Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-12-2006, 10:42 PM Reply   
If you live in the area, give me a shout!
Old    awsnow            08-13-2006, 3:24 AM Reply   
I'm about 2hrs south of Charlotte. Whats up?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-13-2006, 3:27 AM Reply   
can you drive a boat?
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-13-2006, 5:20 AM Reply   
I live about an hour north of Charlotte and own a boat. You need a pull?
Old     (waketwowake)      Join Date: May 2006       08-13-2006, 6:09 AM Reply   
I'm in Charlotte, and I can drive a boat!
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-13-2006, 6:29 AM Reply   
Austin Hair and SouthTown Riders are here. We have camps on both Lake Norman and Lake Wylie with several boats at our disposal as well as some well hidden sliders. email me and I will send you phone numbers.
Old     (cam892001)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-13-2006, 8:51 AM Reply   
yup I'm here to, ride @ Wylie. Heading there right now..black 05 210SANTE
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-13-2006, 9:27 AM Reply   
Norman
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-13-2006, 10:55 AM Reply   
Sweet! I'm not familiar with the area, but we're looking for peeps located close to the Douglas Airport (Lake Wylie).

David - email sent!

(Message edited by DCERVENKA on August 13, 2006)
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-13-2006, 12:26 PM Reply   
Kung Fu, Joe

Since you guys are traveling across the the states via plane, what bag do you guys have for your board and gear?
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-14-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
I live about 30 mins South of Charlotte and ride Wylie and Wateree. Wateree is not as busy so, we get nice glass on the big water there morning and evenings when the wind is not up. I love going to Wylie, but the only decent place is a cove called Catawba Creek....and if you get lucky...only half the wake boats and no tubers will be in there. My Mother-in-law has a houseboat on Wylie, so we spend a lot of time there too...to me the riding is just better at Wateree. My Tige 21V should be out of the shop this week....I HOPE!
Old     (fumanchoo)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-14-2006, 10:53 AM Reply   
Cant believe you are not coming to Raleigh!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-14-2006, 11:05 AM Reply   
charlotte humidity isn't fun. but, on the other hand, there's no wind so the lake is buttaaaaaaaahhhh!!!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-14-2006, 11:09 AM Reply   
jim, i wish we could head out to raleigh to ride but unfortunately, we're here for work.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-14-2006, 11:37 AM Reply   
I'm in Charlotte as well, usually on Mtn Island and occationally LKW.

I met up with Justin McClure for a lesson not too long ago, you outta get up with him if you're gonna be featuring locals. Seemed like a great guy. He can be found at charlottewaterskicenter.com
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-14-2006, 12:10 PM Reply   
Joe...you guys coming to get more footage for the Chick Flick??? Major??

You'll have to keep your eye on the weather while you're here.....as hot and humid as it's been, thunder storms kinda breed out of nowhere in the afternoons. Once the sky starts boiling, and these things start firing up, a slick cove can get ugly quick. The temps are down this week here, and no big fronts are moving, so it should be good. Hopefully you guys can catch some nice days.
E mail me if you need anything....I am a native Redneck! I can set you up for some ATV farm pond boarding action too!!!
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-14-2006, 2:15 PM Reply   
yup, you got it FoxrepDC! Major and Lohrmann.. though it would have been nice if the airlines didn't loose Laura's board bag...

HUGE PROPS to David Hair who replied to my email and was out there to with his boat to drive chase for Joe and Scott! Thanks David!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-14-2006, 2:17 PM Reply   
well, it may be a day late, but laura's board bag is here! we're off, back to maeghan's house!
Old     (cam892001)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-14-2006, 2:53 PM Reply   
She if she'll let you take her sweet slant nose Porsche Turbo for a spin...are you going to be on Wylie shooting pics?
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-14-2006, 4:02 PM Reply   
Cool deal guys....enjoy your stay. You ended up with a perfect week for shooting here.....you'd have died of heat stroke last week!

Tell Mike and Maeghan Hi for me!

Enjoy the sweet tea, and hospitality, and let me know if you need anything while you're here!

