Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 21, 2007

Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-09-2007, 8:15 AM Reply   
At first glance, it seems that they mention water-ski clubs a little too much for my taste, and are very reminiscent of INT.

I could be way wrong as I have no experience with them and haven't really heard anything good or bad. Anyone have experience with them (not organizers) at a contest?

What did you think? Thoughts?
Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-09-2007, 8:57 AM Reply   
They are definately headed in the right direction BUT they are very young and still have alot of work to do to be very credible. Their Nationals last year had maybe 1 or 2 riders in most divisions and that kind of takes away from the credibility of a National Title. With that said Chris Walker is trying his best and doing a great job but they are young and have alot of work to get where they need to be but they are trying very hard. Hope they get there.
Old     (alliecat0223)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-09-2007, 9:07 AM Reply   
I have to agree, Chris is trying his hardest its still a very young league but Chris and his team are working to make this a great league. Since I live in Indy I compete at the compettition that Chris runs. He makes them out to be so much fun and worth your time. I know at the boat show he will be pushing it again and this summer I will have more time to do more compettition with this league. I whish I had more of that last year.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-09-2007, 9:24 AM Reply   
Steve, another plug hear for Chris Walker, he's doing a lot with the NWL in the midwest, he posts online often, I'm sure we'll hear from him on your question.

USA Water Ski/ NWL have great organization and have historically been focused on 3-event skiing. However the structure and support is there to do an awful lot with the NWL. I ran my first event last year under the NWL.

It’s pretty hard to pull the trained USA Water 3-event guys away from a local, state, regional or national 3-event, competition to support wakeboarding. I did contact another local club and borrowed some gear for my event last year. From what I can see the 3-event guys are very organized and pretty hardcore, more in to their sport than most wakeboarders. Wakeboarders seem much more laid back and less likely to find out what needs to be done and put together a complete event.

I’m working to build up a local core of trained drivers, judges and so on for my events. You need trained people so you can assure safety and meet event insurance requirements, that’s one of the key things you get from any sanctioning body. Chris is working to help event organizers like myself build up the resources needed to run good events.

Chris opened up his nationals event, inviting me to add wakesurfing to NWL Nationals, how cool is that!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-09-2007, 9:25 AM Reply   
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't NWL been around a long time? They are a part of USA Waterski/Wakeboard and have been running grassroots events for quite some time. The Wakesports events in San Diego that have been around for years (unfortunately no longer) were all done through NWL I believe.

I remember the folks at USA Waterski showing me the package that they provide for grassroots events at least five years ago and at that time it looked like one of the best options available. It was very organized and had a lot of support behind it. Other than that, I have no experience with them, but I would definitely look into it if I was throwing an event.
Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-09-2007, 9:46 AM Reply   
I think they have been around for a while but around the midwest people's perception is they were just born yesterday. Correct they are a part of USA wbrd/ski. Things happen alot faster on the right & left coast. It takes some time for things to trickle into these non coast states. Heck we just got cars a few years ago.
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-09-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
I lived in Cali for 8 years and have never heard of them around the Delta areas.