to accept it as such. Jade doesn't pre-spin? Watch his TS BS stuff...he has already done a handle pass on the way up the kicker. That's how most cable riders do their TS BS stuff. You can "cheat" your spins on the cable as compared to the wake so that's what people do. I don't see it as cheating more than I see it as just the way cable/kicker tricks are done.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-12-2012, 7:42 AM Reply   
I too have never heard anyone say there is no heel side or toe side in Cable. I'm not a cable expert but it seems like the same rules apply. I still see scarecrows, tantrums, batwings, raleys, etc.... and they all start with the same edge as behind the boat. I don't disagree, but I do find it interesting.

But, I do agree with the rest. I really don't like the pre-spinning thing. I understand that's the way it is in cable, but I don't think it should be that way. Dean Smith holds his line up the kicker, and I dig that.

It was clean, and stomped however. Awesome, top tier riding, still.
Old     (rmotoxxx711)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-12-2012, 8:08 AM Reply   
Yea there's def a difference in toes ice and heel side tricks. I like the point that there wouldn't be such thing as a scarecrow on cable if there was no toeside, well played.

The kid obviously without a doubt strait rips, but yea was at a 270 at the top of the kicker. C'mon kids do your cable tricks the same way as boat...
Wait, pop, pull on the handle and start spinning

Oh and that kid should take up boxing too, his hands are as fast as Mayweathers. Wow
Old     (txwakerider14)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-12-2012, 8:53 AM Reply   
@benjaminp not hating, but If you watch the Jade Whirley video he is clearly making a complete handle pass before he leaves the ramp on all of his TS BS spins. Some of the he is initiating the spin before he is even on the ramp. However, I don't really know of any cable rider that does not pre-spin TS BS spins at least a little bit
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-12-2012, 8:57 AM Reply   
Here is what I see (given I'm not throwing 1080s/1260s)

To me he is landing the same direction he is taking off from the kicker .... that means it must be 360/720/1080 ... obviously he does three rotations, so 1080.

He is not landing 180* different than when he leaves the ramp, so not a 180/540/900/1260
Counting pre-spinning means that I have done like 1800* rotations (or more) on boxes with a little lip at the end... I just pre-spun 1440 of it.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-12-2012, 9:24 AM Reply   
I agree with what was said above^

Im surprised they werent freaking out more after the landing.. I mean it was only a 1080/1260!!!!!
Old     (LukeR103)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-12-2012, 9:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubanks01 View Post
Most all cable riders "pre-spin". It is what it is and we just need to accept it as such. Jade doesn't pre-spin? Watch his TS BS stuff...he has already done a handle pass on the way up the kicker. That's how most cable riders do their TS BS stuff. You can "cheat" your spins on the cable as compared to the wake so that's what people do. I don't see it as cheating more than I see it as just the way cable/kicker tricks are done.
In the Jade edit you can tell that he leaves the ramp the same way he gets on it... doesn't matter if he passes the handle behind his back, as long as his board isn't doing a 180 up the face of the ramp.... (similar to snowboarders winding up to spin off the top of a booter)

You don't see snowboarders 180'ing up the face of a kicker... just saying

I don't see it as cheating more than I see it as just the way cable/kicker tricks are done
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-12-2012, 9:54 AM Reply   
I know he's making handle passes before he leaves the kicker, but so do boat riders who do wrapped tricks. I know he pre-spins a few, but that vid was one of the best I've seen for clean spinning, and I thought it was a great example of riders making an effort to avoid pre-spinning. Maybe a few more should follow his example.
Old     (txwakerider14)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-12-2012, 9:59 AM Reply   
I would have to disagree and call this a pre-spin
Attached Images

Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-12-2012, 10:02 AM Reply   
It's fine with me if pre-spinning is part of cable and the tricks that are done with it but I don't think the pre-spin can be counted in to the total rotations. The countable rotations start once the person has left the kicker. More spins then I will ever do or better then I will ever be so good on him regardless.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-12-2012, 10:02 AM Reply   
I agree with what has been said about the pre spinning stuff, its just too bad that this kid is stoked on his accomplishment and here we are all tearing it down. I'm with calling things as they are and hopefully if Aaron reads this thread it just gets him stoked to keep progressing.

