Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-07-2012, 5:02 PM Reply   
How do u fix this? It is also sort of mexicanized. Help?
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       05-07-2012, 5:07 PM Reply   
Let go with your back hand as you start to roll out of the upside-down position for your landing. Bring the handle to your lead hip. This will stop you from spinning. Not sure about the Mexican issue. I'd have to see a video.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-07-2012, 5:28 PM Reply   
The Mexican issue is from throwing your head too much backwards and not looking over your shoulder.Also concentrate on edging all the way through the wake,this is a tip over tail rotation.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-30-2012, 2:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
The Mexican issue is from throwing your head too much backwards and not looking over your shoulder.Also concentrate on edging all the way through the wake,this is a tip over tail rotation.
Mexican happens when you put your chin on your chest and not on your shoulder.... I'm not sure its even possible to throw your head "back" during a back roll.... that would be a tantrum
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-31-2012, 5:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luker View Post
Mexican happens when you put your chin on your chest and not on your shoulder.... I'm not sure its even possible to throw your head "back" during a back roll.... that would be a tantrum
Where you look is where you go. You may not be throwing your head but your looking that way.If you put your chin in your chest you will rotate forward. Try a raley and put your chin to your chest.You will flip forward.
Old     (Kerry)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-30-2012, 11:09 AM Reply   
It took me forever to land my first invert - The Backroll. I even got knocked out one day after crashing hard 15 or so times trying it. After I finally stopped biting it all the time only flipping 3/4 of the way I finally got better air and the falls weren't as bad. For me, my biggest problem was not keeping my eyes open to spot my landing. They'd always end up closed and I would land sketchy and fall. Finally instead of turning my head and looking towards the sky (at the wake) I kept my focus on the boat. I would do the progressive edge but keep my eyes on the boat and tilt my head towards my back shoulder if that makes sense. This kept me from twisting in the air and almost landing revert like you say. I finally came down and landed my first one with my eyes closed haha. Then I worked at opening my eyes and started stomping them. After you get used to it you can look up towards the sky again to really boost your air but keeping focus on the boat can keep you straight (like a cartwheel). Hope that wasn't took long and hope it helps. Good luck. Landind that first flip was awesome!
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-30-2012, 5:50 PM Reply   
I have pretty much the same issue. This video is kinda old, but not much has changed. Still go to revert EVERY time. I bet I've tried this trick 60 times or more. I'm determined that this is the summer I'm gonna get it.

Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-31-2012, 9:51 AM Reply   
^ dude you should just let it go to revert... release your left hand after you make the rotation and ride away!
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-31-2012, 10:08 AM Reply   
You're trying to HUCK it too much. Just lean back on your back foot and look over your lead shoulder to the sky. Keet the rope on your lead hip as well- it's getting too far behind you and pulling you around.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-31-2012, 11:07 AM Reply   
I've always said that every good back-roll wants to go to revert. The problem is that you are edging up and away properly.

It can be a tough habit to break, but just keep you handle pinned to your lead hip as soon as you leave the wake all the way until you land. On a positive note, as soon as you land a Roll to revert you probably never do many regular back rolls again. The Roll to revert is much easier.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-01-2012, 12:00 PM Reply   
I could be wrong, but it looks like you are coming off your edge as you approach the wake. You need to have a progressive edge and cut harder as you get to the top of the wake, not let off.
Old     (Kerry)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-01-2012, 1:01 PM Reply   
Rich, couple of things I notice. Believe me it took me years to learn this first invert.

1) hold the handle a bit lower when edging. Also hold it really tight.
2) Try looking at the boat the entire way towards the wake in order to keep your shoulds square.
3) Let go with your backhand (your right hand) once you are mid-air.

Holding the handle lower is something I see a lot of guys always do wrong. This will give you more air for sure. Take a look at the pro's when they edge that handle in held in and lower to give you that extra pull and to pop you higher.
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-01-2012, 3:06 PM Reply   
Thanks everybody! Hopefully your advice to me will work for the original poster as well...

looks like I've got some bad habits to try and break.
Old     (burn229)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-08-2012, 12:54 AM Reply   
1. Take a shorter aproach, 2-3 ft from the start of the white wash. You're starting too far out for a BR. Start digging in your edge when you hit the white wash. This will help with letting off your edge like you are
2. You need to pop more. It looks like your knees are a little bent as your leaving the wake and your not getting the height you need.
3. As you come around and spot your landing push the handle out toward the shore line. This will stop you from going to revert.

Last edited by burn229; 06-08-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Old     (Tino3)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-11-2012, 8:43 PM Reply   
I've got the same problem and have tried everything to fix it and I've just accepted to master this trick I will have to learn to let it go to revert. But don't give up on it yet keep doing what these guys say. Just figured I'd let you know I have the same issue.
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-14-2012, 9:55 PM Reply   
I've been working 15-17 hour days and haven't had any chances to hit the lake. Tomorrow, we're going out at 5:30AM before work... it'll be my first chance to give this a shot since this thread started. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the advice!
Old     (lukus)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-15-2012, 6:38 AM Reply   
I have the same problem with going to revert. And it is starting to eat at me in a bad way since I've came so close to landing this trick so many times. I either go just a little revert with a snappy progressive rotation or stay regular with a slow rotating raleyish backroll. The slow rotating ones come when I think about keeping the handle locked to my lead hip.
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-19-2012, 6:17 PM Reply   
I had a similar problem while learning this trick. I will tell you how Nick Heaney fixed my problem.

Looks like you flatten off as you ride up the wake. your hardest edge should be at the top of the wake. take a shorter more focused aproach. start your edge at a 1 and be at a 10 at the top of the wake. Also, don't throw it too early. make sure your head is still over your feet as you cross the lip of the wake. After you initiate your rotation look for the water over your left shoulder. as soon as you see the water, take your back hand off of the handle. This will do 2 things, Stop you from going to revert, and slow down your rotation. Once I tried this, I was sticking them every time.

Looks like you have a really nice roll to revert if you want it though! Just drop that hand and ride it out!