Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-23-2011, 11:06 AM Reply   
Just got off the phone with a real nice guy, sales guy, in Georgia. They can't sell me a new boat - even though they have one optioned exactly the way I want it.

Why? I'm 400 miles away.

I've looked at all "local" inventory, and its just not what im looking for -- and i'm being told by a few sources that its going to take 10 weeks to 16 weeks before I could even get my boat in hand if I "custom" ordered one. As we all know, that doesn't exactly come out "cheap" either - ie: no discounted dealer special pricing. It just sucks that you find a perfect looking, optioned out whip and then they say "Oh, we cant sell it to you"...

/end rant

PS: Yes, I understand the concept of "dealer service", "cost of showrooms", "market valuation", etc ... Still sucks.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-23-2011, 11:12 AM Reply   
Usually they will do a dealer trade for you. Have you asked your dealer to call over there and work out a trade?
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-23-2011, 11:20 AM Reply   
I asked about that -- said they couldnt do that (malibu / axis doesnt normally do them)
Old     (wakenymph)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-23-2011, 11:24 AM Reply   
I say its a blessing, if the customer service is this bad and they havent even got your money yet, just think how much it will go down hill once they do!!!
Old     (ShawnB)      Join Date: Oct 2010       03-23-2011, 11:33 AM Reply   
Call Malibu directly. Ask for the regional sales manager that covers your region and/or the region where the boat is. Insist that you're prepared to buy their product but they are not making it easy. Mention that you're going to be forced to look at the competition if they can't help you

I can't imagine them just letting you take your 80k to another manufacturer. By the way your sources are probably correct: this is a very busy time for dealers and boat builders. All of the winter boat show purchases are queued up to build before anything which is ordered today.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       03-23-2011, 11:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnB View Post
Call Malibu directly. Ask for the regional sales manager that covers your region and/or the region where the boat is. Insist that you're prepared to buy their product but they are not making it easy. Mention that you're going to be forced to look at the competition if they can't help you

I can't imagine them just letting you take your 80k to another manufacturer. By the way your sources are probably correct: this is a very busy time for dealers and boat builders. All of the winter boat show purchases are queued up to build before anything which is ordered today.
This is what I was going to suggest. Contact Malibu/Axis directly and see what they can do for you.
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-23-2011, 11:45 AM Reply   
If you do work something out with the rep, make sure it is clear that your local dealer will service your boat. (warranty items or otherwise) There has been much talk lately about dealers who will not service a boat that was purchased elsewhere.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-23-2011, 11:46 AM Reply   
couldn't you just drive over there and pay cash?
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-23-2011, 11:48 AM Reply   
You know what else sucks... the dealers advertise these boats nationally: either on their own web sites or on sites like Only Inboards or Boat Trader. I find that odd since they are advertising to a worldwide audience (tons of pics, video walkarounds, etc.) when in reality they can't sell to that worldwide audience.

Makes no sense...
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-23-2011, 12:24 PM Reply   
Go to a local Supra dealer. I am sure they will figure out a way to take your money!!!
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-23-2011, 12:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
You know what else sucks... the dealers advertise these boats nationally: either on their own web sites or on sites like Only Inboards or Boat Trader. I find that odd since they are advertising to a worldwide audience (tons of pics, video walkarounds, etc.) when in reality they can't sell to that worldwide audience.

Makes no sense...

That's the frustrating thing - I saw a few boats on boattrader.com and called them up -- thats when i started getting the "can't sell you this boat" line...
Old     (geterdone)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-23-2011, 1:28 PM Reply   
"I asked about that -- said they couldnt do that (malibu / axis doesnt normally do them)"