I think a lot of the pre spin stuff comes from the years and years of people (& Alliance mag) pushing for riders to not just complete tricks, but to complete them the "right way". Grab legit, poke legit and make style a priority. Pre spinning goes contrary to all that. Is it nit picking? Perhaps. Is it better for the sport? Debatable. Do things look better when done right? Absolutely.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-12-2012, 10:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwakerider14 View Post
I would have to disagree and call this a pre-spin
ummmm. he was cutting at the ramp. Not many people go directly straight up the ramp. That shows that he is NOT pre-spinning.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-12-2012, 10:12 AM Reply   
furthermore, doing the handle pass that way can actual help prevent/eliminate pre-spinning.
Old     (txwakerider14)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-12-2012, 10:27 AM Reply   
Call it a disagreement then, but in my mind making a complete handle pass before you ever get in the air is pre spinning
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-12-2012, 10:28 AM Reply   
So it doesn't matter what the board is doing now?
Old    jblinzler            10-12-2012, 10:47 AM Reply   
First off I would argue that there is in fact Toe side and Heel side tricks on the cable. If i'm placing weight over my toes and approaching a feature in that manner, I would claim that this is equivalent to the approach taken for a Toe side wake jump. Wakeboarding is Wakeboarding. Yes there are many similarities to snowboarding(frontside/backside), however the trick base for the cable must be consistant with that of the wake or certain tricks will be lost or have different names inconsistant with their origin.

As for the spinning, I am by no means a hater and admit im not throwing anything that amazing. that being said i do not believe in pre spinning. I dont do in on the wake or off a kicker on the snow. I think it really comes down to what the standard competition rules are for spins. let the pros decide. if they allow it in a comp, then congrats on the trick. If not, then sorry but congrats on making me feel like and inferior boarder and still throwing down.
Old     (CasMarks)      Join Date: Jul 2011       10-12-2012, 10:58 AM Reply   
I did a 1440 water to water the other day. There happened to be a very long flat box in the way but stomped it clean.
Old     (txwakerider14)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-12-2012, 10:58 AM Reply   
No because the hardes part of spinning is the handle pass not moving your board. By passing the handle before your in the air you basically going through the same motion as a wrapped tricked were the rope is just unwinding you once your in the air
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-12-2012, 11:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwakerider14 View Post
No because the hardes part of spinning is the handle pass not moving your board. By passing the handle before your in the air you basically going through the same motion as a wrapped tricked were the rope is just unwinding you once your in the air
and that is now "pre-spinning"? wrapping a trick is pre-spinning? Have you tried passing the handle like what you're referencing as a "pre-spin"? I think it's actually pretty difficult, a lot of timing and control, and you get yanked while in the air (which I haven't really felt in wrapped tricks).
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-12-2012, 11:15 AM Reply   
Attached Images

Old     (txwakerider14)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-12-2012, 11:26 AM Reply   
My point wasn't to say that it is the same as a wrapped trick it was to say that passing the handle before you leave the ramp is pre-spinning as much a spinning a fs 180 up the ramp is if not more. TS BS tricks especially. I just don't see how you can think passing the handle on the ramp before your in the air is legit just as long as you keep your board straight. You still completed the hardest part of the trick (the handlepass) on the ramp not in the air. I'm sure passing the handle up the ramp is difficult and getting yanked by the cable as you unwind I'm sure is hard to hold onto. But I would argue that it takes more timing and control to complete your handle pass and spin in the air, not under the safety of a ramp.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-12-2012, 12:09 PM Reply   
I agree Brian. Passing the handle up a kicker is the same as pre-spinning. Internet wars!!! haha

And I think it's funny people calling it a "lesser" trick because it is a 10 instead of a 12. I bet those guys would all agree that a TS FS 12 is probably easier than a HS BS 10.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-12-2012, 1:06 PM Reply   
While I do agree that you edge in to the feature on a toe or heel edge, you still are flat riding up the kicker. So to me that eliminates using toeside or heelside in a trick name. People constantly argue about what a trick is that someone did off a kicker. There seems to be a thread once a week where someone posts a video of someone doing a trick followed by 3 pages of people battling about what the trick should be called. The last one was a double roll with a 180 and a double crow and a double front w a 180. Cable boarding really needs to become its own sport and drop all these stupid wakeboard trick names. Just my .02$
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       10-12-2012, 1:42 PM Reply   
AWESOME TRICK! Haters gonna hate, whingers worry about legit and riders going to ride
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-12-2012, 4:07 PM Reply   
Callen i gotta hate on ya brotha! You're wrong
Old     (d4m0)      Join Date: Apr 2009       10-12-2012, 4:18 PM Reply   
exactly haters gonna hate... there always is haters especially on this site kinda why I wanted to post it on here to see what the critics that can't do had to say

