Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-26-2010, 3:38 PM Reply   
I'm replacing the HU in my 2000 Mobius. It has the stock Kenwood KDC-3022 deck. Will most HUs fit in the same slot and allow me to use the slide down cover? I'm leaning towards the Sony CDX-M60UI at the moment, but would like any suggestions that you may have. FYI, I have an 80GB Zune that I keep my tunes on. Is there even one Zune ready HU out there. I love my Zune, but it sucks that everything is made for the Apple products only.

Thanks,
Jman
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-26-2010, 4:59 PM Reply   
It looks like they are both 1 DIN head units so it should fit right in there. I don't know of any HU's that have a Zune specific peripheral other than just a 3.5 into a 3.5. I'm not a big Sony fan as far as boat and car audio goes. I'd look towards Alpine, Kenwood, Clarion and Eclipse personally.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-26-2010, 5:06 PM Reply   
The MS based Zun and Zen will work with the Sony.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       07-26-2010, 6:42 PM Reply   
I have the Sony you are looking at and love it. It has a standard USB pigtail, so should work, but I would check. I only put in at my wifes request. I use my iPhone only for music (she wanted a HU in case someone brought a CD...)
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-26-2010, 7:33 PM Reply   
I put a CDX-M60UI in my boat this spring. It's a decent head unit, especially for the price. The only thing I don't like is that if you accidentally push in on the volume knob, you end up adjusting the bass, treble, balance,... instead of the volume. Any regular single DIN HU should fit no problem, and work with the face cover. .
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-26-2010, 8:13 PM Reply   
I would vote for a Pioneer. I have haad three sony head units. One in my old truck, one in my last boat (Four Winns OEM) and the one in my current boat. All three had had nothing but problems. The first two have had the CD player quit since it seems Sony doesnt understand making an anti-skip device to save their life. The current one has buttons that stopped working. I have had 4 Pioneer decks that have been nothing but quality products and I currently run one in my truck. The Sony in the current boat will be replaced with a Pioneer this winter. Eclipse makes a nice unit and i have had one of those in my truck until someone decided that they needed it more than I did and appearantly locked doors and a window wasnt enough of an obsticle. I have heard good things on Alpine as well. If you go with a marine unit look at the accesories like the remote units. Alpine has a good line up of marine products to support their decks as well as Pioneer.

Last edited by RPM_DLX; 07-26-2010 at 8:13 PM. Reason: changed
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-26-2010, 8:44 PM Reply   
Yep any 1 DIN should fit. I too would go Pioneer before Sony. Alpine if price is no matter.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-27-2010, 2:54 AM Reply   
Unfortunately, price is a factor. That is why I was looking at this Sony. I'm not a fan of Sony audio, but I have read where a few people were happy with this unit. I liked the 6 preouts on the unit and the fact that it was a marine device. Is there a specific model of some other brand I should look at it? I can spend a little more than the price of this Sony.

Thanks for the help,
Jman
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-27-2010, 9:28 AM Reply   
I shopped around fairly extensively on features for the price, and ended up with the Sony. I don't really use the CD player, so can't comment on skipping. Also I found that a couple of the local boat audio shops keep a few of them on the shelf - seems like they're the best value choice.
Old     (vfrdude)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-29-2010, 3:04 PM Reply   
I replaced the stock Kenwood in my 2001 Outback LS with another Kenwood - Kenwood KDC-X493 - about $170. I went with Kenwood so I wouldn't have to swap out the remote, and I also needed pre-amp out for Front/Rear, and sub.

Last edited by vfrdude; 07-29-2010 at 3:08 PM.
Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-29-2010, 4:24 PM Reply   
JMan, I also have the M60UI and my only complaint about it is that it doesn't have a MUTE/ATT or PAUSE button. I know you can solve this by putting in HSE Revolution and other speed-sensitive volume adjusters, but when picking up a downed boarder, it's nice to be able to just push a button and have it mute for a second, then hit it again to start the tunes back up. Just my .02.
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-29-2010, 4:32 PM Reply   
There is one on the wireless remote...
Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-29-2010, 5:07 PM Reply   
Yeah, I wish I had room for the wireless remote...I ended up with the RMX11M because I had space for it in an open gauge cutout.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-30-2010, 7:52 AM Reply   
I am ruining the Sony cdx gt 700hd and so far I love it easy to use and it gives you the option to run a wired remote to the transom or anywhere you want to put one it also is super easy to control the I pod and it has front rear and sub pre outs a front usb and aux plug in
Attached Images