Really. Your dealer should try harder. Diggs is correct Supra/Mooba have a great dealer network along with Nautique. I know these are not the boats you are looking at but that does say something about a company. Good luck.
Old     (jtech)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-23-2011, 1:39 PM Reply   
Does that same rule apply to left over 2010's? I have seen some 2010's from other dealers that I like but I have been told that they can't sell those because they are still "new".
Old     (nelems)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-23-2011, 2:01 PM Reply   
It is the mfg's not the dealers. The dealers have contracts with protected terrirtories that we sign each year. As far as advertising online, we use boattrader for all of our boats, it is easier for customers in our area or open territories to shop online. As far as non currents go, each mfg. has their own rules about them, but you still have to think about warranty and service. Don't blame the dealer, I'm sure they would love to sell you a boat. Of course there is always a dealer each year that doesn't play well with others.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       03-23-2011, 2:01 PM Reply   
If that's their attitude then I wouldn't hesitate to take my money elsewhere. If you really want that boat and don't want to wait for it to be built drive the 400 miles and buy it outright as Paul mentioned. Don't expect great service from your local dealer after this, but we've already established that the dealers in question are no good for customer service anyway. If you do your own maintenance this isn't even a consideration as you won't be using dealers for much, if anything at all.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-23-2011, 2:53 PM Reply   
I think you guys are under the impression that the dealer 400 miles away doesn't want to sell the boat to him. I'm sure he would be happy as a pig in Schitt to but is bound by his dealer agreament. You're are also assuming the local dealer won't do the trade for him when maybe the dealer that is 400 miles away is the one who won't make the trade or else is wanting to much money for it. Just get the local rep involved? Its not as if he can force anyones hand here. If dealer A wants to hang onto his inventory thats his perogative.
Old     (geterdone)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-23-2011, 2:55 PM Reply   
It is totally the dealers. If you think about it dealer networking is a great tool. Alot of dealers are not stocking as many boats as they did in previous years. Therefore at dealer meetings Manufacures ie reps push for dealer trading. If I have a all white 210 Nautique and I have a customer that wants a blue and red one you call your rep and see if he knows of any. The dealer would either trade for the same model different model or just to get rid of the boat. Some manufactures push this harder than others. For instance Nautique emails a list of new noncurrent boats about once every two weeks to all the dealers. But in the end it comes down to the dealer selling the boat to another dealer. Maybe the guy in Georgia has some leads on the boat and does not want to sell it. Good luck sorry about the rant.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-23-2011, 3:01 PM Reply   
Also, consider if the dealer who has the boat you want (dealer A) sells it or trades it to the other dealer - then Dealer A who designed it now has to wait for another boat that they add to their inventory and can actually profit from. Or, if they trade it they might be stuck with a boat that is optioned out or designed in a way they haven't had luck with in the past. I'd think if anything, it's up to the Manufacturer to try to hammer out a deal that works for everyone. It's a crappy situation, if they don't have the territory rules then you have dealers who abuse it and undercut anyone to get a boat out the door, but with it you get situations like this. I'd guess the rule is in place to protect the dealers who invest a lot to push their brand in their local area. With so limited inboard dealers, I really don't see any other way.
Old     (geterdone)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-23-2011, 3:11 PM Reply   
All about the dealers. Of course if the dealer that is wanting a boat does not have a slot for production he is willing to give up or a boat the dealer wants it might not work. That is just the way it goes. It is not the Manfatures fault they are 6 or 8 weeks out with production. You should give Ryan Warner a call at Wake Effects in Lake of the Ozarks, MO. I bet he can hook you up with a boat.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-23-2011, 3:19 PM Reply   
Its both the manufaturer and the dealer but again its their perogotive to let inventory go or not. Lets say dealer B is wanting to trade so he calls dealer A with the boat and inquires as to what it will take. Dealer A asks for the world, all of hold back, cover flooring plus he has to transport it, well all of thse sudden the price makes no sense, hell it could be higher than the advertised sale price the customer is expecting to pay. Who's the dick? Neither!
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-23-2011, 4:04 PM Reply   
With the economy the way it is,you would think that if someone with serious intentions called looking to purchase a $70,000.00 boat the dealer would do everything possible to make the sale happen.Same goes for the manufacturer.These things can't be flying out the door regularly.
Old     (OldDad)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-23-2011, 5:41 PM Reply   
I had forgotten about the protected territory thing. I called a dealer in OH because he had a nice looking boat. Not only could he not sell it to me, he called my local dealer and gave him my info. WIthin an hour, he was on the phone saying he could order or get the same boat. It was kind of creepy
Old     (07launch22ssv)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-23-2011, 6:07 PM Reply   
The real answer to this is that it is both the manufacturer and the dealer. I sell Skiers Choice product (Supra & Moomba).