DC
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-15-2006, 8:10 AM Reply   
Slant Nose has been sold ('97 Twin Turbo replaced it), they are filming her and the Testarossa tonight.

BTW, Joe talks a good game when it comes to Sushi...California Roll...come on!
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-15-2006, 8:59 AM Reply   
Cali rolls??? That's what Southern boys eat Joe! I thought you west coast guys went big!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-15-2006, 9:11 AM Reply   
there were no cali rolls ordered last night! speakin' of which, mike was ready to hurl...couldn't hang w/ umali's appetite!
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-15-2006, 9:49 AM Reply   
Wow! I've seen Mike at work at a Japanese steak house....can't believe he couldn't hang with the little guy.
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-15-2006, 11:31 AM Reply   
what's up guys - I made a similar post to this earlier. I just moved to Charlotte too, living on the southeast side about 5 minutes from Matthews. I've been really itching to ride and make some friends (don't know anybody up here). Anyway, I'd be glad to show up with gas $ and your beer of choice and help with whatever if you've got room for a third!

thanks,

David
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-15-2006, 11:48 AM Reply   
Joe...man up to it...cali rolls, ginger salads and rice...you were hard core!

My steak house skilz are second only to my minature golf ability!
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-15-2006, 11:50 AM Reply   
David F, come by the shop or hit up David Hair (see above) we'll get you on the water.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-15-2006, 12:02 PM Reply   
So....whats the rotation on a ginger salad?

mike, I gotta know....who's rollin with the twin black MCs down on LKW? 197 (IIRC) and x-star. I think I added about a foot back to the lake I was drooling so much over that setup.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-15-2006, 12:15 PM Reply   
Focker....check your e mail!
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-15-2006, 12:25 PM Reply   
Mike....I am starting to do some Sports Agency work...freelance, and I've already sent your info in to the PPPTA (Pro Putt Putt Tour Association). Hopefully I can get some backing, and get you on tour soon, and you can finally get out of that motor boat shop and make some real money!
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-16-2006, 6:15 AM Reply   
Ryan, start off backside and tick-tock out...jeez!
That would be Maeghan's X-Star and my PS197 (sold now but the new one is on the way)...glad you like em.

Fox, Let me know...selling motor boats is cool and all but pro putt putt...that is for me!
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-16-2006, 6:22 AM Reply   
BTW, big thanks to Joe and crew for the last couple of days...you guys are doing a great job and you're welcome back anytime, can't wait to see the finished product.

Oh, these guys are cheap to feed too...that Joe guy can't eat any sushi! (see Joe I told you I wouldn't mention that you drink small beers like a girl)

(Message edited by ktm250 on August 16, 2006)
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-16-2006, 12:08 PM Reply   
Small beers??? We have those here?? So Umali ordered Cali rolls, and drank pony size Zima's???? That's shocking.....shocking.
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-16-2006, 12:39 PM Reply   
He started off asking to "share" a beer...but that is a story for another time.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-16-2006, 1:10 PM Reply   
I cannot wait to hear this......

I don't even know how I started reading this thread, but GREAT entertainment.
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-16-2006, 2:16 PM Reply   
Well he is enroute to FL so he cannot try and twist the truth...king of lies sitting on his thrown of lies. I digress it wasn't really beer or Zima worse it was Smirnoff Ice.

Easy Joe...easy.

BTW, EVERYONE buy the video it will be way cool!
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-16-2006, 2:20 PM Reply   
I'm going to buy one for sure...and I'm not even into.....hot .....chicks, wakeboarding!?!?! OK, well maybe I am a little!
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-16-2006, 2:42 PM Reply   
Mike....the plot is pretty thick now!!! Can't wait to see my man Joe respond to this deal!

Just don't tell me Maeghan drank him under the table!!
Did you guys hit Nakatos?
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-17-2006, 6:06 AM Reply   
Where is Joe? We put him on an airplane to FL...maybe the airlines lost him? It is possible they lost everything else...Laura's board bag, Maeghan's travel bag etc...

