Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-16-2007, 6:39 AM Reply   
bad bad idea
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-16-2007, 6:47 AM Reply   
Where are the arm rests?! Why would they make the rear end all retro? Aside from the interior, I'm bored. That thing better fly or do at least 75.

(Message edited by fatsac on November 16, 2007)
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-16-2007, 7:21 AM Reply   
I just threw up in my mouth a little. What is it with new boat (and cars too for that matter) designs?
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-16-2007, 7:26 AM Reply   
Chaun, I noticed them, but I didn't want to say anything.

I think this is a cool looking boat, but I do agree with others are saying. If this is a limited production boat, then these boats are gonna cost a forture and take away from the overall production of malibu. If it is going into mass production, good luck to malibu. Either way, it costs a lot of money to build a brand new model from scratch. I know GM is sponsoring it, but that is a lot of engineering and money to not mass produce them. The best comparison would be expensive watch production. Some companies make a very limited amount of $200,000 watches. They might barely break even on those watches, but the high end watches help promote the name of the company and sell more of the lower in models.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-16-2007, 7:35 AM Reply   
You guys are complaining about jack stands? the boat is in the middle of a conference room raised up on a stage.

Yes Malibu did a direct drive vette boat in the late 90s.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-16-2007, 7:45 AM Reply   
I can tell that a lot of people here don't get it.
this is simply for show and to bring some attention to malibu and GM. Yes they will make a small number of boats and believe me they will sell all of them, most likely with a long waiting list. There are plenty of people out there who will buy this just because it matches their vette in the garage. Are any of these people wakeboarders? Maybe a few, but that's not what this boat is about. I just had one of my coworkers (non wakeboarder) check out the pictures of this boat and the first words out of his mouth were "that's Bada$$". I know they sold all of the older vette boats and i'm sure that most of them were never used for skiing.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-16-2007, 7:47 AM Reply   
Haven't you heard that all major inboard boat co's are doing this type of limited ed.

Saturn and Mastercraft are going to come out with limited edition boat.

Toyota and Epic as well as Toyota and Supra will be intertwining car asthetics in their boats.

MB Sports would be do a British sports car theme and they would be usuing the old MG's
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-16-2007, 8:13 AM Reply   
I heard Correct Craft is building a Edsel.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-16-2007, 8:16 AM Reply   
Tige is building an R-Z4 for BMW
Old     (the_duke)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-16-2007, 8:54 AM Reply   
Just my humble opinion, but Danny and his boys are absolutely brilliant! We all have our dreams, but few are lucky enough to see their dreams realized. I salute the owners and management of Malibu Boats for letting their dreamers step out of the box. That’s why they’re # 1. Upload
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-16-2007, 9:37 AM Reply   
Hey, interesting concept on the Calabria. Do the side vents fill up as your under power? ;)

Amazing how many people just don't get it. Concepts & limited edition boats are done for tons of reasons other than to sell tons. One reason, like someone said already, is to let the developers really expand & see what kind of ideas they can dream up. This particular boat may not make it into mass production, but I'd be willing to bet that certain features of it make their way into boats in coming years. GM does concept cars & trucks all the time for this very reason.

And if you think they won't make a ton of money on these, you are sadly mistaken. They will sell out, and have a line at the door for more. Rememeber what everyone said about Mastercraft's picklefork X-Star? And now how popular is it? So much that Tige & MB are making them too?

I still want that hard cover hood on my vRide!
Old     (coldlake)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-16-2007, 10:59 AM Reply   
maybe they'll sell out or maybe not.

but i would sure be interested to hear about a Z06 engine option in the boat of your choice......
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-16-2007, 11:07 AM Reply   
Tim, where did that pic come from?
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-16-2007, 11:11 AM Reply   
You have to admit its much better this time around than the last run at this. And I doubt that any one on here wouldnt go check it out if you saw it at a show or on the water. For a promo boat its pretty cool. Sort of like the whole OC Chopper thing.

Tim that Cali is stealth!
Old     (jumpman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-16-2007, 11:13 AM Reply   
Tim,
When is that Cali hitting the showrooms?
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       11-16-2007, 12:20 PM Reply   
I don't see the word malibu one place on the boat.

It looks to me like malibu built a boat for corvette, not a corvette edition malibu.

I would never buy it but would love to see or drive one sometime.

I really like the roll down windows. I hope we see those in other boats.
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-16-2007, 12:38 PM Reply   
At least they didnt use that funky vented support for the windshield. Im with Jon I think a roll down window would be sweet to have.
Old     (mracrew)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-16-2007, 12:52 PM Reply   
i dont like the transom it looks to much like a corvette...