I know he pre-spins a 180... call it what you want its either a ts fs 12 or a hs bs 10. still rad and the grommet kills it defs one to be watching out for in the near future
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       10-12-2012, 5:01 PM Reply   
Threads like these are tiring to read... too much bitching about killer riding. and as to the snowboarders pre-spinning or buttering off lips.. they do. Watch Jussi Oksanen. He has been doing it for years.. and off kickers and cliffs... and its done for style and uniqueness. too much hate people.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-12-2012, 5:06 PM Reply   
Jussi Oksanen cannot be group in the same category as someone pre spinning on a cable kicker. He slips his edge and drops his shoulder wayyyyy low. His is style and technique, the other is slop and lack of control.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-12-2012, 5:17 PM Reply   
So is having an opinion hating these days? I really do not see too much hate in this thread as almost everyone who has been "anti pre-spin" has also given Aaron nuff props for the trick. A difference of opinion is not hating last time I checked.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       10-12-2012, 7:38 PM Reply   
Old    9Drozd            10-13-2012, 8:13 PM Reply   
With the way things are progressing both at the cable parks and behind the wakes, they either need to do one of two things. 1.) Rename tricks for cable 2.) Judge tricks like they are done behind a wake. This would solve this whole pre-spin dilemma. If you rename the tricks, people wont associate the trick to the way its done behind the wake and it will become the new norm at the cable park so that the translation from wake to cable wont have all these varying views of what is a legit trick and what is not. If they keep the names of tricks then I feel that in order to call that trick a certain trick, it should be done exactly like it is done behind the boat. If you can pre-spin off the wake then you can pre-spin off the kicker. If you cant behind the boat, then you shouldn't be pre-spinning off the kicker, that is if they keep the names of the tricks already. Just my .02c
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-14-2012, 4:33 AM Reply   
this is a 1260, end of story. the kid charged in toeside way harder than most of the people on hear would ever think about edging into a kicker and stuck the trick so easily that I wouldn't be surprised if he hits a 1440 soon
Old    9Drozd            10-14-2012, 9:08 AM Reply   
If its a legit 1260 then starting at 2:40 these are legit spins too. http://youtu.be/0v_D1Khpym0
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-14-2012, 5:32 PM Reply   
has anyone done a BS 1080 intentionally yet off a kicker?
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       10-15-2012, 2:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Drozd View Post
If its a legit 1260 then starting at 2:40 these are legit spins too. http://youtu.be/0v_D1Khpym0
I see you aren't familiar with the concept of a kicker. That's ok. Would you like me to define the difference between a slider and a kicker or do you get the sarcastic undertone of this post?
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-15-2012, 5:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_vilfo View Post
has anyone done a BS 1080 intentionally yet off a kicker?
I bet there's been a butter to ts fs 9! ha
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-15-2012, 6:53 AM Reply   
Wakeboarding/Cableboarding doesn't use points-for-tricks system even in competition. It is what it is and if you ask me it is pretty sweet.
Old    9Drozd            10-15-2012, 10:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorjaw View Post
I see you aren't familiar with the concept of a kicker. That's ok. Would you like me to define the difference between a slider and a kicker or do you get the sarcastic undertone of this post?
I see my sarcasm font wasn't working properly. I remembered seeing this video and when someone made the comment about an 18something* spin and 1440* being on the obstacle, it made me think of it. Kidding aside, please enlighten me on how it's a legit 1260 when 180 was done before he left the top of the kicker. Danny Harf did all his rotations in the air, he didn't cheat 180 of it off the wake coming up. So by your deffinition between a slider and kicker, it's ok to spin 180-360 before ever leaving the top of the kicker and tack that on the the total of degrees spun in the air. No wonder everyone and their mom is landing 1260s off the kickers now.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-15-2012, 11:41 AM Reply   
What if the kid spun a full 360 on the kicker then a 1080 off? Would that count as a 1440?