Could they have lost Joe?
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-17-2006, 8:35 AM Reply   
chase boat driving makes or breaks a video shoot. no wonder they pay so much money to the chase boat driver.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-17-2006, 8:44 AM Reply   
They didn't lose Joe....

I have to assume that he is coming up with some "Someone must have slipped me a mickey and that is the only explanation I can come up for that Smirnoff Ice and California Rolls."

"I was ready for some big Sapporos and sushi and next thing I know....things get sort of fuzzy....and I start feeling very odd."

"I do remember asking if they had any drinks that came with an umbrella.....and that is about it...."
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-17-2006, 9:29 AM Reply   
Yeah, they cut all of us big checks for all the hard work...even covered the gas in Maeghan's Testarossa! Pretty stand up guys...you just have to wonder about the ability to consume REAL sushi and wash it down with real drinks.

I knew we ran the boys hard but jeez I figured they would surface by now?
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-17-2006, 10:36 AM Reply   
Umali offers you his protection.
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-18-2006, 2:49 PM Reply   
Joe? Joe? Where is Joe?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-18-2006, 6:46 PM Reply   
here i am! i've been in orlando and had a hell of a trip back home. shawn watson and i ended up driving from san francisco to sacramento because our flight was cancelled.

anyway, i'm off to l.a. for a couple days, then home on sunday. i'll be able to respond to zedz's bs....errr, posts, then.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       08-19-2006, 3:04 PM Reply   
Well since the discussion has been stomped on several different times I don't feel bad highjacking it again. I am moving from Dallas to Charlotte next year and want to start BSing with some people for some pulls. Is there another specific local site for Charlotte similar to Dallaswakeboarding.com ? Also looking for a place on Wylie any info would be helpful.
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-19-2006, 6:12 PM Reply   
gene I just got up here myself... The few people I have talked to have been really cool and helpful thus far. Endofropegang.com is all of NC but few folks from charlotte. http://www.southtownriders.com/ Is the charlotte area but they dont have a message board...
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-21-2006, 10:02 AM Reply   
David is right no specific site, but you can call or come by the shop anytime.

Zed's BS...Hey, I'm not the one drinking small beers and flying into San Francisco!

BTW, Buy the video!
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-21-2006, 2:32 PM Reply   
hey Zed, I sent you an email a couple of days ago... Is the shop youre talking about Trinity boardshop?
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-21-2006, 10:04 PM Reply   
Hair - It was great seeing you at OWC the other day! Thanks again for all your help with Chase boat!

Zedz Dead - Thank you for having the guys out! Sounds like everything went well (minus Laura's missing bag.) We hope to get Maeghan out to Cali for some riding soon!
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-22-2006, 1:08 AM Reply   
I'm leaving on Monday the 28th to work at Coble Ski School for 6 weeks, in Lillington, NC. I will be off on Fri-Sun of every week and would love to meet up with anyone if they seek a Canadian to ride with. Feel free to shoot me an email :-)

(http://www.cobleskischool.com/)
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-22-2006, 6:10 AM Reply   
Focker...no email, but yes.

Kung Fu...anytime! Maeghan is looking forward to some Delta time.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-22-2006, 11:37 AM Reply   
david, awesome chase boat driving!

zedz, i just want to say thanks again for havin' us. i'm looking forward to having you both out here! should we say next weekend? i promise not to order any california rolls or small beers!
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-22-2006, 12:21 PM Reply   
cool - yeah I stopped by the shop a few weeks ago and checked it out. I talked to Maeghan for a minute about any local comps/events or what not. What is she doing now anyway? Get burnt out on the tour?

Just to comment on the sushi stuff... The girlfriend talked me into checking it out last night. Definitely a different taste - think I had the spicy tuna, spicy seafood and california rolls. I did learn one thing... You better bring your wallet, especially if you plan on drinking. Last night was a quick 50 bucks for two of us...
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-22-2006, 12:23 PM Reply   
Yeah Zedz...go out there and show them what's up! You should invite them back down next May and send them out to Lowe's to drink with that crowd!
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-22-2006, 1:31 PM Reply   
So many quesitons, lets see where to begin...
Maeghan is still riding comps and has committed to the entire World Tour (Singapore is the last stop). She has to balance being gone with her school schedule, since she only has this year left before law school she cant risk loosing grades due to comps.

