Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-06-2006, 5:14 PM Reply   
we'll be putting my friend's cal-air pro-v in the water in 2 weeks and it got me thinkin'. if we were to add sacks, where would we want to add them? obviously in the rear compartments, but what should the distribution be? between us all we have 3-540#, 1-700#(flyhigh seat sack) and 2-200# tube sacks.

i read the calabrias like to sacked out pretty evenly so i was thinking 540#s in the rear, the 700 in the middle of the floor, a 540# in the walkway and the 200#s in the bow. with the std ballast that's about 3400#.

hmmmmmmmm......that might be a bit overkill, for me at least. possibly just the seat sack on the floor?

recommendations?
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-06-2006, 7:25 PM Reply   
if he is running the stock 13 x 17.5 prop, you are gonna have a hard time getting it on plane...especially with a rider in tow.

i currently run a 580 in the walkway, and a 300 in each locker. i used to run a 580 in the walk way with another 580 in front of the back seat...when we would run like that plus 6 or so riders, the boat was a complete pig. i have since swapped to 13.5 x 16 prop and have no problem. i can run with the 580 in the front, the 300's in the lockers, 750 internal ballast, 65 gallons of fuel, 6 people and the boat does a lot better...oh, and i also have the 6.2L black scorpion engine.

you are correct in thinking that the pro-v does not like ballast distributed to the rear, if you go forward on weight, swamping the boat will be very easy. bottom line is balance it! if you can get your boat on plane with that much weight, the wake should be awesome...
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-07-2006, 5:18 PM Reply   
unfortunately the boat only has the weenie 315hp in it. it has been propped waaaaay down so top speed is like 36 mph, so all those sacks would be a waste of time.

you think just the 700 on the floor would be a good idea? well, i guess i could just try it eh?
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-09-2006, 7:25 PM Reply   
what prop do you have on the boat now? if it is propped down where the top speed has dropped, then you have a power prop on the boat...it should easily move all of the weight you put in it...