Or am I just not grasping the concept of a kicker.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-15-2012, 12:41 PM Reply   
can we add the 180s on our tic tacks into the wake now?? guys all of a sudden i can do a 720! http://wakeworld.com/news/feature/ho...-tock-360.html lol not to hate, if he really wanted to he could do a 12 without prespinning
Old     (dooie)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-23-2012, 7:45 PM Reply   
what is the difference between doing a 180 on the kicker and doing a 180 as you hit the wake when you land?
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       10-23-2012, 7:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooie View Post
what is the difference between doing a 180 on the kicker and doing a 180 as you hit the wake when you land?
Touche!
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-23-2012, 8:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooie View Post
A good chance of a face plant
Old     (txwakerider14)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-23-2012, 8:54 PM Reply   
One has the consequence of catching and edge with it, the other has no consequences other than criticism
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-24-2012, 4:43 AM Reply   
I don't see any point in saying TS or HS personally.

As far as pre spin goes. I have not seen anyone not pre-spin to some degree on kickers when doing multiple rotations. I personally would leave it so when someone says "Cable 1080" (as an example) by the fact that 'cable' is mentioned you know there may be some pre-spin involved.

No point comparing to boat tricks in my opinion. When you are doing a left foot forward toeside trick behind the boat you pull the trick with pull of the rope towards the middle of the wake. On cable you will be on the outside of the cable (if that makes sense). Coupled with different speeds, kicker vs wake size I wouldn't bother comparing.

But just to keep the debate going....if you believe there is a TS/HS on cable but you don't count pre spin. Does that mean in the initial video the kid approached on his TS but actually it was a HS trick as he had rotated 1080 before leaving the kicker?
Old     (dooie)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-24-2012, 6:19 AM Reply   
if you watch raph derome's run in the wake open on the home page. you can see he pre spins 90 degrees on the double half cab roll. so should we call it a double quarter cab roll instead?
http://vimeo.com/45816503#t=35
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       10-24-2012, 9:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooya View Post
I have not seen anyone not pre-spin to some degree on kickers when doing multiple rotations.
This is utter bull****. It is entirely possible to do multiple rotations off a kicker with no pre-spin.
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-24-2012, 12:03 PM Reply   
who said it wasn't possible? Just because it is possible doesn't mean most people do it.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       10-24-2012, 3:22 PM Reply   
You said you'd never seen it. So you must not have seen any cable riding.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-24-2012, 8:40 PM Reply   
pretty much all of the riders do a 90 when doing the double half cab roll. It doesnt look as good but at least they arent starting off the ramp on their heads
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-25-2012, 1:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
You said you'd never seen it. So you must not have seen any cable riding.
Sure I can only go on what I have seen in person and some vids online; hence why it is was my opinion and not someone else. I am sure not everyone pre-spins on 1080s or more but I reckon out of most riders that we see at cable parks more do than don't. I even watched a video last night of Nick Davies at hipnotics (where I actually saw him in person the same week the vid was shot) and I saw some pre-spins on some tricks that in person I probably wouldn't have.
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-25-2012, 3:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooya View Post
But just to keep the debate going....if you believe there is a TS/HS on cable but you don't count pre spin. Does that mean in the initial video the kid approached on his TS but actually it was a HS trick as he had rotated 1080 before leaving the kicker?
I think you are confusing frontside/backside and heelside/toeside.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-25-2012, 4:34 AM Reply   
I would agree that some or most cable riders pre-spin on some of their tricks. It happens sometimes. However, when somebody celebrates an extremely notable trick, ie 1260, people are going to scrutinize, especially on a habit like prespinning. Extremely impressive feat, no fewer handle passes to be sure, but the first 180 degrees of the trick wasn't done in the air.

Last edited by hawkeye7708; 10-25-2012 at 4:41 AM.
Old     (ettowake)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-25-2012, 6:28 AM Reply   
haters gona hate!
congrats for the trick bro its sick
with time he will wait a litlle more to start spining but to me it is a legit TS1260
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-25-2012, 6:43 AM Reply   
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-26-2012, 6:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
I think you are confusing frontside/backside and heelside/toeside.
Naaa. Some were saying you can't count rotation on the kicker in the jump therefore I was just putting it out there that the position at point on leaving the kicker would thus determine whether you were heelside/toeside.