Joe, we'll be there! Give us a call and we'll get it figured out.

Fox, we sent the boys out to Lowes while they were here...keep your fingers crossed that some footage makes the final cut.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-22-2006, 3:49 PM Reply   
Cool deal....now if we can get them back out here next month for our next pig pickin'....and they can keep up with the keg stands and shine jars, we can almost call them Southerners!!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-22-2006, 3:56 PM Reply   
i'm sorry....pig pickin'????
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-23-2006, 6:19 AM Reply   
A pig pickin' is an annual or semi-annual event that is common among Southerners. In years past, farming families would often have a large BBQ to celebrate the change of growing seasons (planting and harvesting), and to thank their help. My Great Grandfather and Grandfather always had one after the cotton was in, and invited all the farm hands, and local community. It involves a full sized hog or pig, whichever you want to call it, pit cooker, or large portable wood cooker, and a fire barrel that you shovel hot coals out of the bottom and into the cooker. Some people use large gas cookers, but you don't get as good of a taste as you do with wood. Most of the time, the beast is cooked all night prior to the event, and these days, the entire weekend is pretty much all about heavy alcohol consumption.

Where the "pickin" term came from....I'm not 100%sure. I have always been told that it comes from the fact that when the pig is done, you pick the meat off the bones, also known as pulling....hence the "pulled pork" BBQ as it's often called.

Anyway....pretty big party! Ours will have a live band, kegs, porta jons, and about 150-200 drunk people, including my ex-wife and my preacher! That kind of party!

Joe....Sept 23. All wakeboarders are invited! It's not a party unless everyone is invited! Warning!...there will be a Redneck or twelve in attendance!
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-23-2006, 6:40 AM Reply   
Come on Joe...you wanted to experience the South and September 23rd sounds like your chance! Maybe we can get chase boat Donny to join in?
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-23-2006, 6:53 AM Reply   
Zedz...you guys should come. I would be willing to bet that this would be the first pig pickin' in the Carolinas that had an X Games champion introduced to the crowd by the band!
Your whole shop is invited by the way! You'll get an invite and directions in the mail or e mailed in the next few weeks.
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-23-2006, 7:17 AM Reply   
Hmm. I have been here about ten yers and never been to a pig pickin. I have been to a few seafood boils (I think they are called that) where they throw all the food into one big pot and boil it. Shrimp, potatoes, corn, crab, etc. Sounds interesting. I bet Joe and Dave(s) have nothing like that in NOCAL.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-23-2006, 8:11 AM Reply   
Mr. Hair....you are in for a treat! I'll make sure you get some info on it.
The seafood deal you're talking about is known around here as "Low Country Stew"....made popular around the Charleston area. Another feast that's popular here is a "Chicken Bog", which is different varietes of chicken and rice cooked in huge pots. A lot of local churches, and volunteer fire departments have those to raise funds. Usually good stuff!
Old     (melanie_g)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-23-2006, 8:52 AM Reply   
David, we call those low country boils. Dad's side of the family is from South Carolina and those are the big thing there! Never heard of a pig pickin though.
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-23-2006, 12:20 PM Reply   
Send the invite and we'll check the schedule...looks good now.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-23-2006, 12:46 PM Reply   
david, no, we have nothing like that in norcal. we do have gang fights tho and ridiculously priced properties.
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-24-2006, 5:44 AM Reply   
So joe, how about another trailer/teaser?
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-24-2006, 10:19 AM Reply   
Worlds are the same weekend in TX
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-25-2006, 8:43 AM Reply   
Daivd trust me...pig pickin events are more fun and a better spectator sport than ANY wake comp...especially one run by World Sports! Come to the party!
Old     (malibu_monkey)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-25-2006, 8:51 AM Reply   
ummm, this is making me hungry!!