Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-22-2005, 6:06 PM Reply   
i have a jl 500/1 amp and i was wondering witch is better the 10w7 or the 12w6v2? witch one would be louder and sound better? any input would be nice...
Old                11-23-2005, 8:13 PM Reply   
sounding better is all personal preference when it comes to audio or anything. some people might like a subwoofer with a frequency range of 20hz-100hz, and some might like one with a little higher frequency range.

usually amps are rated at their peak wattage. for example, an amps peak wattage is about 600watts, but its about 300watts RMS (constant power). so that means you can supply 300 watts contiuous to a single subwoofer. now if you had two subwoofer, that would only be 150watts RMS for each subwoofer, and technically it would reproduce the same amount of volume and all depending on what level they are turned up to.

i'm sorry but i dont know what a 10w7, or 12w6v2 is, or maybe i could help.

generally i like a subwoofer in the frequency range of 20hz-100hz because it picks up all the tones i like to hear through low frequency. i honestly would only use like 1-12" subwoofer as well. thats enough bass for a car or boat, unless you plan on entering competitions.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-26-2005, 3:40 PM Reply   
go with the 12w6 in a slotted ported box. The w7's are notorious for overheating with extended play time. they are comp. subs. Secondly the 500/1 isn't enough power to power one anyway
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-28-2005, 9:28 AM Reply   
Bigger sub = more bass

Depending on your listening tastes you may prefer a 10. If you like snappy bass and listen to rock and roll then the 10 may be a good call. If you listen to any rap or hip-hop at all then you will most likely prefer the 12.

A ported enclosure will provide more bass but it will come at a cost, the box will need to bigger, the bass will not sound as tight, and the sub will more prone to overexcursion.

With my broad music tastes and appreciation for storage space in the boat a sealed box 12 provides the best solution.

One more thing... you should not really base your sub choice on the amplifier. I don't like to recommend specific brands or model numbers. Pick a long throw sub (large Xmax number), high efficiency motor structure and good power handling capabilities. If looks and name brands are important to you then go with those that you like.