Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-04-2006, 8:49 AM Reply   
i want to build a slider. nothing crazy, like a 20 footer. what kind of pvc should i get, etc? fill me in...thanks
Old    alanp            08-04-2006, 11:23 AM Reply   
are u building a floating or permanent slider
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-04-2006, 11:35 AM Reply   
ours floats. pvc for the top rail? schedule 40 i guess... you'll want several pipes side-by-side to make a flat rail on top. we used some left over Trex and a few barrels
Upload
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-04-2006, 11:41 AM Reply   
floating...nacho, can you tell me how you made yours?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-04-2006, 12:59 PM Reply   
its really simple. build a frame on the bottom. attach whatever will float it. barrels, foam, whatever. we built the wing type things for stability when you hit it. anchor (cinder block)on the front and one on the back, rope to the slider. drop one anchor and pull it tight the drop the other. doesn't move much. have fun
Upload
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-04-2006, 1:05 PM Reply   
you really need to make it longer if you can. 20 feet isn't much and you don't have time to do a whole lot, but its pretty fun. if you're not moving it much, make it longer
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-04-2006, 1:58 PM Reply   
I agree 25 plus or you will be adding more soon. this started as a 24' half rainbow, then I built another 24' to make it a full rainbow. The final stage was removing 24' half rainbow and adding a 24' dragon section to the end. By far the dragon was the most fun. rails to spins and blind are way more fun than sliding back down into the water. Sorry no pics of the dragon.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-04-2006, 1:59 PM Reply   
use trex or pvc. never abs i found out the hard way
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-13-2006, 3:02 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Here is possibly the easiest slider to build... it also can be used for tubing too obviously. I had pipes layin in the back yard for free, got the tube at a garage sale and repaired it for like 30 dollars and then got two straps with sinch clips that i fed through holes in the sides of the PVC. I used one cinder block to weigh the pipes down in the water and another to anchor it.
GHETO... but hey it worked.
The board was a garge saled item too.

Love 'em garage sales
Old    qbanboarder312            08-13-2006, 9:57 PM Reply   
those are all awesome how long is that last rail on top of that tube. can any1 send me the plans at qbanballer312@aol.com thanks
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-14-2006, 8:44 AM Reply   
I'm in college and the slider is at home... but i think it was 15 feet. I could have made it a little longer off the tip of the tube though. If you didn't understand the "how to" that was with my pics than let me know .

ALSO i have seen on wakeboarding videos how they made a small 5-10 foot slider on tubes pulled at the same length as the boarder. The tube/slider is puleed in the middle of the wake and the wakeboarder can hit it all day long simply by cutting back and forth. watch the videos for it. I know theres one on "All for Nothing" and on the byerly documentary film,"Retrospect"
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-14-2006, 9:01 AM Reply   
Someone could probably rig up what i did from a string of circular donut tubes. If you have two or more flat circular tubes you can do as mentioned above or modify my bananatube design... or do somthing entirely different.

People get pretty creative out there just with the stuff they got in there back yard and other already existing materials... OR GARAGE SALES.
There is almost no need to go out to buy stuff at a retail store in order to make the simple stuff.

My dad found a sail board at a garage sale for like 5 bucks (YUP GARAGE SALES AGAIN) he bought it last winter and told me that i could take the skeg off the bottom, flip it over and slide it....... I have not tried it yet though.

SOOOO. if this idea sounds cool. Get your (or a garge saled) piece of crap canoe, sail board, or other floating object with a grindable surface, flip it over, make adjustments as needed, etc. (remove fins, add floatation, pipes, anchors, etc. as necissary) then put your board on, and dont forget a helmet. I just used a bike helmet... probably not the safest, but better than nothing

Speaking of safety--- i would be sure the pipes for the on ramp are DEFFINATELY under the water and or capped at the ends. mine were hollow ended and were bobbing just at the surface till i added more weight with another cinder block. The crash picture above i put a nice 2-3 inch gouge in the crappy garage sale board that was just a few inches from doing the same to my precious foot. see the spot circled in the next pickUpload Nice thing about tube designs is that they can fold down and up for easy storage and transport, softer on the flailing body, and can be used for other sources of fun on board down time.... BUT if you happen to pop it, than you'll be wishing for a repair kit
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-14-2006, 9:07 AM Reply   
P.S. i used a dremal drill to put elongated holes in the sides of the pipes then fed the straps through and arround the tube and cinced them tight so as to not move. The rubber seats and handles on the top of the tube helped provide grip and the pipes NEVER shifted, until after the long bumpy drag home behind the boat... and even then, the shift was minimal.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-14-2006, 9:11 AM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload

Here is more picks. I went a little over board on the safety equip. but it made my dad happy

LAKE POWELL 's the bomb.
(p.s. no problems from the park service either)