(Message edited by mracrew on November 16, 2007)
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-16-2007, 1:28 PM Reply   
This isn't the first time that malibu has made a corvette boat so I guess it must haved worked out ok last time or there is some other reason.
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-16-2007, 1:30 PM Reply   
http://www.corvettesnorth.com/html/boats.html
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-17-2007, 1:18 AM Reply   
im gonna agree with brandon at the top and say GAY!!
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-17-2007, 1:20 AM Reply   
hahah i just came to the relization thats my friend looking in the font compartment. ahahahaha
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-17-2007, 9:34 AM Reply   
Is ur friend kellen?
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-17-2007, 10:37 AM Reply   
billy, yea my friends kellen.lol how do you know him??
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       11-17-2007, 10:45 AM Reply   
do any of you HATERS on here realize that this boat is not marketed towards the wakeboard crowd at all?

carry on with the poop slinging....
Old     (ridetillurdead26)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-18-2007, 1:34 AM Reply   
haha good old kell just chillin in that picture
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-18-2007, 7:12 AM Reply   
What if the boat has the nose dip into the water? Is that going to fry the stereo?
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-18-2007, 12:47 PM Reply   
Michael

i went to school with him and we also bought our boat from hime... plus i teach him how to wakeboard... lol (yeah right)
Old     (ridetillurdead26)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-18-2007, 1:29 PM Reply   
billy,
i think kell teaches all how to ride
Old    bocephus            11-18-2007, 2:06 PM Reply   
Glastron Carlson was and is the most innovative boat builder there ever was!!! That things MONEY!

Upload
Upload
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-18-2007, 5:27 PM Reply   
What is the purpose of this boat? An enthusiasts dream? A speed boat built by a skiboat company? A v-drive set up like a direct drive? Is it built any better that any other Malibu? All the HP it needs to be. That stereo and all the componets...can your hear it with the bow closed?

This is not a boat manufactuers first time trying to build boats that look like cars.

By the way I promise you that BU payed a HEFY fee to GM to market this product. Just like Indmar payed HEFTY to use the Cadillac logo on the LQ-9 motor. That is why there is a NEW 6.0 litre being used. Upload
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-18-2007, 5:27 PM Reply   
What is the purpose of this boat? An enthusiasts dream? A speed boat built by a skiboat company? A v-drive set up like a direct drive? Is it built any better that any other Malibu? All the HP it needs to be. That stereo and all the componets...can your hear it with the bow closed?

This is not a boat manufactuers first time trying to build boats that look like cars.

By the way I promise you that BU payed a HEFY fee to GM to market this product. Just like Indmar payed HEFTY to use the Cadillac logo on the LQ-9 motor. That is why there is a NEW 6.0 litre being used. Upload
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-18-2007, 6:14 PM Reply   
One question I have is that if it goes as fast as it looks, how will the average owner keep his toupe on?

One more, when is the Limited Edition, red, satin, Corvette Boat Jacket going to be available for sale?

Here's another, can you special order it with wider heavy duty seats?

Or how about this one. Will the optional bumper sticker "Ass, Grass, or Cash, No One Rides For Free" cost extra?

I could go on and on...
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-18-2007, 9:44 PM Reply   
I don't own a vette, don't need z06 power, but I think it's cool. I think the old vette baot is cool. Would I buy one, no. Would I like one in my gargage, yes.

With that said. It should be DD. The Vette is all about handling and super car performance. I v drive can't do that. That engine in a Sanger DD, close to 70 MPH. That's pretty cool.
Old     (steve_b)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-19-2007, 7:49 AM Reply   
Upload

How did they fit that Glastron Carlson boat into a toilet?
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-19-2007, 8:38 AM Reply   
Interesting to come back and read some of the comments.

Ballast, power wedge, tower? Remember what this boat is supposed to be guys.

(Message edited by cavlxenvy on November 19, 2007)
Old     (mcfatty)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-19-2007, 12:19 PM Reply   
Like someone else said, I bet a lot of the parts and innovations go into future boats. I love the dashboard.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-19-2007, 12:21 PM Reply   
And the corvette will get a diesel in 2009, crazy huh...
http://cars.about.com/b/2007/04/01/corvette-to-get-diesel-power-for-2009.htm
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-19-2007, 1:11 PM Reply   
Wow For the first time ever I am going to agree with Bocreepas. The old Glastrons were badass. I remember when Cypress Gardens used them in the late 70's early 80's they were silver metal flake and had 200hp Johnsons on the back. My next door neighbor got one after CG was done with it. The boat was woreout but still turned a lot of heads.
I think the Vette boat is cool, not that I could or would pay 100k for it.
I think Malibu did a great job designing it. They went all out, not like the Centurian Nascar boats that was just a bunch of stickers and nothing else.
HOLY CRAP whats wrong with me !!? I'm agreeing with Bocreepas and giving Malibu a compliment?
I must be getting senile in my old age.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-19-2007, 2:22 PM Reply   
That's an ugly boat, IMHO. Should have been a direct drive. I'm sure they'll sell everyone they make, but if I wanted a flashy 500hp boat that went really fast and cost $100k, it wouldn't be an inboard.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-19-2007, 4:07 PM Reply   
I know Billy what's up with that did you fall and bump your head, not fealing well or what LOL
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-20-2007, 7:38 AM Reply   
Should have been a direct drive? That's a guaranteed way to not sell them.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-20-2007, 5:31 PM Reply   
Lots of speculation around here. So does anyone really know if either GM or Malibu is footing a bigger share of the bill as a marketing move? I would guess it's fairly equal. Is that a boat show, or dealer meeting?

