Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 13, 2007

Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       04-17-2007, 1:54 PM Reply   
I am looking to add more ballast to my engine compartments. I only have 200 lbs in each compartment. I want more.
I normally run 750 in the ski locker, and another 750 lb sack on top of the walk through. I am looking to upgrade to 450 or more in each engine compartment and add 350 to the bow so I can eliminate the second big sack in the walkthrough.
Problem is - I have two batteries in the right engine compartment and can't get a larger sack. Has anyone here ever used hard containers to hold ballast? Suggestions?
I believe this will be easier than moving the batteries - unless you have done that?

thanks for the help!
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-17-2007, 2:07 PM Reply   
Never done it, but i would think moving the batteries would be the easiest and cheapest way... Put them under one of the seats in the boat.
Old     (hemihauler)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-17-2007, 3:11 PM Reply   
If you move the batteries and you increase the run you will have to use larger gauge cables which can get expensive.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-17-2007, 3:15 PM Reply   
Why would you have to increase the guage? Wouldnt you just need longer cables?
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-17-2007, 3:18 PM Reply   
Id rather spend a lil extra money if it is the case and maybe some extra work to have a bigger wake and not have to deal with getting hard tanks for the compartment which isnt going to allow you to have as much weight in the boat.
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       04-18-2007, 6:09 AM Reply   
I was going to try to find tanks nearly as large as the engine compartments. But I have been very interested in moving the batteries... It would free up a lot of room.
The second battery I use is simply connected to the primary starter battery. I use it to power 2 amps and a light bar. Could I get longer cables and move this battery and leave the starter (primary) battery where it is?
If I were to move both batteries, would I need to find out where the battery runs to the engine and replace that cable at the source wiht a larger one?

Thanks guys
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-18-2007, 6:42 AM Reply   
longer cables would be fine -- NOT larger... you are only talking about a few feet not 20'... Plice the cables together using solder and heatshrink.