Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-21-2010, 12:11 PM Reply   
But this weekend we got 4 kneeboards out behind the boat and had a battle. I got to screwing around and nearly landed some kind of roll. Now I am on a hunt for a kneeboard. I am sure this will lead to me being called a *** over and over but that's cool with me. I bet there is at least one person on here though that has some decent input. If not, I will just look like a fool.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-21-2010, 12:25 PM Reply   
matt i used to love to kneeboard. i could do a backroll and a backside 360 as well as 180's both ways hit wake forward and backward and do 180. you would just charge wake and do quick 180 hit wake backwards and rotate to forward for landing. but now i'm 51 and my back can't take it and my feet cramp up. but i took one out a couple of weeks ago and cleared the wake on a 75' rope at 21 mph. trust me it's a long way across.but the thin kneeboards that look similar to wakeboards are the bomb they edge well are very light and they fly high . h2o was the brand i bought and i loved it.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-21-2010, 12:26 PM Reply   
More power to you!

I've never understood why people get their panties in a wad when a wake boat pulls something other than a wakeboard, skate, or wake surfer? IMO, if I'm making the boat payment I'll pull whatever the heck I want to behind my boat!

With that said, we bought a two person tube to take on a family camping trip this summer. We had a "king of the mountain" contest between two riders at a time to see who could push the other off the tube while the driver pulled figure 8's. It was the most fun I've had behind my boat in years!
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-21-2010, 1:08 PM Reply   
too many times me and my buddies get caught up in riding hard. We wake up in the morning sore as hell and do it again. Don't get me wrong, progression is incredible and hard to beat. Sometimes we just goof off though and it is a blast. We also took a sheet of plywood and cut a 4' circle. Get on that and see how it tracks!
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-21-2010, 1:27 PM Reply   
Amen nauty...

If you can't admit that whipping around on a tube is fun, you're an idiot...
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-21-2010, 1:54 PM Reply   
i must say that i get upset when tubers mess all the water up on the lake but it is a pretty damn good time.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-21-2010, 2:04 PM Reply   
It goes without saying that tubing around skiers and wakeboarders is a no no.

In fact, I'm surprised that these idiots would want to tube near other boats? If I'm going to be slinging my kids off of a tube I want them as far away as possible from anyone who could potentially run them over after they fall off the tube. Why people decide that it's a good idea to pull tubers in the midst of other boats is beyond me? When it's time to bust out the tube we head for the middle of the lake away form everyone!
Old     (rc005)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-21-2010, 3:43 PM Reply   
matt check out the hydroslide kaos.. its just as robert described
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-21-2010, 5:34 PM Reply   
I put a bunch of hours behind the boat on an HO Joker back in the early 90's....knee boards are a kick in the ass, and easy to learn basic tricks on. My 46 y/o knees won't allow it any more, though.
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       09-21-2010, 5:52 PM Reply   
Every year we try to get three guys up on kneeboards and then go to a pyramid. Haven't succeeded yet but we keep trying.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-22-2010, 4:22 AM Reply   
richard,
i always have to wonder if parents really like their kids when i see them tubing on 4th of july weekend at the lake. does anyone have any common sense any more?
thanks for the help guys. i will look into these models.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-22-2010, 11:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgettel View Post
i always have to wonder if parents really like their kids when i see them tubing on 4th of july weekend at the lake. does anyone have any common sense any more?
Nothing safer than whipping your kids around the lake on the busiest day of the year! Especially when you do unpredictable s-turns and drive the wrong way around the lake. Darwinism at its best I never got why kneeboarding is hated on. It's fun to mess around on kneeboards once in a while. Nice change from wakeboardin for an hour or two. Its always a good laugh to see a cut out, surface 720, and a wake jump resulting in an accidental nose dive/submarine (my buddys signature move). Trick skis are a blast too. Like nauty said, its my boat and I'm gonna do what I want behind it! I'd definitely agree with the others, go with one of the thinner boards, their edging makes them a fun time
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-26-2010, 8:50 AM Reply   
We break out the low rider every time out. I dont see a problem with them at all. I grew up on the kneeboard before wakeboards were even invented. Much easier for kids to learn better than tubes for sure. I ride the Kaos as well and it rocks. It pops off the wake great and it lands softer than any other kneeboard I have ridden. It s not the best for the lighter kids because it doesnt have fins its kind of hard for them to cut on it. Other than that its a great board and I love it.

Last edited by kko13; 09-26-2010 at 8:53 AM.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-06-2010, 10:51 AM Reply   
We LOVE kneeboard wars, after a few beers of course. Winner stays on the water. usually only 2 boards, but if other friends are boating with us we grab their kneeboards.

We picked up a stealth plane looking all-red board from HO for about $120. Pretty good cuts, not as good as our other Hydroslide board for 3's by the kiddos. I just like to buy 'made in the usa' since we're just messing around and getting my 4yr old used to being towed around the lake.

Off topic: why would anyone want to tube flat water??? On my boat it's the middle of the lake and trying to get the biggest air.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-06-2010, 11:01 AM Reply   
I messed up my knee two summers ago - took up kneeboarding until I was good to go.... and I got awesome on it in only like a month.... better than a wakebaord

rolls both ways, flips both ways, raleys, 3s/5s/7s, I was close to double rolls, it was fun as ****.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-06-2010, 2:11 PM Reply   
Found out about the bad side of the kaos kneeboard this weekend. While I was still trying to get up and straped in a jetski cuts in front of us so my wife yanks off the throttle sends me over the front of the board and the board hit me in the face. Cut the hell out of my cheek, Nice 3 inch long cut. The edges of these boards are very sharp so keep them away from your face!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-06-2010, 2:43 PM Reply   
kevin i had a similar crash . i was kneeboarding and a huge boat cut in front of my wife when she hit their wake the boat went airborne and i hit their wake about the same time my wife slammed the throttle shut. of course i was pulling on the handle to make sure i cleared the 3 foot high wake when she cut the throttle. it caused me to rotate forward and land in between the wakes tip first and recieve such a body slam i was seeing stars for at least a minute. unfortunately my body took a week to recover. do you think i cussed her? you betcha!man that hurt.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       10-15-2010, 12:48 PM Reply   
If you're looking for a kneeboard the two best boards these days are the Obrien Rush 5150 and the HO Joker. The 5150 I believe is more forgiving and has more rocker. I ride an HO Element (similar to a joker, but more narrow in the tail) but wanted to step up to a 5150 this year, can't find any all are on backorder 'till maybe sometime over winter.

In any event, there are a fair amount of people into kneeboarding that can really throw down. I've been kneeboarding since before I knew wakeboarding existed. I started on an old rotomolded Hydroslide Pro riding behind an I/O with ski line, wondering why I couldn't clear the wake at 75' and with no idea there were good boards available or that people actually did anything on a kneeboard. Finally got a nicer board and stepped up to an inboard and clearing the wake easy landing in the flats. I can't do any inverts or anything yet, but will be pushing hard for it next season.

Finally got a wakeboard this season and splitting my time on the water between the two, but my heart is in kneeboarding. Check out some youtube vids, some people are really good. Also have a look over at www.kneeboardworld.com, lots of knowledgeable people over there.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-16-2010, 4:58 AM Reply   
My buddy has the joker and I really prefer the kaos over the joker. the joker just feels to small for me. i do like the double stap on the joker. But the pop and landing of the kaos is better to me. I will have to see if I can demo the 5150. After my laceration to the face and a huge wreck last time out I told myslef I might be done with the kneeboard and just stick to wakeboarding..but like you its my roots to watersports. I was kneeboarding long before a wakeboard was ever thought of. So I know I wont give it up.