Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old     (skireel)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-11-2003, 6:03 PM Reply   
Is it common to trickle charge your boat battery in your slip or garage? Do most people have access to an AC plug near where they keep their boat to use for the charger?
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-11-2003, 6:07 PM Reply   
We disconnect our battery and trickle charge it through the winter
Old    wildman240            11-11-2003, 6:13 PM Reply   
That's the best thing to do if you don't want to be buying batteries every year. Good luck.
Old     (skireel)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-11-2003, 6:25 PM Reply   
Do you remove the battery from the boat completely to charge? Sounds like a good idea during offseason. Do you also charge it some during the summer?
Old    wildman240            11-11-2003, 7:26 PM Reply   
Yeah if you can take your battery out you might as well to protect it from the cold temps. and you can put a trickle charger on it and it just slower charges your battery and when it's full automatically shuts off and then kicks on every once in awhile to give it a little bit of a charge. You shouldn't really need to do it during the season because it is charging from your alternator everytime your boat is running.
Old     (migitty)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-11-2003, 8:20 PM Reply   
I've been using a Deltran Battery Tender for years and have never, ever had a power issue. It's nice to know it's always fully charged. I fully recommend these. See link.

http://www.batterytender.com/

Here’s the exact one I use.

http://batterytender.com/product_info.php?products_id=2&osCsid=03588f51bbce 5323c8e1f42a5d3a8944

I think their FAQ’s are very informative.

http://batterytender.com/faqs.php?osCsid=03588f51bbce5323c8e1f42a5d3a8944
Old    norcal_99            11-11-2003, 8:58 PM Reply   
I trickle
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-12-2003, 6:13 AM Reply   
I actually got the small one from overtons. I believe it is an exide. It fits in the battery box with my battery on the side and i just plug it in when in storage.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-12-2003, 7:05 AM Reply   
Deltran like Migitty Matt posted.

I use one on both the boat and motorcycle batteries. My last bike battery went all most 4 years before need replacement. That is twice the expected life for it.

In the boat, I have wired a fused pig tail to the battery. Ran the cord down the side of the boat interior (hidden) to the back. I have a couple of other things I plug in and just ran all of the plugs to one place. I just drop the charger in after eash use and plug the pig tail into it. Nice and easy, battery all way ready to go.
Old    whitechocolate            11-12-2003, 7:15 AM Reply   
Hell Yes, Check out this Battery Charger I made for my 4 Battery's http://svtsupercharged.com/gallery/charger.

P.S Deltran also makes a 4 Battery, Charger, So you don't need a Evil Empire/work shop in a hallowed out Volcano to make your own. Ha Ha

Dr. Evil
Old    whitechocolate            11-12-2003, 7:17 AM Reply   
Muuuuuhahahahahaaaa
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-12-2003, 7:44 AM Reply   
W/ the Optima Marine Battery I have I just disconnect it & keep it in the boat...which is in a heated building. No problems.