Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-11-2005, 3:13 PM Reply   
Well i have come to the conclusin i want a 20d or Xt. I was looking at buying a used 20D of of Fredmiranda.com.

Sorry for all the posts.

Zach
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-11-2005, 6:31 PM Reply   
Specs don't tell the whole story, the 20D handles way better then the XT. It focuses faster, shoots faster and is just way more snappy. It's worth the difference if you can swing it.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-11-2005, 9:57 PM Reply   
20D>rebel XT without a doubt.
Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-12-2005, 9:50 PM Reply   
OK i have a question if i got a 20D could i sacrafice getting a cheap lens like the 75-300 usm lens instead of the 70-200f4l and yes i am going to get that sooner or later because the 20d has such better insides unlink the 350D. because i know on the xt its nicer to have a faster lens since its not the fastest compared to the 20D. dont get me wrong but the 350D is a GREAT camera but compared to the 20D the 20D is better.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-12-2005, 10:21 PM Reply   
put it this way: the lens creates the picture and the camera records it. why spend a thousand bucks on a camera if you are just gonna plop a crappy lense on the front of it? get what im saying? i understand what youre saying that since the camera is better you dont think you'll need as good of a lens. its actually the complete opposite. the better the body, the nicer shots it can take so it BEGS to be used with nicer lenses.

if you go with the 20D, pony up the $$ for the 70-200. it wont disappoint. i promise. if youre strapped for cash thats one thing, but if youre looking for solid ass pics, then id get the 70-200.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-13-2005, 4:42 AM Reply   
Listen to Scott !
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-13-2005, 8:33 AM Reply   
As Walt/Scott have posted I would invest $ in lenses first and bodies second. You're not going to see major technology changes in lenses the way you will with bodies over the next few years. You will undoubtedly get more keepers with the 20D over the XT initially but as your skill level goes up along with that comes an understanding of how different the image quality is between an L lens and a consumer lens. Your collection of lenses will always be there for you while the bodies will come and go. I've seen pictures I could only dream of taking on the photo forums from the Rebel but they were usually done with a top quality lens.

It's good to remember one other thing as well, 1.6X crop cams like the Rebels, 10 & 20D only use the center portion of the lens and hide a lot of the image quality issues that will show up on 1.3X or full frame imagers. And Canon has expressed a committment to lower cost FF imagers with the introduction of the 5D. A lens that looks great on a 1.6X crop imager may not be so great on a FF. When you buy an L lens you're paying for reasonable image quality across the full plane of the lens. So it's nice to know your lens collection won't turn to cr@p if you end up with a better body. I think (hope) Canon's next offering will be a 1.3X crop sports body, 10-11mp with 1D speed/AF priced under $2000.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-13-2005, 2:06 PM Reply   
wouldnt that be a bit of a pipe dream, RD? hell, why not include 8.5fps like the 1DmkIIN haha. i think if canon DID make a body like that for anywhere near $2K i think you'd see a drop in 1D sales.
Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-13-2005, 5:05 PM Reply   
How does the 10d compare to the 20d?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-13-2005, 6:31 PM Reply   
Sooner or later that cow will run out of milk Scott, the 1V which pretty much has all the 1 series features except that it's film only has always been around 2K I believe. I'm shooting a used 1D which I purchased for 1400$, the original model initially sold for over 7K. They'll strip a few features but it probably will come.

I never liked the 10D I had all that much and it felt sluggish compared to the 20D as well. The 10D was a big deal when it came out though and Canon sold a load of them. The 1D is still a great sports body, heck just about everything in SI from 02 thru 04 was shot with a 1D. They are in the 20D range costwise used.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-13-2005, 8:29 PM Reply   
sweet. when i graduate i wanna move on up from my 10D. perhaps canon will have a new body out by then? if not i'll have to settle for a 20D.
Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-13-2005, 10:17 PM Reply   
Rich is the 10D better than the Rebel Xt? im so confused i dont know if i need all the camera of a 20d or just get a rebel xt or 10D for shure the 20D and the 10D wuld be bought used. Where is a good site for used gear?
Old     (ladyboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-14-2005, 9:32 AM Reply   
Big Wake... go to www.dpreview.com or www.fredmiranda.com
Both of these sites have reviews and forums. Research the cameras and read up on the forums, then make the decision. I'm going to be upgrading from my 300D soon, and there is no doubt in my mind that I'm getting a 20D. I can't afford anything bigger, and I don't want anything smaller or older. Although, I've already taken the step on gotten the 70-200 f/4L glass, and the quality of my shots went up a lot, so now its time to upgrade the body.
Later
Tiff
Old                10-16-2005, 4:37 PM Reply   
I would defiantly recommend the 20D it’s a great wakeboarding camera as well as the 70-200 f4L lens, great lens at a great price. You can look through my wakeboard site, all pictures are taken with the 20D(a few with 10D). If you are looking to buy a used 20D drop me an email because I am about ready to buy a 1d mkII.

http://www.mytwocentsphotography.com/

lance_rudge@hotmail.com
Old     (elduche)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-19-2005, 8:56 AM Reply   
I don't think there is any doubt that the 20d is a better camera, but the XT is also a tremendous camera with a ton of features. I think if you are asking the question "which one is better" the XT will be more than enough camera for you. The features you would be gaining from the 10d or 20d are not worth the $$. As above, you are likely better off to spend any extra money on lenses. I have an XT and think it is a great camera.
Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-19-2005, 3:32 PM Reply   
I think i am going to get a Xt with the 75-300 and then right before wakeboarding season im going to buy a 70-200 f4l. I am doing shoots for my school ie sports and need the camera by the 1st and b&h is closed to the 27th arrgh
Old     (elduche)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-19-2005, 5:36 PM Reply   
I too have the 75-300 and I find it works well. It is obviously not an L lense but it still takes some good pictures. You wont be dissapointed with the XT! good luck!
Old     (mattyboyr6)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-19-2005, 7:24 PM Reply   
What sports are you shooting for your school? If you are shooting indoors you will need some very wide open glass. A lot of H schools gyms are referred to as dungeons because of their lighting. People have had difficulties using the 70-200f4. This is all based on what I have read at fredmiranda.com not first hand experience.