Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       09-20-2005, 8:19 AM Reply   
Could you guys give me some opinions on this computer and how it would perform as a video editing machine. If you don't recommend it, why not what would you recommend? Also, what should I look for when getting a monitor? I was probably looking for an LCD flat screen. Any specs I should pay attention to? See the attached link for the computer specs. Thanks.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?CategoryName=cpu_RBSeriesdesktops&ProductSKU =VGCRB42G&TabName=specs&var2=
Old                09-20-2005, 1:55 PM Reply   
you're better off building your own computer for editing IMO...
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       09-20-2005, 1:59 PM Reply   
I don't know how to build my own or I would consider it.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-22-2005, 6:30 PM Reply   
get one from the dell outlet. its basically refurbed computers with good warrenties. you can get almost new dell computers for less than half price.

that Vaio has a crap video card. i tell people to get a video card that is good for playing games and they will be ok. the Ati X800 series do really well and are decently priced right now.
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       09-23-2005, 8:23 AM Reply   
Are video cards only good for gaming or will it help the graphics when editing video too? I never play games is why I'm asking. I got a DVI monitor, so I want to get a DVI card sooner or later. I was told to not even mess with a video card unless I wanted to spend over $100. Is that true? Would buying a cheap ($50-$75) video card that supports DVI be worth it or should I not even bother unless I get something more expensive?
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-23-2005, 11:38 AM Reply   
I guess I should clarify the point I was trying to make on WB.com... For video editing alone you do not need a super fancy video card like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?tem=N82E16814170088 (unless you are doing 3-D or some serious gaming.)

Here's an example.. In year 2000 my editing system was using the matrox dual-head video card with only 32 megs on-board memory.. Most cards these days come with 128…

1) Do you want to do 3-D, CAD, or gaming?
2) Do you want to run multiple monitors?

If you answer "NO" to both questions above then you can get away with most video cards. Just make sure to find one with the correct interface for your mobo (AGP 4X/8X, PCI Express x16, etc..) and with a DVI out for you monitor.

Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       09-23-2005, 12:21 PM Reply   
Ok, I ended up buying the sony in the above link. The major flaw as noted is the graphics card. The 19" monitor I bought supports both analog and DVI, so obviously I would like to hook up the DVI, but the computer doesn't support it at this time. I may look into adding a second monitor down the road. I do not play games on my computer, so that doesn't really matter to me. I will be using it to mainly edit videos and surf the web. So, that being said, can you recommend a video card that will support DVI and possibly two screens in the future? I would like to stay under $75 if possible, but I want something that will put out the best picture possible. That sony supports the newest PCI-Express cards. Thanks a lot for the help!
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-23-2005, 12:35 PM Reply   
Good graphics cards also help 2D applications as well. I just use the term "gaming" as a general term. It doesnt have to be the most sophisticated gfx board on the block. But normally "gaming" cards do a dam fine job.

I would stay away from a cheap card as well. check pricewatch.com for the best prices. You can get a Ati x800gt for around $165 shipped.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-30-2005, 4:14 AM Reply   
If you have a card that supports VGA, just get another card that supports DVI and use them both for dual monitors. You don't need a card that supports two monitors on one card. That way you can use both cards without "wasting" the one you just bought.
Old                10-17-2005, 4:20 PM Reply   
an x800XT or GT?
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-18-2005, 12:00 PM Reply   
XT is better(more powerful and expensive) but the GT would be more than plenty.