As part of your dealer agreement you have a specific territory if you sell out of your territory you have to pay "damages" to the dealer whos territory you sold into. This can be anything from lost profit from the actual sale to possible future service and storage revenues. I think it is very noble of the dealer to tell you that he cannot sell you the boat. I work at a dealer in SE Michigan and we have much higher operating costs that some dealers who are in the sticks in northern Michigan so they can sell their boats at a much lower margin and if we didnt have protected territories we would probably have customers drive a couple hours to save the money.

It could also be the dealer b/c unlike the automotive market not every dealer pays the same price for every boat and it may not make sense for dealers to trade inventory. There are way more variables than in the auto market as well, floor plan costs, possible aftermarket options installed (stereo), etc.

If I were you I would call the manufacturer and talk to someone in sales and see if they help you work something out.
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-23-2011, 9:55 PM Reply   
Guys,

I appreciate the information - I was just really ill about the whole thing this afternoon. I cant imagine having a product that costs 40k to 100k dollars, then paying to market it, and then being unable to accept 'leads' for it.... Just blows my mind. It was very honest of the dealer to tell me he couldnt do it - like I said, super nice guy (and honest), but as someone that lives / dies by selling things, blew my mind! haha....
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-24-2011, 1:26 PM Reply   
So you know he was no less pissed that he was bound by his dealer agreement to not sell it.
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       03-24-2011, 3:51 PM Reply   
So...
You have a very bad experience with a local dealer. What happens if you refuse to buy your boat from that local dealer that sells the brand of boat you want? Are you SOL? I cant believe that there is not some kind of work around to get the boat you want from another dealer 400 miles away.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-24-2011, 5:44 PM Reply   
MB would love to have your business. If you are interested hit me up and I'll be happy to hook you into the right person or Mr. Brendel himself.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-25-2011, 1:50 AM Reply   
Clayton, out of curiosity, pm me where you are and what you're looking at.
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-25-2011, 3:27 AM Reply   
Depending on which State you are in you might consider speaking to an Attorney or your Attorney General. Often, businesses get away with certain business practices until they are challenged by either Private or State Legal arguments. Restraint of trade, monopolies, price fixing ect.. come to mind. Might be nothing you can do, but on the other hand you may just make new case law. Might not even cost you much if anything. You should not be required to purchase only from one dealer as that dealer could fix the price and not have to worry about competition.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-25-2011, 5:09 AM Reply   
I would just try to work with the dealers and the regional rep as stated above.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-25-2011, 5:36 AM Reply   
I'd go down, buy the boat, and register it in that state. Then, either live with the out of state registration for a while, or transfer the registration back to your home state. I can't believe that if, for example, I have a family member who has a house on the water down south, I'd have to buy my boat in my home state in order to use it at the family member's house.
Old    mojo            03-25-2011, 7:14 AM Reply   
When i went new 210 shopping in 07 I called secc. Since I was in winter haven they recommended a dealer down the road. After checking them out and seeing they also sold Suzuki cars I said no way. Ended up buying used from secc. Also, my friend got his from Orlando nautiques though he's in bama. I hate the territory crap. My dad bought an Aston and a few hours later was told, " oh sorry, you're too far away to buy this." needless to say he never got it.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-26-2011, 4:54 AM Reply   
That's funny, a dealer sold me a boat when they were farther away from a more local dealer.....
Old     (d_rock)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-26-2011, 8:48 AM Reply   
Couldnt you just get a PO box, or one of those mail boxes etc or ups store boxes that look like a street address next to the dealer for a few months? that would make me furious if I was spending that kind of jack and couldnt get what I wanted, when I wanted it (or close to it!)