Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (dbjts)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-23-2005, 3:51 AM Reply   
I’m looking to invest in a digital camera mainly for use with wakeboarding and other fast action events, the one I have now is so old it’s powered by coal and you need a time delayed fuse to take a picture. Money no object within reason but my technical knowledge could be written on the back of a postage stamp and still leave room for my address.
You know the advice I’m looking for shutter speed resolution megapixals digital and optical zooms etc. I don’t want something so big that I need a suitcase to carry it or so technical that I need to go back to college for three years to operate it.
Ideally I want someone to say yes what you need is a XYZ1 its good quantity and easy to use, and then 10 more people to say yes thats the one to get.

(Message edited by dbjts on June 23, 2005)
Old     (dbjts)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-23-2005, 8:28 AM Reply   
That’s good QUALITY not QUANTITY
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-23-2005, 5:04 PM Reply   
Dave,
Try DPreview.com they have really good camera reviews.

I had a Nikon 5700 (now called 8700) and it did a really good job for a compact camera.
A 8X zoom should be enough for wakeboarding and I would look for 5 meg or higher.
I would also look for a camera that has at least 1000 and higher shutter speed.

I now use a Canon Rebel and love it. It's really easy to use and takes great wake pics but it might be physically to large for your taste and it takes different lens for different applications.

Good luck,
Walt
Old     (dbjts)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-23-2005, 11:40 PM Reply   
Thanks Walt that’s a great site. The Nikon is now an 8800 frightening isn’t it as soon as you get one out of the box its been superceded by the next model.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-24-2005, 5:10 AM Reply   
No doubt...It's hard to keep up.
Old                06-24-2005, 9:07 PM Reply   
i agree with walt. the canon digital rebel may be to big for your liking along with the lenses. that nikon is also a really good deal. you can never stay up with the newest camera so just invest in what your comfortable with. i would though suggest going to a store and looking at a degital rebel. it may be just what you want. The shutter speed will be much faster in the rebel because its a digital slr. The Nikon you will have to "prefocus" and prepare for the shot. thats the main advantage i see.
Old                07-16-2005, 7:22 AM Reply   
I stand by the Digital Rebel, anyone got the new XT model yet? Is it worth the upgrade?
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-16-2005, 1:54 PM Reply   
the XT is a considerable step up over the regular rebel. if i remember correctly some of the improvements are: more megapixels, new light sensers, faster autofocus, better lens options, etc. if you already have the rebel id keep it, but if youre in the market for a new camera, id buy the XT in a heartbeat. again, check out dpreview because they have some GREAT camera reviews. in them they compare the two cameras so that should answer every question you could possibly have, and then answer some more haha.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-12-2005, 8:46 PM Reply   
has anyone mounted a lcd screen from the illusion x tower?
or on the dash and made it look good?
or hidden as a pop-up feature in the dash
I already have a great camera (canon XL1s) and a 7" monitor...just want to be able to use it in my BU
thanks
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-12-2005, 8:48 PM Reply   
what kind of hands free phone setup does anyone have?
would be nice to hear the phone ring through the speakers...so there would be no need to "have to listen for it"