If you approached the kicker on toeside but rotated 180 on the kicker before released you can not call the trick toeside and you can not count the 180 in total rotation (according to some) hence the trick much really be a heelside trick.

But it was meant as a flippant comment so not to be taken seriously..
Old     (Anaru)      Join Date: Jan 2012       10-28-2012, 1:05 PM Reply   
There are some sad people out there lol. The kid is 16! What an accomplishment! I wish I had half his skills!
This thread reminds me of the Matty hasler thread when every1 had a sook.
Haters gon hate! Warriors gon type, and shredders gon shred!
Old    9Drozd            10-28-2012, 2:30 PM Reply   
No one here has hated on the kids skills. The kid definitely kills it. Slapping your name to a very rare trick, people are going to pick it apart. If your going to claim a very notable trick like that, do it in a legit manner and leave nothing to question. Thats all that has been "Hated" on here.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       10-28-2012, 4:22 PM Reply   
Perfectly stated^
Old     (Anaru)      Join Date: Jan 2012       10-28-2012, 8:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Drozd View Post
No one here has hated on the kids skills. The kid definitely kills it. Slapping your name to a very rare trick, people are going to pick it apart. If your going to claim a very notable trick like that, do it in a legit manner and leave nothing to question. Thats all that has been "Hated" on here.
I've looked at it many times and I don't see the pre spin I see him hit the kicker on an angle. Who hits the kicker straight on? U can't as u would lose much needed line tension. I say it's legit and really if there was a minute pre spin I don't think it matters as its so small. Not like he was spinning 360 off the kicker lol

I have noticed (as I always read hardly post) that people here hate on cable and cable tricks as its 'easier on cable' then off the wake and rubbish like name tricks differently cos its cable, really it all sounds childish.
Old    9Drozd            10-28-2012, 8:39 PM Reply   
Technically breaking the video down, he spins approximately 200* on the kicker because he does come in at an angle. If you look at how hard he comes in on his toe edge and his direction of rotation you'll notice how he leaves the top of the kicker in this picture so it shows that he does pre-spin.
I'm not arguing on this anymore as ive just come to the point where i dont care. If the pros acknowledged this as a legit 1260 then good for him and keep up the good work. Im glad he gets to add this to his notch on his belt for accomplished tricks.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-23-2012, 9:20 PM Reply   
Hey everybody! Missed you guys but I'm back. I apologize in advance.

This is what I call pre-spin. Dood spins 270 before he leaves the kicker. I can't agree with this being called a 1080, but we can call it a "Butter 1080"

I know some people don't like it when I compare wakeboarding to winter sports, but see how the skier in the vid below is facing the same direction when he lands as when he bombs the hill? That's how you know its still a 1080, since a 900 or 1260 would put him landing assbackwards.

Look at my fancy pictures to see how both riders spin about 270
Attached Images

Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-24-2012, 6:52 AM Reply   
Skiiers do that prespin for style, not to cheat and get around to a 1260 faster. There's a significant difference.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-24-2012, 7:08 AM Reply   
Prespinning to the amount he did in that video seems dangerous! What if he caught an edge and went face first into the kicker at 1:26. There should be consistency throughout sports as far as the labelling of things go, but to my understanding those nose butters for skiiers aren't easy to do, as you have to pop off the jump earlier, concentrate at hitting the lip with the nose of your skiis and then continue to spin.

Maybe the rule shouldn't be "once you pass the lip of the jump you start counting"
and should be --> "once you push off and your board leaves the jump you start counting"
often times riders don't use the whole kicker...and I even do this off the wake sometimes
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-24-2012, 9:09 AM Reply   
"There should be consistency throughout sports"

na...that would make it boring. Sports should be different...even "board sports".
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       11-24-2012, 11:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
Here is what I see (given I'm not throwing 1080s/1260s)

To me he is landing the same direction he is taking off from the kicker .... that means it must be 360/720/1080 ... obviously he does three rotations, so 1080.

He is not landing 180* different than when he leaves the ramp, so not a 180/540/900/1260
Counting pre-spinning means that I have done like 1800* rotations (or more) on boxes with a little lip at the end... I just pre-spun 1440 of it.
The only sound of reason on this whole thread.

Anyone calling this a 1260 needs to remove their head from their rectum.