Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old    david_jackson            06-26-2003, 7:53 PM Reply   
when u start getting better at wakeboarding and into harder more difficult tricks do u get knocked out at all like does it happen alot or is it like once in a life time and if u have been knocked out tell me how and wut trick u were doing
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-26-2003, 8:20 PM Reply   
You can get knocked out doing anything. But if your worried, buy a helmet.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-26-2003, 8:32 PM Reply   
People have been KO'd just catching an edge.
Old     (jamesb)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-26-2003, 9:31 PM Reply   
This is one of the main reasons that you should wear a good life vest. You get knocked out, you have to make sure you float.
Old    shaggydan22            06-27-2003, 9:03 AM Reply   
this and 2 chipped teeth. trying a whirlybird. and i stayed in the bindings.
Old    shanday            06-27-2003, 9:36 AM Reply   
I know all about catching an edge. I wasn't KO'd but I did have the wind knocked out of me and my ribs hurt for a while after that. I've also come out of my bindings on a rough landing and the board hit me in the check bone. Not sure what a helmet can do for those kinds of things, but I do wear one now, and I do recommend it. Better safe than sorrry....
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-27-2003, 9:57 AM Reply   
I was ko'd when I was first learning raleys. I brought it down just a tad short and was standing almost straight up. I caught the front edge so hard it folded the board in half upward and ripped both bindings clean off the board. That was back in the day (97?) on a FullTilt Mike Weddington board with Hyperlite Airshock bindings.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-27-2003, 11:49 AM Reply   
Almost happened last weekend (choppy day on the lake)...

About 5 minutes into my pull and was just doing a w2w, when I landed in the flats (not even close to flat though). Landed right between two rollers, board dug in and I looked like superman. Came right out of the bindings. Did not get knocked out, swam back to the board, put it in the rack, brought the rope in blah blah blah, then realized I had no idea where I was! Took a good five minutes before I figured everything out again.

(Message edited by zo1 on June 27, 2003)
Old     (mattbob)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-27-2003, 12:31 PM Reply   
Back roll to revert.
I tried to sneek in the 180 at the last second and caught a little toe side.
I didn't get knocked out but I was very confused. I couldn't remember anything for about 5 hours.
I kept asking what time it was and how long we had been there.
Old    jplorenz            06-27-2003, 12:52 PM Reply   
didn't go black but got very confused after an ill-fated attempt at a backside 360. Got a bit off-axis and landed on my head. Got back in the boat and really didn't know why I was there, why my buddy Bob was in the boat, why I was missing work (at 9 am on a Saturday!!), etc... I sat on the swim step trying to put it all together when my wife figured out that I was pretty much in la-la land and hauled me back in the boat. It took me about 2-3 hours to really get back to "normal".
Old    stormrider            06-27-2003, 1:04 PM Reply   
Nothing better than crashing hard and hearing the helmet getting whacked and then coming to the surface to see people leaning over the boat laughing and asking how you are, and telling them you feel fine.
Pro-Tec Shapiro with ear flaps to minimize risk of rupturing an eardrum.
Helmets are cool.
Old    abk22            06-27-2003, 1:16 PM Reply   
I was learning a batwing and on the landing caught my toeside and got dumped out of the bindings face first into the water and got knocked out and began to slip under the water (no jacket) when a mermaid swam along and carried me away to her enderwater grotto where she gave me mouth-to-mouth to keep me breathing. Oh wait that was just my dream last night!

nah but face planted many a time and wanted to slip under the surface and die.
Old    david_jackson            06-27-2003, 1:28 PM Reply   
yeah i feel pretty hard this weekend doing a 3 and i cracked 2 ribs and i was all dizzy it also hurts when your eye smacks the water when u fall is this just me or do other ppl hit the water with their eyes wide open
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-27-2003, 1:49 PM Reply   
On tuesday while boarding one of my friends caught the front of his board on a w2w. He went to the Dr that night, turned he bruised his heart.
Old    lakesideluver            06-28-2003, 11:00 AM Reply   
shaggy dan what caught you a fin man???? ouch .....i quit boarding after seeing that hahahah right
Old    kid4jah            06-28-2003, 12:48 PM Reply   
thats just got to down right suck
Old    nobrains14            06-28-2003, 1:38 PM Reply   
I was just doing a backroll on a choppy day and didnt come all the way around on the rotation and the front end of the board dug into the water. the board came clean off my feet and my brains came clean off my head, i was seeing stars.
Old    staticlullaby            06-28-2003, 4:12 PM Reply   
two summers ago at shasta one foot came out of the bindings midair (how???) and that side of the board smacked my head when i hit the water. minor concussion, 30 stitches to reattach the bottom half of my hear to my head.