Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (z28tt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-28-2007, 9:10 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/boots/getboot2.asp?ProductID=1369

Upload

Upload

I’ve been thrilled w/ my Hyperlite board and bindings since I first got into wakeboarding a few seasons ago, but my rear (right) boot is tearing at the top behind the lace inserts. It’s the black/blue/orange 2002 Belmont boot w/ the quick draw laces and Velcro ankle strap. Anyways, Hyperlite said the warranty was only 2 years, and they don't have repair parts for anything past '04, so I'm out of luck. Is it possible to somehow fix the rubber, so the tear doesn't keep growing? I asked if they could mail a strip of rubber that I could rivet to the top of the binding, but the girl on the phone said that they don't deal direct, and I'd have to ask my dealer to make the request. I hate to throw out a good set of bindings when a simple repair should fix it, so if you guys have any ideas, I'm willing to try it. Maybe some bicycle inner tubes & tube patches glued across the tear backed up w/ some rivets would keep it going.
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-28-2007, 9:26 AM Reply   
try using some thick fishing line and "stiching" it back togeather. Ive seen it work a few times...
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-28-2007, 9:39 AM Reply   
Find a pair on ebay to keep for spare parts and swap out the overlay. Would be the least ghetto option if there are any out there to buy anyway!
Old     (lukewtwt)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-28-2007, 9:40 AM Reply   
If you have a dealer close, call and see if they have any spare parts for those boots. That year the overlays tore all the time. When I worked for a shop we had a box full. If you don't have a local contact, try Dustin at Memphis Boat Center. He might be able to find some for you.
www.memphisboatcenter.com
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-28-2007, 1:01 PM Reply   
Buy some new bindings...IMO, a half-assed repair would only increase the likely-hood of an injury.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-28-2007, 1:06 PM Reply   
Yup time for some new bindings.
Old     (h2oterroristo)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-28-2007, 1:13 PM Reply   
I think those tears were actually a warranty issue they addressed after 03. I had the 03 belmonts and they tore right there in 05. I went to my local shop and the dude was like "whoa, yeah we fixed a lot of those awhile ago; I am surprised you made it this long".

He went in the back and came out with 2 brand new overlays with reinforced stitching in that exact spot, and gave them to me for free.

Maybe if you poke around your local shops you can have a similar experience?
Old     (jpg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-28-2007, 1:25 PM Reply   
buy new bindings, LF all the way.
Old     (bigjokerinthebox66)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-28-2007, 10:19 PM Reply   
agreed, LF is the best. you could probably pick up a close out pair of transits for under $200
Old     (slob02)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-29-2007, 5:18 AM Reply   
Ebay.............The year before and the year ofter that are pretty much the same wrap.
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       08-30-2007, 12:18 AM Reply   
take them to your local shop they'll send them in most likely just look to not have your bindings for about 3-4 weeks. i had to do that about 10 times with those bindings i just this year decided not to send them in anymore. it was a defect in the rubber that caused them to tear
Old     (perfski)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-30-2007, 4:53 AM Reply   
I'm not sure we still have these overlays, but can check and if not could update them to the version with the Boa System (Temets). Call the shop at 407-859-7544.

Bill @ Performance.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-30-2007, 7:40 AM Reply   
'LF is the best'- I have seen more pairs of ripped LF than any other binding. You pay $400 for a 1 year warranty which is good, but after a year they don't do crap for warranty work.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-30-2007, 9:52 AM Reply   
Bill has a good idea.

Also what you could do is just punch a couple clean holes on both sides of the tear and zip tie it together; of course, this is only a temporary fix.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-30-2007, 9:56 AM Reply   
.....I agree with the fishing line stich....I did it to and older pair of temets and its holding up good. But having said that you've got good use out of them....so yeah new bindings may be in order
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-30-2007, 11:02 AM Reply   
go with the Temet idea Bill (performance) had. That's what I did when I have the exact issue.

Better yet, get some new bindings. There are so many boots on the market today that kill those Belmonts now!!
Old     (z28tt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-01-2007, 8:53 AM Reply   
Thanks for the advice! I'll give stitching it a shot to get out on the water tomorrow, and will call Bill to see if they have any spare parts. My Vans snowboard boots have the Boa too, and the titanium wire snapped and got replaced once, fwiw. The end of season sales might convince me to snag some new bindings, although buying them mail order is tough, since I have no idea what fits a narrow foot/shin comfortably. Thanks again!