Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (beef)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-05-2008, 3:00 PM Reply   
We have a small ding on the prop from the trailer being too deep when loading back up. The ding is probably an inch long, and 1/8" dinged (off the original prop line). Will I damage anything if I drive with it this way?? I heard you can burn a prop up, due to the ding creating an air pocket. Is this true? I don't even know how you can burn a prop, but figured I would ask.

I plan on having it machined, but we have a trip coming up, and if I take it in now I'm not sure if we'll get it back in time.

Thanks
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-05-2008, 3:12 PM Reply   
dont run it. buy a new prop and send that one off for repair. then you will have a back up.
Old    K.B.C.            05-05-2008, 3:14 PM Reply   
does it vibrate while running?
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-05-2008, 5:36 PM Reply   
I did something similar earlier this year. Once I took the prop off, I realized I had a couple other smaller dings in it. After reading a bunch of other posts on this topic and talking to a couple friends, I decided it wasn't worth running the prop and messing up the drive shaft.

I am not sure where you are in so cal but if you are near Bronson Propellers in santa ana, they will repair it in a few days and your prop will be as good as it was when you first bought it. They have been around for a long time and do good work.
http://www.boatpropellers.com
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-05-2008, 5:59 PM Reply   
When we had $12,000 boats and $300 props we used to straighten them with a mallett and run them. Now that I have a $50k boat and a $350 prop I tend to replace it. A prop is really no more costly than a car tire. Get a new prop, have the old one fixed and carry it as a spare.

All that said, in 20+ years of boating I have yet to see any drivetrain damage caused from a prop with monor damage. 3 out of 4 blades missing, that is a different story.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-05-2008, 7:38 PM Reply   
i would have to see it but if its small you will be fine i would have it trued up when you can but i would not let it stop me from going out if it is small. dings are nothing but if it takes one or more of the blades out of plain then you will have a problem.
Old     (beef)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-07-2008, 8:06 AM Reply   
Thanks guys, maybe I'll try to run it to the Santa Ana. My dealer takes a while, and charges about $180.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-07-2008, 8:45 AM Reply   
FYI its from your trailer not being deep enough. Build up your bunks and you won't have to worry.