I like it, but I've also always liked 'vettes. You guys that are taking shots at it about wakeboarding options crack me up. Believe it or not, there are other reasons people buy boats.
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-25-2007, 3:55 PM Reply   
that is a sweet boat. i would love one to just cruise around the lake in after I am done boarding.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-26-2007, 1:05 PM Reply   
Dear Mr. WakeBoat Builder,

I know you have a strong impulse to put more and more bling in a boat to satisfy the perceived cravings of the post MTV generation, but I ask you, are fiberglass enclosed kickers in a closed bow a really good idea? Have your engineers given any thought to new vector type propulsion systems which may have the capacity for greater hole shot and less fule usage. Or perhaps exploring other more efficeint engine such as more widely available diesel options or borrowing from Toyota's non-GM block based drivetrain. You may not have noticed, but gas prices are getting higher and governments will have these luxury items in their scopes when they consider environmental legislation. I nastalgically noticed that the prop/drive systmen in the new Corvette line looked very similar to my neighbors 50s era vintage Nautiqe. Perhaps your engneering dream team could be directed to critically look at the v-drive/d-drive configurations which have been around in essentailly the same fashion longer than most of us have been alive. I did take satisfaction in buying an EFI engine in 2000 but wondered why this was not widely available until 20 years after the cheapest car had EFI engines. The wakeboats seem to have the latest sound systems and stylish cupholders but not much seems to change once you get past the vinyl and dashboard.

I know your research dollars can't possibly consider all design elements, but PLEASE STOP PUTTING USELESS CRAP IN YOUR BOATS!!!!
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-26-2007, 2:52 PM Reply   
AtTheLake.... you are truly off-base here.

And if you buy this boat, you are footing the bill for the R&D. The cost was not wrapped into other Malibu boats.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-26-2007, 3:11 PM Reply   
AttheLake:

spellcheck, bro....it's hard to sound smug when you mis-spell critical words....
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-26-2007, 4:20 PM Reply   
Upon reflection, I still stand by my words, just not my spelling.

There is a cost to Malibu and all of their boats building this or anything else new. The opportunity cost of building this meant their designers, engineers, etc. spent time on this project instead of spending time on other innovations. I suspect there are hard dollar costs that will be spread across the entire Malibu line as well but that is an accounting issue that none of non-industry folks will have enough information to comment on with any credibility.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-26-2007, 4:32 PM Reply   
I sell these things AtTheLake. Trust me. I know all about the costs involved and I have seen the price increases this year. They fall in-line with previous years. The '08 line was done before they even started working on this boat. Stick to things you know about.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-26-2007, 5:06 PM Reply   

quote:

none of non-industry folks will have enough information to comment on with any credibility.

...pretty much.

Also, Malibu's newly redesigned 23LSV is nothing short of bad ass, so you can all just pipe down about the whole "they spent too much time on this Corvette boat and not enough on their new boats" crap.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       11-29-2007, 12:31 AM Reply   
People with a lot of money wanted these boats, Malibu built them and made lots of money for their employee owners, not to mention satisfying a lot of Corvette junkies.

It's kinda like when MC came out with the direct drive fishing, boarding, scuba, mountain biking boat. Something that very few people want to buy, especially people from this website.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-29-2007, 9:24 AM Reply   
The money GM threw at this project came out of the marketing budget, which probably dwarfs Malibu's entire budget. Remember, we are talking about hundreds of millions of dollars GM spends on marketing alone......the cost to get that Vette boat done was probably less than one 30 second ad during the super bowl this year.

