Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-27-2003, 1:45 PM Reply   
how are you all tieing your rope when you are wakesurfing? i know the way i have been doing it, but not sure if its right. also, its a pain to get the knot back out once i do it. any suggestions or pictures of how you tie it?
Old    jplorenz            05-27-2003, 3:05 PM Reply   
Matt -
I took and old windsurfer uphaul rope (thick) and tied it to a 10' piece of nylon dock line that has a loop on the end that I attach to the back of my boat - 2000 SAN. The whole thing is about 15' long. I tied a figure 8 knot in the middle of the uphaul rope for better grip when getting up.
That is my dedicated "surfing rope". Its nice too because instead of tossing it back in the boat once you are up and "surfing" we just drop the rope and let it drag next to the rider so he/she can just reach down and pick it up if they need it to pull themselves back into the sweet spot.
Hope that helps a bit.
John L.
Old     (ronnie)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-27-2003, 6:17 PM Reply   
One Handle, two five foot Take-Offs from a cheap ski rope and you've got a fifteen foot rope.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-28-2003, 7:29 AM Reply   
i dont know why i havent thought about that one before. just get a piece of .... rope instead of using my good one. duhhhh. thanks.

actually, i have a rope that is about to break, so i quit using it. i guess i will start using that.
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       05-28-2003, 7:49 AM Reply   
This is a great topic.
I think using your wakeboard handle is very
dangerous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At only 10mph the handle seems to stay
in the fall zone for a very long time.
This is not good. It gives way too many
opportunities for the rider to stick a hand
or arm in a loop and get yanked during the fall.

When just starting out surfing, I used my regular
rope but had it tied out too long. So, by the time I got to the sweet spot I had a coil of rope,
the t-handle and the large handle in my hand.
As I fell, I dropped the whole mess and as
I headed for the water I caught a glimpse of my
arm going into the coil. I yanked my arm out
just in-time to feel the noose snap shut on last
finger tip to make it out, luckily it slipped off.

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND making a dedicated
Surf rope with either a very small handle (t-handle) or no handle at all.

This is not an issue when riding because by the time you hit the water on a fall the handle is
far gone. But it can happen.

Didn't I read about a guy on here (couple years ago) who got his hand caught in the handle? He
got yanked so hard, his armpit ripped completely open and it took nearly 100 stitches to close it.

Sorry for the doom and gloom, this just happen
to scare the crap out of me! : )
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       05-28-2003, 8:01 AM Reply   
One of my friends who used to be an avid water skier showed me an easy way to loop your rope around the pylon and still be able to get the knot off. Nice part is that you can set it at any length.

See if I can explain it without a picture. While standing on the swim step… toss the handle out behind the boat…. At about the 10 foot mark I create a loop in the rope (like a bunny ear for those of you that have taught kids to tie their shoes) Pass the loop around the pylon from the left side and as the loop comes back around the pylon pass it under the rope. Now all you have to do is flip the loop over the top of the pylon and the knot is set.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-28-2003, 9:57 AM Reply   
how does the loop turn into a knot? i am trying to picture this...
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       05-28-2003, 10:21 AM Reply   
After you pass the loop around the pylon and under the rope… put the top of the 'bunny ear' over the pylon and pull the rope to snug up the slack. Not sure if it a real knot or not…

Guess this is good practice for when I will have to teach my daughter how to tie her own shoes…

No they don’t make a Velcro version you can use.
Old     (ronnie)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-28-2003, 11:34 AM Reply   
We hook our rope to the rear of the boat, not the pylon. It's easy to toss the rope to the rider after they fall instead of trying to drag the rope to them. With fifteen feet of rope we still have a small coil of rope but we use it until we get to the right spot on the wake and just toss it back. We haven't had and falls where we can't toss the rope away if we start to go down.
Jeff..Do you have any reason why you hook to the pylon instead of the rear of the boat?
Another question...Some of us start out laying on the board on their stomach like surfing, I think it is easier to start like a wakeskate. Which method do ya'll use.
Old    hockeyruss            05-28-2003, 11:56 AM Reply   
I do exactly the same as ronnie-
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       05-28-2003, 3:45 PM Reply   
Note the pylon on my V-Drive sticks up just behind the rear seat.

No particular reason for using the pylon vs. the cleat on the back I guess… just habit. It does make it easier for the people in the boat to flip the rope over to the dirver’s side for pick ups if the rope is tied to the pylon… they don’t have to climb over the hatch to get to it.

yep lots of falling for the beginners… even when holding onto the rope. Slow motion falls… it’s classic to see the facial expressions before the fall is even finished.

We have also tried tying the rope the side cleat on the boat… did not work well for pickups either.

If you are a good surfer… you could probably surf start. I can’t do it yet. I either start like a wakeskate or off swim platform once the boat is up to speed. Starting of the platform is pretty fun.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-28-2003, 4:33 PM Reply   
My recommendation is a long braided section of rope that is big enough to hold onto but to big to get tangled up in.

Show skiers use this in pyramids because the ropes in a pyramid get longer the higher you go up.

Picture a braided wakeboard handle with no handle. Only the braided section would be longer
Old    krug            05-28-2003, 8:45 PM Reply   
how do you start off the platform again?
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       05-29-2003, 12:50 PM Reply   
I ride left foot forward. Tried riding goofy for fun and need some practice!

I start with the just the nose of the board on the left side of the swim step… put my left foot on the board so that just my heal is on the swim step.. the rest of my foot is on the board. My right foot is on the swim step for balance as the boat gets moving. You can hold the rope for balance or use the grab rail on the back of the transom if needed. Note the board gets a bit squirly getting up to speed as the white wash catches the fins. It’s easy to drag the tail of the board over if needed before you get ready to step off the swim step.

Once you up to speed you can move your right foot onto the tail of the board.. a bit further back than for normal riding position… the weight change will shift you off of the swim step and away you go… if you don’t shift your weight to the back foot you will ride for a while with the board stuck to the swim step. I have not tried starting off the swim step with no rope in hand yet….