Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-07-2005, 12:32 PM Reply   
A friend of mine taped some wakeboarding last month. I didn't check out their camcorder but I'm guessing it was a Super 8 model. Is there a way to get the footage off the tape to digital format??
Old     (suckbuthavefun)      Join Date: May 2003       11-07-2005, 1:36 PM Reply   
If their camera has an rca out and yours has an in, I think you can hook them up and record it....I think
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-07-2005, 1:57 PM Reply   
what if i don't have a camera at all?
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-07-2005, 2:09 PM Reply   
actually, you are probably right as you hook up the camcorder to your tv to view the video, like a vcr.
So if you could hook it to a digital input, you could record what you're playing.
Unfortunately, the only thing I have is a computer.
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-07-2005, 4:42 PM Reply   
If you have a pc then pinnacle has a "capture" card that has this device that attaches to it that has fire wire, RCA in & out. I use to have it but it came as a package though, the ÒDX500Ó I think. It came with that and Adobe Premier 6.0, but then I got my new system. Thinking about it, I still got the software and the card. IÕm not using it if you are interested. Its a pretty legit setup, But IÕm not sure if you were looking for all of that just to look at the footage.
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-07-2005, 4:42 PM Reply   
or you just find some one with another camera that has an input.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-08-2005, 6:22 AM Reply   
Travis,
How much would you be looking to get for the software? Is Adobe 6.0 pretty outdated now?
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-09-2005, 5:14 PM Reply   
im not really sure man, im not looking to make $$$ off it of anything. The main thing you really paying for is the capture card and device. You can always get the new version. But i dunno man make me an offer.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-06-2005, 11:16 AM Reply   
I use an Adaptec capture card that came with "My DVD" software from Sonic. This cost me around $49.

You basically hook up your camcorder to the capture device with RCA cables and then the capture device connects to your computer with a USB cable. This does an okay job of getting your analog video to your computer, but you definitely lose a ton of quality by doing so. The finished product is very grainy and tends to jump a little during play back.

After transferring 3 years of my kids and family video from Hi8 to DVD and seeing how bad the quality is, I am definitely now in the market for a digital camcorder.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-07-2005, 5:30 AM Reply   
Sounds like you need to identify exactly what kind of camera it is. Super 8 is film so I'm assuming you just guessed totally at the name. 8mm or Hi8 you'll need a DAC (digital/analog convertor) or a mini DV camera with analog I/O. digital 8 or mini DV you can use firewire with one of the solutions mentioned above.
Old                12-08-2005, 7:14 AM Reply   
you just need to get yourself a capture card and soem editing software... usually the capture cards come with editing software.