Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 22, 2006

Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-11-2006, 12:28 PM Reply   
I can't take it anymore....

We recently moved to the Santa Cruz mtns and every morning I drive past Lexington reservior. It looks like this on most mornings (pic taken today). Is anybody old enough on this board to know the history on why power boats are no longer allowed? Anybody aware of any "discussion" regarding allowing them on a limited basis?

If it keeps looking like this, I will also need to know the approximate response time for law enforcement and the penalty for lauching a power boat and riding this place.

Upload
Old     (69flyguy)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-11-2006, 1:12 PM Reply   
Hold onto that pic/memory...
It's usually not that full for very long...
25 days of rain in March this year wasn't normal
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-11-2006, 1:17 PM Reply   
its bad driving past crystal springs resivoir every day to work...soo glassy.
Old     (trakkerguy)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-11-2006, 1:54 PM Reply   
Yeah, I've gotta admit, I remember when power boats were allowed. Used to see some nice bikinis out there, for sure. I can't recall the details, but it was a turf war, where power boats destroyed the peace of others. Kind of like we feel about jetskis...

Also, it got pretty crowded and was dangerous. Looking at it now, I agree, It's just too small of a lake in too populated an area.
Old     (rubin)      Join Date: May 2006       05-11-2006, 2:16 PM Reply   
I talked to a ranger there once who said it was unsafe to power boats because of some crap about "underwater islands"... But I've seen the water level fluctuate ALOT and have never seen any thing out there...

I dont think size is much of a problem either, just put a daily limit on it like the other lakes in the area. Its alot bigger than Calero...

Danny

P.S. First post

(Message edited by rubin on May 11, 2006)
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-11-2006, 7:04 PM Reply   
Power boats were allowed for years. I water skiied there a couple of times in the mid 70's. I think it was overrun with PWC's sometime in the early 90's and due to noise and accidents all boats were banned. Now I believe only those skinny racing rowboats are allowed! I'm not sure any sort of launch ramp is still there even if you wanted to poach.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       05-11-2006, 10:45 PM Reply   
Rich states it right, there was a noise ordinance put in place that eliminated boating. People would run drag boats at 6 am and generally upset the neighbors. Guys at work talk about skiing there in the morning on their way to work "back in the day". The levels have not been that high in the recent past because of the work being done to the water supply system that passes through the dam.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-14-2006, 10:18 AM Reply   
i thought lexington was drinking water, thats why they dont allow boats?? I to commute to santa cruz every am, and its unreal how glassy the water is in the am!!

Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       05-15-2006, 11:04 PM Reply   
Just about every reservoir provides some drinking water yet we boat in many of them. Water treatment facilities make it drinkable unless it has MTBE in it. Just can't fix that one yet.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-16-2006, 7:08 AM Reply   
Isn't that kind of a Tree-hugger area?

"Now I believe only those skinny racing rowboats are allowed"

hahaha
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-16-2006, 9:39 AM Reply   
Tree huggers.....they mostly stay on the santa cruz side of the hill. Ok, so does anybody know what the fine would be for launching and riding in a no riding lake? (yes, there is still a usable ramp)
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-16-2006, 1:21 PM Reply   
ha, ha, ha... Yeah, I drove by there last summer and thought the same thing. It was later afternoon and the water was absolutely flat. They should just do what Anderson does and limit the number of boats on the lake.
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-16-2006, 3:13 PM Reply   
i have the same thoughts about the lake on the side of 280 on the way to the city from san jose.

A little history lesson: lexington resevoir is acutally named after the town that is buried(wrong word I know) underneath the water. when the lake is really low you can see part of the old structures