Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-02-2012, 1:43 PM Reply   
B4 I start know that this is just an idea in my head and there's prob tons of unforseen problems in trying this.

So I know there are still a few riders out there that are stuck in there wake only ways and don't realy enjoy cable. I've been daydreaming of a way to put going wake2wake with the easy accesibility of riding cable.

Ok so imagine a 2tower setup like the 2.0 or endless ride but beef it up about 4 times the size the are now. Giant towers, longggg straitaway, and a cable that's more the size of a ski lift cable. Now take a proven hull design (x star, g series, whatever) and pull the engine and running gear out and weight the **** out of it. Next attach the front of the hull to the cable and either attach the riders rope to a tower on the hull or to the cable behind where the hull is connected. It would basicly just be a cable pulling a purpose made hull pulling a rider. You would have the wake to pull tricks on without having to buy a boat and prob have more hangtime due to the angle the cable pulls you at than when just riding boat.

This is the hard part; when the boatn and rider near the end of the run the operator would bring the hull to a stop then slowly reverse it till the hull turned facing the other direction. If the riders rope was attached to the cable at the same point that the boat is attached to it then the riders rope would need to be on a beefed up version of those guides that u used to see on pylons that get the rope clear of the board racks. This way once the boat slowly spins around the swivleing guid would allow the rider to get to the side while the boat comes by to head back towards the start. The swivle could even have 2 operator controlled solinoids that lock it into posistion when it's time to plane up.

The other idea would be if sumone shaped a twin tip hull that could still throw a good wake. This would simplify the turn arounds. I'm just not sure if it's possible to make a great wake from sumthing that's symetrical.

Like I said this is just an idea in my head that I truly think would be possible on a larger scale than the current 2 tower setups. It would def take a big motor to pull it. Maybe sumone could build one with a pwc hull first and wakeskate it. If that worked then try the fullsize wakeboard version.

Im in no posistion to try and put this together myself and would love to hear u guys opinions on it"more ideas, unforseen problems, ect).

Now if I can put this in pat panokos's head then who knows, maybee it could happen.

Thanks, Joe jones
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       08-02-2012, 2:13 PM Reply   
It's not the worste idea I've ever heard. The rider may just have to bail when he reaches the tower and then it could pick-up the next guy at the dock while the boat is turning around.

New Idea!
Why not pull the boat on a couple underwater cables that run on an underwater track, one cable attached to the bow and one or two to the stern. It could be set up so it truns like a normal boat at the ends, or have an alternate track for wider turns/ double ups. The boat tow cable lengths could be adjusted to change wake size/shape by pulling down on the hull while it's moving with the push of a button, rather than adding weight to it. The rider could get pulled by a regular (or super) tower on the boat so that there is never the chance of running in to the back of the hull because the two cable got off time. While we are at it, we can add the controls in the handle so the rider can adjust speed, wake shape and turn-around while they are riding.

I don't know if I'm having a stroke or a stroke of genious but this actually seems viable. The WPP where you at?

Last edited by JoLo_Si; 08-02-2012 at 2:16 PM.
Old     (RAllison)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-02-2012, 3:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLo_Si View Post
It's not the worste idea I've ever heard. The rider may just have to bail when he reaches the tower and then it could pick-up the next guy at the dock while the boat is turning around.

New Idea!
Why not pull the boat on a couple underwater cables that run on an underwater track, one cable attached to the bow and one or two to the stern. It could be set up so it truns like a normal boat at the ends, or have an alternate track for wider turns/ double ups. The boat tow cable lengths could be adjusted to change wake size/shape by pulling down on the hull while it's moving with the push of a button, rather than adding weight to it. The rider could get pulled by a regular (or super) tower on the boat so that there is never the chance of running in to the back of the hull because the two cable got off time. While we are at it, we can add the controls in the handle so the rider can adjust speed, wake shape and turn-around while they are riding.

I don't know if I'm having a stroke or a stroke of genious but this actually seems viable. The WPP where you at?

Thats what I was thinking...either have underwater cables or some sort of track and have your line connected to the tower on the boat. I believe that could work
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-02-2012, 7:12 PM Reply   
New Idea! Make friends with someone who owns a boat. For the amount of effort and money that would have to go into something like that, it would be cheaper to pay gas money to a stranger you met at the dock, or pay for a set at a place like OWC.
Old     (norwalkbeast)      Join Date: May 2011       08-02-2012, 8:07 PM Reply   
That is a pretty sick idea!! Would the hulls of the boats need to be more re-enforced If you are pulling them like that and having them loaded with weight because i would think there would be a lot of extra strain on them? I do like the idea of the underwater cable or track system. I think that could work though.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-03-2012, 12:38 AM Reply   
ha ha well you're thinking outside the box!

