Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (troutpac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-28-2008, 5:57 AM Reply   
I finally took the time to learn the HS backroll on a trampoline after some nasty falls on the water. Should I initiate the flip at the same time I am doing it on the trampoline.?Should the flip feel the same on the water now.? I think I was flipping way too early on the water because I wasnt getting enough height and I was underotating.They seem simple on the trampoline when you wait to flip. The flip on the tramp felt slow and relaxed.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-30-2008, 12:25 PM Reply   
Frankie, I would like to learn on the tramp

do you have video

isn't the rotation more of a side to side move?
any advice?
Old     (troutpac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-01-2008, 6:24 AM Reply   
Cliff-Get a good bounce going.I wouldnt bother with the rope yet because your arms help you get around. Dont think too much about the first one or you'll scare yourself out of it. You'll probably land on your side for the first few but I only bruised up my elbows a little(wear a long sleeve shirt).Make sure have a good bounce and tilt your head and then tuck it towards your belly. You'll be surprised how easy you come around.Put a lot of energy into the tuck. I go on with my 9 year old-she'll throw backflips and fronts and that got my nerve up. The kids make it look easy. Good luck.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-01-2008, 6:37 AM Reply   
thanks Frankie
are you doing a true back flip .....rotation like you were falling on your back, or more of a reverse cartwheel rotation

the cartwheel seems to be more like the rotation when wakeboarding

I know....I'm overthinking
.........I always get accused of that

thanks
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-01-2008, 6:42 AM Reply   
Frankie if you throw it on the water like it sounds you are doing on the tramp right now, it will be a mexican backroll. There's nothing wrong with that, but it is different. You can use the mexi to do an early handle pass roll-to-blind or a KGB.

If you want a progressive backroll. You can practice with the rope on the trampoline. Practice by looking over your lead sholder and throwing it away from your rope. This should put a lot of tension on the rope and simulate how it should be thrown on the water.

When you get to the water, set up about 10 feet outside the wake, set a nice easy mellow edge into the wake, right when you get to the trough of the wake cut hard and as you come up the wake look over your lead shoulder. This trick, in my opinion, is all about the timing.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-01-2008, 6:49 AM Reply   
away from the rope?
so your board rotates along side the rope or perpendicular to the rope?
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-01-2008, 7:29 AM Reply   
Away from the rope meaning lean away from the rope so there is tension on the line. You still will essientally be doing a circle around the handle, but slightly tilted so as to put tension on the line. I hope that makes sense.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-01-2008, 7:40 AM Reply   
yup
thanks
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-01-2008, 10:44 AM Reply   
I am always confused on where my head should turn. I ride goofy, if I'm coming in HS am I looking over the back of my shoulder or puttin my ear against my left shoulder? Whenever I try and turn my head to the right (behind my lead shoulder) I feel like I do more of a true backflip than more of a cartwheel.

Thanks...
Old     (troutpac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-01-2008, 12:36 PM Reply   
Scubz-I can't get this idea down. If I cut in and ride up the wake and lean against the rope, then initiate the rotation I get not much height and a wicked fast rotation with way too much line tension.Then I hit the water hard.Should it feel just like a wake to wake jump off the wake then as you come off the wake you initiate the backroll?. I think Im throwing it too early. The mexican backroll that I am doing on the tramp feels lofty. Like I am going straight up and rotating slow. It feels safer but what do I know.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-02-2008, 4:09 AM Reply   
Frankie, you shouldn't really have to throw this trick. If you load the line and as you come off the wake, look over your lead shoulder, it should whip you around. The rotation will probably be pretty quick at first. Remember, come in mellow, you don't need to carry a lot of speed into this trick, then load the line the last couple feet, this will give you plenty of pop to clear the wake.

Most likely you are putting way too much tension on the line really early, coming off your edge and then hucking the trick. Can you shoot any vid? Don't worry, it will come. I threw this trick literally about 100 times before I landed it. Once I started landing it, I am pretty much 98% on this trick. I can not ride for a year, come back and land this trick no problem.
Old     (troutpac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-02-2008, 5:09 AM Reply   
Thanks Skubz-I'll give it try.Ive tried a few air rolls a couple of years ago at the wakeboard camp in florida and the coach said I was doing it correctly.My inlaws just moved down to Florida (Tampa Area) . Im so jealous.If I could find a job there I'd hook up my boat and go too.All year riding!!! You can't ride for a year?
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-02-2008, 9:17 AM Reply   
Skubz
thanks for all of the input
I'm gunna start really working on the tramp....

what would help me the most is for you to say that the falls and learning curve don't hurt

I worked on 360's a couple of times last year.....and not real motivated to try those again any time soon
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-06-2008, 6:55 AM Reply   
Cliff the falls and learning curve don't hurt

Seriously, for me, other than the first few I through (a coach told me to hall in w/ a bunch of speed - he had no clue), learning this trick has not hurt. Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

Frankie, just saying no matter how much time I take off, it seems like this trick never leaves me.
Old     (troutpac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-06-2008, 7:31 AM Reply   
Skubz-Thats good to know about the backroll. It takes me a few crashes to get my 3 back in the spring. When I cut in for a HS360 I take a wide mellow cut. Should it be the same for a backroll? Last summer I took cut in way to hard for a HS backroll and got thrown into a twisted raley and cracked a rib. PAIN!!! and I could'nt ride 100% for 6 weeks.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-06-2008, 8:37 AM Reply   
Frankie, I would take a much shorter approach on the backroll than on the 3. Probably like 1/2 or even close to a 1/4 of the approach. It's easier at first to take a short approach so you don't edge to hard in the beginning. By taking a shorter approach it forces you to cut hard at the wake.