Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 08, 2007

Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-05-2007, 8:11 AM Reply   
For all you people who have purchased Ronix boots from an online dealer: How did you get your boots heat molded? We have a shop that does it locally, but they didn't have the boots I needed, or any in the size I wanted, so I picked some off Buywake because I needed them fast. Ideas?
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       07-05-2007, 8:13 AM Reply   
hair dryer maybe.
Old     (joos)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-05-2007, 8:16 AM Reply   
go to a snowboard shop
Old     (ezekiel700)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-05-2007, 8:19 AM Reply   
Go back to the shop, they should have a heater? They may charge you to mold, but at least they are molded.
Old     (ethan31)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-05-2007, 8:49 AM Reply   
Go to a hockey store.

they would probly let you use there skate bake oven.
Old     (intotheflats)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-05-2007, 12:54 PM Reply   
a hair dryer will get them hot enough, it takes a little bit longer to get them to the right temp but it works
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-05-2007, 1:09 PM Reply   
filled the bathtub up with the hottest water, soaked them for 30 minutes, and then put them on and walked around like a storm trooper for about 45 minutes.

(Message edited by hawaiianstiln on July 05, 2007)
Old     (praisinplaya)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-05-2007, 5:10 PM Reply   
The bathtub method and hair dryer method does not get the Intuition Liners hot enough to mold correctly. The best method, by far, is to have a shop with the Cooker mold them for ya. If your shop does not have a Cooker, you can actually do it yourself at home in your oven. This info came from an Intuition employee and worked PERFECT for me, but I give no guarantees or anything so do it at your own risk.

Step 1: Get a large cookie sheet and spray with Pam or some other no stick spray.

Step 2: Preheat your oven to 250 degrees F and place your boots upright (like they would be on your board) on the cookie sheet sprayed with non stick spray.

Step 3: When the oven is heated to 250 degrees F, place the cookie sheet into the oven with the bindings on it and leave them for 7 minutes.

Step 4: When you remove the bindings after 7 minutes the liners will feel like marshmallows! NOTE: BE VERY CAREFUL, ANY METAL PARTS OF THE BINDINGS WILL BE EXTREMELY HOT!! The liners will also be hot, but not hot enough to burn your skin. Place your feet into the bindings and cinch them up as tight as you would like. Leave the bindings on for 15-20 minutes or until cool.

There ya go! Hope it works for you as good as it did for me!

-Matt
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-05-2007, 8:36 PM Reply   

quote:

This info came from an Intuition employee and worked PERFECT for me, but I give no guarantees or anything so do it at your own risk.

this is some info from Paul Obrien: heating the boots in an oven is a BAD idea.

Not sure on the reasoning behind this, but he didn't seem too stoked when I told him that people were doing this.

(Message edited by scott_a on July 05, 2007)
Old     (wondermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-05-2007, 9:41 PM Reply   
you may not care but the hair dryer and oven method can void your warranty. Not to sure how they would tell but you never know. I think that oven method is not really the best. The cooker at the shop only heats the liners not the whole boot. I say do that at your own risk.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-05-2007, 11:19 PM Reply   
Oven? Geesh

I agree with Scott and Mike.

The bath tub method came from the Northern US Ronix rep in which he works directly under Paul. These guys are awesome and really know their stuff. :-) Not sure I would ever use a hair dryer or especially an oven.

I hope you pre-heated the oven?? Just kidding. :-) :-)
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-06-2007, 12:22 AM Reply   
dude, do you normally support your local shop? just because you didnt buy one set of bindings from them shouldnt bum them out. go to your local shop bring your boots and ask them to mold them for you, and while your stomping around the shop with the cute little nilon socks on inside your bindings they know your gonna come up on a new vid or hat or something. if your local shop wont take care of you than whats the point.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-06-2007, 5:23 AM Reply   
most good snowboard shops also have the heaters aswell.
Old     (praisinplaya)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-06-2007, 9:01 AM Reply   
I agree with ya'll, I thought the oven was a bad idea from the first time I heard it....until I tried it and it worked perfectly. I just made sure I was super careful and had an eye on them the whole time...checking them about every minute. I kinda wonder though why Paul would say it was a bad idea? Maybe he wants to sell more shops the Cooker? or maybe he just does not want to warranty stupid people's melted bindings when they leave them in the oven too long? lol I don't know...just thinking. Anyways...again I would say if you are not 100% comfortable with the oven method, you should definitely not do it.

Again the BEST METHOD is to let a shop mold them for you!!

-Matt
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-06-2007, 9:27 AM Reply   
It might be because you're heating the ENTIRE BOOT up instead of only the liner. The boot probably wasn't made to withstand that much heat for any extended period of time.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-06-2007, 9:30 AM Reply   
I'm with Bryan on this one. Since when do you go to your local pro shop and come out empty handed. Buy some merchandise and heat your boots. They should be cool with you....they did not have your size and you don't wanna wait to ride.
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-06-2007, 11:34 AM Reply   
I have another question. If I heat mold my ronix ones in a cooker again, then bake them in an oven, will it get rid of the nasty smell of mildew and funk that has occured? I wear my work boots every day for 10 hours and those are fine. It's the wakeboard bindings I wear for 15 minutes, three times a week, that my girlfriend makes me keep outside. No more closed toe for me.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-06-2007, 12:29 PM Reply   
hmmmm, weird. Mine do not smell and sometimes I ride them that much. But then again, it's 117 degrees right now in Mesa and they probably dry out QUICK.

Do you always keep them in the garage or boat after using? I would almost say that mine are probably completely dried out before I even get home.

Hopefully someone doesn't tell us that the "ones" can be washed in the washing machine too, to get rid of the smell.
Old     (ezekiel700)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-06-2007, 12:46 PM Reply   
Go back to your local shop. Most dealers should have bought a heater if they sell Ronix gear. Not to smart to use much of anything but that. I could see a hair dryer working, but may take a while.
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-06-2007, 12:50 PM Reply   
My boots have a funk smell to them as well. It is more humid here in San Antonio than AZ so it takes them a lot longer to dry.
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-06-2007, 1:28 PM Reply   
I don't think mine ever fully dry in washington. They were kept inside before the smell became to much. I was told that I should get a boot dryer. If I need a boot dryer for my wakeboard bindings, it seems to me that Ronix should ship them out with the bindings. If they weren't my favorite bindings so far, I would swich to something else with a little more ventalation.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-06-2007, 2:05 PM Reply   
Have you looked into picking up a snowboard-oriented product to either dry them or de-odorize them?