To be honest though I dont think its practical enough for anyone to even attempt it. The truth is you would be much better just building a series of kickers at normal wake height.

Cable is cable and boat is boat, both awesome enough on their own.
Old     (norwalkbeast)      Join Date: May 2011       08-03-2012, 7:13 AM Reply   
So lets make them twice as awesome by putting the two of them together! Lol
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-03-2012, 7:51 AM Reply   
I think the biggest issue is instead of moving a 100-200 pound rider, you are hoping to push a 5,400 pound boat (dry weight G23). The energy to move that much weight is significantly higher.

I think the only way around that would for the hull system to be pulled by an underwater track that the other guys have mentioned. If one had the ability to shorten the guide wire attachment thingy, you would be able to essentially pull the hull deeper into the water. As expensive as a full size cable is, I think cost will be your greatest hurdle. That and keeping it running, there would be a lot of strain on the system at all times.
Old     (onecrazyredhead)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-03-2012, 8:08 AM Reply   
Just put the cable in a wake pool
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-03-2012, 8:15 AM Reply   
Under water system sounds great. I have a boat, remember this is just an idea in my head.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       08-03-2012, 11:17 AM Reply   
Or... Just ride behind a boat. I fail to see the point of this.
Old     (johndoe30o)      Join Date: May 2006       08-03-2012, 12:26 PM Reply   
I have always thought it would be cool to have a giant endless pool kind of set up where the hull is stationary and the water moves, thus making and endless wake.

I have no idea how possible that would be and what kind of problems it might create, but it works great in my head.
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-03-2012, 12:39 PM Reply   
Cory, because if sumone could build this then u could just pay to ride. Not everyone can afford a wakeboat.
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       08-03-2012, 3:25 PM Reply   
It's just fun to think of new ideas. I'm sure the first time the two tower system was proposed naysayers said "why not just ride behind a ski?".

I can't believe no one has mentioned the remote control handle. I thought that really pushed it over the top.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-03-2012, 4:31 PM Reply   
When it comes to non-functional boats like the boat cable and the endless wakeboard pool idea: I like the hull developmental idea of it more than anything. You could make the absolute most monsterous wake possible because you wouldnt be worried about the traditional concerns like beam width, water over the bow driving characteristics, etc. Just a ridiculous wake hull that you could constantly manipulate if you wanted. The only drawback would be no double ups...but then again, every hit could be double up size with the setup I am imagining. Needless to say you would need incredibly DEEP pockets to be the first one to market with this type of idea.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-03-2012, 4:33 PM Reply   
How do you reduce chop in a pond? When you add wake to the equation, you add chop. You will need a floating barrier system that allows the chop one way, but not the other.
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-06-2012, 4:09 PM Reply   
Yeah, I can't imagine how sick of a wake would be possible if the engineers didn't have to worry about handling or prop and rudder. Could be cool if sumone had the time and money. I know alot of euro riders would be stoked to get to go w2w with their cable fee!
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-06-2012, 9:01 PM Reply   
How about this idea... Instead of creating a real wake, figure out how to make a fake wake with a cable running overhead. I'm thinking something partly submerged and symmetrical that simulates the shape of a wake. I'm thinking kind of in line with those fake waves for surfing where they have a fixed object in the shape of a wave and pump water over it, except in this case a fixed wake shape running under a cable that the rider passes over right to left and then left to right.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-06-2012, 10:12 PM Reply   
How about this....
Only Remove the prop (drag) and rudder. heavily harness the boat so it can't move forward, backward, side, side in10 ft depth water. The only thing that can be adjusted is the depth in which how low the boat will sit in the water. Have this set up in a large canal where you can control the speed of the water flow. Let's say.. 24 mph flowing water in the canal river etc. rider is then holding handle at desired rope length that's connected to boats tower. Canals water speed increases, rider gets up, boat and rider stays in place while water rushes by to make wake and give the ride a feel as if he's being towed and wakeboarding.
Expensive, dangerous but... Cool i think
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-07-2012, 12:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by durty_curt View Post
How about this....
Only Remove the prop (drag) and rudder. heavily harness the boat so it can't move forward, backward, side, side in10 ft depth water. The only thing that can be adjusted is the depth in which how low the boat will sit in the water. Have this set up in a large canal where you can control the speed of the water flow. Let's say.. 24 mph flowing water in the canal river etc. rider is then holding handle at desired rope length that's connected to boats tower. Canals water speed increases, rider gets up, boat and rider stays in place while water rushes by to make wake and give the ride a feel as if he's being towed and wakeboarding.
Like a wake boarding flow rider.
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       08-07-2012, 5:34 AM Reply   
A Flo Rida seems like a cool idea but you would loose all line tension in the air, making most tricks nearly impossible and landing really hard. IMO
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-07-2012, 6:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by durty_curt View Post
How about this....