Scale, guys.....two wildly different industries at play here. Life and Death dollars for Malibu/Mastercraft/etc....is chump change to an auto maker like GM.
Old     (mlb75)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-03-2007, 1:38 PM Reply   
Am I the only one that's reminded of a big jet ski the way the bow opens up? FWIW I think the thing is hideous but hey if it's your cup of tea and you want a completely useless boat go for it. As for it being a marketing tool for the Vette folks good luck with that one...
Old     (buguru)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-03-2007, 3:16 PM Reply   
Mike B.... You say it looks hideous?? Your profile says you have a TomCat??? Talk about hideous, have you looked at your boat lately???
Old     (mlb75)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-04-2007, 10:45 AM Reply   
different strokes... I'll leave it at that.
Old     (mastercraft4u)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-04-2007, 12:28 PM Reply   
Man am I glad to see Malibu moving in the direction of building SPEED BOATS. I guess with the great sucess of there wakeboard boats and that WEDGE, they need to venture into new arenas. Because if someone copies that idea...uh oh watch out everyone will start building them.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-11-2007, 12:25 PM Reply   
Trust me these boats are selling like hot cakes, so there IS a market and people DO want them.
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-11-2007, 3:00 PM Reply   
"TRUST ME" Ya thats the FIRST words I wanna here. "TRUST ME". Other words that impress me in a sales presentation. "To be prefectly honest" No please lie to me "TRUST ME" No Honestly !!!

Other great word "DUDE TRUST ME WHEN I TELL YA"

Come on Malibudude...aren't you at least a little PRO BU...drinking that MALITRUTH COOLAIDE?

No Please "TRUST ME DUDE"
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-11-2007, 6:39 PM Reply   
TK,

Couple of corrections:

GM approached Malibu
Malibu didn't pay GM
The LQ9 is a POS ask any GM tech about the Northstar engine and oil consumption. Or about the TSB about the rings.
Besides, the Northstar engine is no longer in production. The Caddy V-8 is now the 6.2 I would say that has more to do with the switch to the 6.0

Different strokes for different folks.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-11-2007, 6:43 PM Reply   
Wow TK did you drink some of that hateraid or what...
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-11-2007, 7:08 PM Reply   
Shawn...Get your facts striaght and in order please. You are confusing 2 different motor
The 330 HP LTR had the Northstar ignition up until 2002 IN 03 it was replaced with the MCX.

a)GM approached Malibu HA HA HA GM just came up with the idea on there own PLEASE

b)Malibu didn't pay GM BU did'nt pay GM or is not paying GM...Then why is the boat SO EXPENSIVE? You really think that BU is getting to use the Corvette Logo for FREE ? PLEASE I was'nt born yesterday.

INDMAR payed hefty for the Cadillac logo on the LQ-9 and in turn the customer paid. Maybe you where born yesterday

c)The LQ9 is a POS ask any GM tech about the Northstar engine and oil consumption. Or about the TSB about the rings.

The LQ-9 worked out great in the MC Product line at Higher RPM's. Not a POS. The current 6 litre is the same block, it produces more HP because of the variable valve timing AWESOME MOTOR and less expensive because IT DOES NOT say Cadillac on it

Besides, the Northstar engine is no longer in production. The Caddy V-8 is now the 6.2 I would say that has more to do with the switch to the 6.0
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-11-2007, 7:52 PM Reply   
TK,

The LQ9 was the Northstar motor, or at least according to Mastercraft propoganda or brochure if you like. Why do you think it had a Cadillac logo on it?

Malibu is using the Corvette logo free. What you think GM is turning down free or basically free advertising?

I don't know whether or not Indmar payed to use the Caddy logo or not, but whatever.

It's simple, you don't like the boat, don't buy one. That goes for any boat. Like I said before, different strokes for different folks. The Vet boat isn't for me either, but it is new and different. Some will like it, some won't.

It kind of sucks that everyone on this board has at least one thing in common......wakeboarding, but there's a constant pissing contest. My boat's better than your boat, etc. Did I miss something? When did wakeboarding, or owning a boat become a measure of manhood contest.
Old     (movinfr8)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-11-2007, 8:40 PM Reply   
Videos that make you want to run out and get one

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oUr9sFD0uS4

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hlTRY8eW8o8
Old     (mastercraft4u)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-12-2007, 2:26 PM Reply   
Steve,

Thanks for posting! Great Ads. Great boat. Do they go above IDLE? WOW I am impressed
Old     (kcampos)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-12-2007, 4:18 PM Reply   
LOL Larry, for reals i was expecting to see some of the boats performance but all they did was idle around. Maybe still working out some or the kinks
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-12-2007, 7:39 PM Reply   
Hopefully the other big name wakeboat companies will try and compete, like CC and Mastercraft. Malibu makes me LOL!

That must have been a great board meeting at the Malibu HQ - "how can we jack up the price on sub-par crap?". ZING
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-22-2007, 11:29 AM Reply   
Check out this Glastron Scimitar up here in Canada.

http://www.wizardlakemarine.com/used/view_boat.php?id=57
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-22-2007, 7:04 PM Reply   
Why waste your time with a car and a boat. Get the combo.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8ewFmNHTAw&feature=related