Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (ridemyzamboni)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-08-2005, 7:06 PM Reply   
Anybody have any experience with the new Sony or JVC HD digital video cameras? If so what did you think? Would you one of these over a prosumer canon or panasonic video camera? or other high end camera?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-08-2005, 8:39 PM Reply   
no i wouldn't. as far as i know. sony and jvc aren't "true" hd.
Old                12-09-2005, 7:11 AM Reply   
if its under 3000 it isnt 3ccd
Old                12-10-2005, 10:05 AM Reply   
"if its under 3000 it isnt 3ccd"

what do you mean by this? if an SD or is it an HD camera under 3k$? because there are a handfull of SD cameras under 3k$ with 3ccd's.

what do you mean by "true" HD?

the sony and JVC cameras are HDV and record to minidv tape compressed (i believe its 4:2:2 or something). now if you could record it 4:4:4 some how, that would be awesome.

Old                12-10-2005, 4:49 PM Reply   
the resolution is better but the actual picture quality would be 1ccd. If you are talking about the HD cameras they advertise for around 1500, youd be better off getting a 3ccd reg. dv cam
Old     (ridemyzamboni)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-10-2005, 6:58 PM Reply   
Ok wat about the Sony HDV-FX1 or the canon GL2 and some add-ons such as a waterhousing. Which one would be the better purchase, the sony camera or the canon bundle?

(Message edited by ridemyzamboni on December 10, 2005)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-10-2005, 7:01 PM Reply   
i would get a panasonic ag-dvx100b before i got a sony "hd" cam. but that's just me.

now, if money wasn't an issue, it'd be the panasonic ag-hvx200 and record onto a hard drive.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-11-2005, 2:43 PM Reply   
HDV is not HD, but it is still great. you cant tell them apart if it is handled in post-production correctly. watch the episode of american chopper when mickey goes around filming with a Z1(on discoveryHD or course). the footage is seemless. you cant tell the 75k Pannys form the 4k Sony.

The Sony Z1 is being used in Hollywood as a crash(disposable) cam when needed. to me it is the best HDV camera out there. I am yet to try Canon's new hdv camera, but it didnt like the XL2 so i dont think i will like it either. i may be wrong.

the biggest question is, do you want 720p or 1080i?
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-11-2005, 9:10 PM Reply   
break the bank and go with the Panasonic HVX200... everyone has got $9000 on hand... right?

Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-12-2005, 2:36 AM Reply   
I would say the HVX to for sure but, then honestly what are you using it for? Thats what the main question should be. . .
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-12-2005, 9:02 AM Reply   
Shoot home videos of the kids... Christmas, birthdays, etc...

In all seriousness Travis does bring up a good point and I left out a key factor about the HVX200... Storage! When shooting with HVX200, in HD (the highest resolution), you are looking at almost 1 GIG per minute of footage... That means you'll need 200 GIGs of hard drive space for 2 hours... Not only that, but $9500 will only get two 8 gig P2 cards so that means roughly 15 minutes of footage before you have to transfer it to a computer or another storage device. The P2 cards are hot swappable so you can rotate them every 7 minutes, but another 8 gig P2 card will run you $1700 or so.. Of course unless you go with a FireStore system which is about $1500-2000 and will hold roughly 100 minutes..

Something to consider...

Now about winning the lottery this month!
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-12-2005, 9:02 AM Reply   
Shoot home videos of the kids... Christmas, birthdays, etc...

In all seriousness Travis does bring up a good point and I left out a key factor about the HVX200... Storage! When shooting with HVX200, in HD (the highest resolution), you are looking at almost 1 GIG per minute of footage... That means you'll need 200 GIGs of hard drive space for 2 hours... Not only that, but $9500 will only get two 8 gig P2 cards so that means roughly 15 minutes of footage before you have to transfer it to a computer or another storage device. The P2 cards are hot swappable so you can rotate them every 7 minutes, but another 8 gig P2 card will run you $1700 or so.. Of course unless you go with a FireStore system which is about $1500-2000 and will hold roughly 100 minutes..

Something to consider...

Now about winning the lottery this month!
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-12-2005, 1:16 PM Reply   
ha...enter Avid DNxHD codec.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-12-2005, 2:26 PM Reply   
Isn't the Avid DNxHD codec for post only?

You still have to store the original HD footage somewhere and in the case of the HVX200, it's not cost effective to keep it on the P2 cards.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-12-2005, 3:10 PM Reply   
Dave,

Is HD100 the only hd format the HVX records?
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-12-2005, 5:09 PM Reply   
RD - Yes, it's their DVCPRO HD (100 Mbps) which you can only capture with the P2 card or an external capture device like the FireStore or CinePorter CP-2.

It also shoots in 3 SD modes; DV, DVCPRO, and DVCPRO-50.
Old                12-15-2005, 3:11 PM Reply   
The advantages of the new cheaper Sony cameras are:
1. They have the same resolution as the other 1080i HDV cameras (though with only 1 CMOS sensor the color isn't quite as good).
2. They're small! This is a big advantage on a boat with lots of gear.
3. They're cheap! Do you really want to take a camera that costs $5-10k on a boat with water, sand, etc.? Maybe if you're doing pro work, but maybe not if you're just doing it for fun.

Anyway, an example of what can be done with the Sony HC1 is available at the link below. Note that the original has much better resolution and less compression than the file on the web.

Bill
http://dsp.ucsd.edu/~wgardner/BillJuggle.wmv
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-10-2006, 1:35 PM Reply   
So what's everyone's opinion on the best video camera to get for < $2,000. I have been into video editing for some time but I have never really had a good camera. I know this is probably a loaded question, but I'm looking for ideas on prosumer cameras.

Bill I'm pretty impressed by that video and quality, but how does the HC1 perform in high action shots?
Old                01-10-2006, 2:59 PM Reply   
I own the Sony HDR-HC1 HDV 1080i HandycamŽ Camcorder. I came from a JVC junker and it seems to be just as good as the quality you watch on HD sports games. (asuming the lighting is right). I got this for around 3000 canadian when it 1st came out. For my purposes... great camera. It was rated the best camera under 2000$$ american