Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       11-27-2005, 6:51 PM Reply   
I am looking for a good digital video cam for christmas, I am wanting something that has good qualtity.. I am gonna use it for mostly wakeboarding and some other stuff too. Please any ideas, info, pics, whatever, anything would be very helpful.. I am starting to get into editing and stuff on my computer, so if that helps. thanks

(Message edited by lyle on November 27, 2005)
Old                11-27-2005, 8:49 PM Reply   
well for around 500$ you are very limited, and your choices for video cameras are going to be all really similar. see if you can get with with these features: manual focus, manual white balance, manual iris and shutter speed, good optical zoom (a little more than 10x for wakeboarding), mic level input, headphone output. i would get a minidv camera because thats going to be the easiest to find and your best bang for the buck. im cannot think of any other characteristics to look for in a camera right now, but someone will chime in if i left something out.

good luck in whatever you decide on.
Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       11-28-2005, 11:30 AM Reply   
thanks man, anyone have any input or any good mini dv cameras??
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-29-2005, 9:46 AM Reply   
good mini dv cam.....Sony Z1.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-30-2005, 2:38 PM Reply   
What are the opinions on the DVD cams? Good, bad or ugly. Seems really convenient for storage of footage.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       11-30-2005, 4:09 PM Reply   
Panasonic has a 3 chip miniDV recorder that records action with great color. I was told the 3 chip color technology is what you want and until Panasonic came out with this camcorder you couldn't touch this technology for less than 1G.
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       11-30-2005, 4:37 PM Reply   
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/

This link shows the websites favorite cams for 2005, by pricepoint. Panasonic cleans up in your pricepoint.

I have a panasonic and like it.
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-04-2005, 12:16 PM Reply   
That's funny, the camera on the link for less than 400 is the camera I had picked out to buy for shooting wake vids next year. My friend who works at Comp USA told me I'd be better off with a built in hard drive camera though. I guess the obvious advantage with the built in hard drive cam is transferring to the computer for editing but what are the disadvantages if any?
Old                12-04-2005, 1:31 PM Reply   
hard drives fill up quick unless it compresses the footage heavily, which will reduce the quality alot. hard drives arent cheap like tapes. theres a pro and a con to each camera.

im not sure how many DVD cameras are compatible with editing software and which editing software at that. last time i checked, the small DVD-+R discs werent that cheap either... but probably cheaper than tapes. you should look a little more into that... the obvious con to a dvd camera is once you record to the disc, theres no erasing and re-recording over it, unless its a DVD-+RW.
Old                12-08-2005, 6:37 PM Reply   
the panasonic pvgs150 is great, i have that and a canon GL2, the resolution on the panasonic is actually slightly better than the GL2, my only compaints are that on the panasonic..the autofocus sucks and you cant do timelapse, but its a great camera for my epic housing.