^^^^^
This is what I had posted in another thread somewhere on here. The issue that I have not figured out is the moving water when you crash. With normal boat riding when you crash or let go of the rope you slow down but with the moving water it just keeps going. This would create some crazy falls and an interesting swim out with a board on your feet. Reminds me of that thread about the delta and the pumps sucking the rider toward it.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-07-2012, 6:33 AM Reply   
Yeah i thought about that too.. Along with what happens when you fall
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-07-2012, 7:10 AM Reply   
Here's the thing about dragging a weighted hull around on a cable... how many good hits could you actually get? For the best result, the object that's creating the wake has to be traveling in a straight line right? The only cable park I've been to is TSR and I know they only have two long straightaways (the area between the motor tower and the first turn and the area on the far side of the island). On those straightaways, you might could get one to two hits max on the wake before the object creating it would have to turn. What happens if there's a rider down in front of the giant hull that's being towed in a circle? Could you get out of the way? Could a noob get out of the way? Would it be a cable only one rider could use at a time? Imagine that line as you walk to the dock for the first time that day.... yikes!

If the hull idea would ever work I would think its best bet would be to be pulled behind something like a long system 2.0 that only goes in a straight line. Not too sure how it would work when you needed to turn around though...
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       08-07-2012, 8:52 AM Reply   
If you were going to pull a hull with underwater cable like my idea it would have to be in a dedicated lake, like the boat lake at OWC and it would be one rider at a time. I think it would be to dangerous for multiple riders, like if there were two hulls on a long oval. If one rider falls they would both have to stop which would be annoying, other wise the fallen rider is in real danger.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-07-2012, 8:56 AM Reply   
Kinda reminds me of Pirates of Carribean ride at Disney World
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-07-2012, 9:13 AM Reply   
Ryan. Yeah there's no way it would work on a fullsize cable. I was thinking a 2.0 that four times bigger, stronger, and longer.

Maybe instead of pulling a boat hull it could work pulling sumthing that is semisubmersable. Like a giant torpedoe or sumthing. Then you could call it the towpedoe!!! Lol
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-07-2012, 9:34 AM Reply   
Ok, so the more I think about it the more the torpedoe design makes sense. It would be towed from above with an underwater guide wire to keep it tracking straight. It would be a twin tip shape that would float when not moving but would pull itself deeper in the water the faster it went. It would be attached to the cable on both ends and the riders rope would be attatched between the two spots that the semisubmersible is attatched. Then the riders rope would run through a guide pole or boom that swivles. This would allow the rider to simply swim a few feet to the side at the end of a run so the towpedoe could slowly start in the other direction until there's tension on the riders line.

I agree that this wouldn't serve much purpose here in the states cuase it would be much easier to just ride boat but this could be viable in Europe where boat access is almost non exsistent.

Like I said b4, there's probly tons of unforseen probs that could keep this from working but I'm bored at work just daydreaming so quit bursting my bubble!!! Hahaha.

Yo mr vonLerchenfeld; get to work on this ASAP!!! LOL.

I was digging the idea of a flowrider for wakeboarding until sumone mentioned the line tension thing.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-07-2012, 9:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaLurker View Post
Ryan. Yeah there's no way it would work on a fullsize cable. I was thinking a 2.0 that four times bigger, stronger, and longer.

Maybe instead of pulling a boat hull it could work pulling sumthing that is semisubmersable. Like a giant torpedoe or sumthing. Then you could call it the towpedoe!!! Lol
I wonder how deep the lake would have to be to support a torpedo? I might have though of something though...

If any of you have been to Schlitterbahn here, you've probably been in the "Torrent". Basically they push waves through a lazy river. What if they use technology like that and shoot a wake at an angle towards a rider? They could control the size of the wave(wake), the steepness, and the angle. There's no telling the cost or man-power it would take to get it done though...
Old     (norwalkbeast)      Join Date: May 2011       08-07-2012, 9:41 AM Reply   
If this is idea works I think everybody that contributed in this thread should get to use it first! LOL
Old     (riz)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-07-2012, 11:58 AM Reply   
I hit a boat wake on a system 2.0 at Radar a couple years ago. Got punted. The cable was running over the turn island at one end while the boat was running laps and turning around early before the island.
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-07-2012, 2:25 PM Reply   
That's awesome Riley!!!! Wish I could ride radar!