Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 29, 2010

Old     (wakeriderz)      Join Date: May 2009       12-07-2009, 10:59 PM Reply   
My name is Michael Antone and I am in the process of creating the Lake Chabot Wakeboard Center. Lake Chabot Reservoir located in Castro Valley, CA was built in 1874 as a primary water source for East Bay residents. The 315-acre lake was closed to recreation for 91 years until legislation was passed in the 1960s that allowed for controlled recreational uses such as fishing and non-contact boating activities .

I am interested in developing this center for youth camps for children aged 10-18 to learn the fundamentals of wakeboarding, wakeskating, waterskiing, kneeboarding and boating safety. I will also offer private lessons and group events for all who are interested in learning wakeboarding or just want to get out and ride close to home.

I am looking to start a petition to submit to the East Bay Parks supervisors to show that there is a huge interest in people wanting to enjoy water sports out on Lake Chabot. I am looking to obtain a special use permit for the lake and hope to operate the center May thru October.

I would like people from around the East Bay, especially in Castro Valley to give me some feedback and suggestions about this idea.

You can check us out on our facebook page: Lake Chabot Wakeboard Center.

Lets make this dream a reality for the East Bay!!!
Old     (kellen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-08-2009, 8:45 AM Reply   
Ill sign it and help pass it. And ill work for you as a teacher as well.
Old     (chetmaherwakecom)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-08-2009, 11:52 AM Reply   
I live in castro valley lake chabot is my backyard any thing i do to help id be more than willing and have people who would do the same. please respond to wakeskatemixtape@gmail.com the only thing is no one can even get in the water it is used by ebmud and im pretty shure its for drinking water but its worth a try
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-08-2009, 12:00 PM Reply   
I also live in castro valley. You're trying something that I have always dreamed of. That water has always been untouchable. Were in for a tough battle but I'm with you. Let me know iif you need any help from CIE
Old     (deltagrubber)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-08-2009, 2:05 PM Reply   
Keep us posted and good luck. J-Rod is right, your in for one hell of a battle. The Agencies have never faltered on this issue and in these times of troubled water battles in the State, I see the Lake maintaining its standby emergency water supply capability for a long time, which means a non-contact lake.
Do you have a back up spot in mind?
Old     (chetmaherwakecom)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-08-2009, 2:30 PM Reply   
n.m.
Old     (badluck)      Join Date: Jan 2009       12-08-2009, 5:51 PM Reply   
electric wakeboard boat. Epic? Would be sick.
Old     (wakeriderz)      Join Date: May 2009       12-08-2009, 7:06 PM Reply   
LCWC is looking to obtain a special use permit from the East Bay Regional Park district to operate 1 boat used in a designated controlled speed area on the lake during the months of May thru October.

All water sports participants will be required to wear closed toed bindings and full body wetsuits to prevent any water contamination, just like what is currently allowed for float-tube fishermen who float out in the water for many hours at a time. I feel that if people are allowed to float in the water for multiple hours, there shouldn’t be any issue with people dipping in and out of the water for a couple of minutes at the most.
Old     (deltagrubber)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-09-2009, 11:51 AM Reply   
Chet - New Melones?

Michael - I hope your "feeling" is enough to change their minds, I really do. I believe they really draw the line at "contact".
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-09-2009, 4:50 PM Reply   
EBMUD water supply? You are wasting your time....
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-10-2009, 8:30 AM Reply   
You're going to need dry suits to prevent "water contamination"!!!

Plus, you're going to have to convince them why they should allow just your group, instead of opening it up to the general public under the same conditions.

Public agencies cannot by law, offer special accommodation to one group and not give the same accommodation to all.

If they give your group access and not to the rest, they will be slap with a lawsuit so fast, they wouldn't know what hit them.

But that's not to say you shouldn't give it a shot if you strongly believe in it. Just be prepare to dedicate time and money to make your arguments.

Good luck.
Old     (deltagrubber)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-10-2009, 2:37 PM Reply   
dry suit is not going to prevent water contact. The ONLY reason they allow the tubers in waiters is that they are not expected to dunk their heads under water at any time. Can't say the same for a good yard sale after the newbies first tantrum try.......
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       12-10-2009, 2:41 PM Reply   
kvoman

not exactly true. national forrest gives ski resorts the special permit use. They dont just give it to anyone.

But ya not likely man, you should do it hopefully it takes a few peeps off the delta

if there afraid of water contamination what do you think running a slammed boat will do to the water?
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       12-10-2009, 2:43 PM Reply   
Make it a cable park and you'll be a rich man!
Old     (delta_mud)      Join Date: Mar 2009       12-10-2009, 9:39 PM Reply   
I live in Castro Valley too. That lake is tempting, but in reality, Mission Impossible. Not trying to be a downer I just hate to see you waste your time and effort. All I can think of is the Estuary across from the old airport. It is salt water, but no one would stop you, well maybe. Good luck.
Old     (waajusshappened)      Join Date: Oct 2008       12-11-2009, 12:32 AM Reply   
Intention=noble and respectable
Feasability=unlikely
Goal actualization=never know unless you try right?

We have a super hard time just getting EBMUD to allow us to do water rescue training on their reservoirs...and we're a Fire Dept!

(Message edited by waajusshappened on December 11, 2009)
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-11-2009, 8:07 AM Reply   
Soli - Actually, the special use permit is available to anyone. You or I could obtain a special use permit to open a ski resort if the applicant (individual or corporation) meets all their criteria, and then make it available to the general public.