Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (kody_a)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-11-2005, 10:09 AM Reply   
DO you think taking pictures with a nikon d50 at night would affect anything. Would it be bad for it.

thanks
Old     (mattyboyr6)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-11-2005, 12:36 PM Reply   
should be fine. Use a tripod and set long exposure times to get nice light trails.
Old     (kody_a)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-11-2005, 5:57 PM Reply   
Thanks, yeh I just didnt want to mess it up. I want to try the fire works thing
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-11-2005, 8:59 PM Reply   
Ek dude is correct! If anything you will get some cool shots! Here's what you can do with a long exposure, a tripod, and steady subjects..

cool

I believe the shutter was open for 15/20 seconds..
Old     (mattyboyr6)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-11-2005, 8:59 PM Reply   
If you set the timer to 30 seconds or more you can use a black sheet of cardboard paper or just cardboard painted black as the shutter. In between bursts place the cardbaord in front of the lens, but don't touch the lens. This way you can get several burst on the same frame.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-18-2005, 7:51 PM Reply   
That's a sweet pic! I wouldn't think three people could hold that still for 15 to 20 seconds.

Did that take alot of shots to get?
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-19-2005, 11:08 AM Reply   
We took about 30-40 shots and played around with the different exposures for each one.

It's cool how you can see the light trails left behind the bugs flying around.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-19-2005, 3:23 PM Reply   
hah! oh dave and you thought it couldnt be done

that shot was i think the third out of a bunch of pics. i played with the aperture and shutter speed to try and find the right combo, but that one was one of the better ones.

playing with long exposure is a LOT of fun. your d50 has an exposure up to 30 seconds, and then a "bulb" setting which allows you to leave the shutter open for as long as you want (or as long as you have batteries haha).

here's another shot that i made at midnite using a long exposure. the white and yellow streaks of light are from cars passing by while the shutter is open. a 20-30 second exposure blurs light and it allows the stars to appear. after i hit the shutter i walked in front of the lens. thats why im partially transparent because the sensor had already collected some information before i was there.

the toughest part about night photography is focusing. no light=no focus confirmation=no AF=trial and error haha.

(Message edited by scott_a on December 19, 2005)
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-19-2005, 3:33 PM Reply   
scott a ~ how do you get in the pic with out trails?
Old                12-19-2005, 4:30 PM Reply   
Fireworks pictures will ruin your camera!

Ok, no they won't.

Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-19-2005, 8:04 PM Reply   
Ant - do you mean the car lights? Well.. just don't have the car drive by..

Ok.. if you mean the slight shadowy trail effect of scott.. Get in position and then use an IR remote. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004WCIC/002-2143408-5246404?v=glance&n=502394

or set the timer, run into position, and wait for the pic to take..

It's a good idea to use the remote when doing long exposures anyways because just touching the shutter button can move the camera ever so slightly..

Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-19-2005, 9:31 PM Reply   
antbug- its a combination of things actually. there wasnt enough light on me to expose much. like in the headlights there is a TON of light so it exposes quickly/easily. with me, i had to stand in front of the pic for awhile for the camera to collect enough light to make a pic of me on the camera. there are times when in 5 minutes exposures people will walk across the frame freely and as long as there isnt any direct light on them the amount of time they are in front of the lense is very insignificant to the amount of time that that rest of the pic is in front of the lens.

yes. very terrible explanation. basically the longer the exposure is the more you can fudge with the image in low light conditions and still have pics come out. its just weird. play with it...its fun.

and yes, there is a wired shutter release remote for the canon cameras. i would HIGHLY suggest getting it because pressing the shutter on your camera body might move the camera just enough to blur the image...

yeah...all you camera gurus are very likely cringing at this post. horrid explanation. again, my apologies hahaha
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-20-2005, 9:02 AM Reply   
Thanks Scott and Fu. No worries about the post. I understand what you are saying. I'm still new to all of this, but any little extra info like this just makes you think of different ways to shoot stuff.

Thanks again and great pics.
Old     (mattyboyr6)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-20-2005, 6:26 PM Reply   
If you dont want to spend the money on the bulb or remote use the timer function.

Also shooting night boarding with the rider wearing glow sticks is cool. And if I had any idea where those pics were I would post a few.