Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-01-2007, 11:56 AM Reply   
Just got 35's on it and the tire pressure sensors are saying the air is low. Anyone know of places (other than the dealer) that will calibrate them, the speedo and adjust headlights.

Suggestions?
Old     (fmaxturbosi)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-01-2007, 12:13 PM Reply   
headlights you can do yourself. You might be stuck with the sensors saying the tire pressure is low.

where you from?
Old     (shane97210)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-01-2007, 12:24 PM Reply   
certain programmers can do it, your dealer should be able to do it with a "tech 2", or you can go by the owners manual which tells you to somehow recalibrate by putting the TPS into learn mode and going around to each tire and letting down the pressure until the computer honks at you, then go to next tire, in a certain order. check out, http://dieselplace.com/forum/index.php, ton of info over there about just GM trucks. Probably have better response than here.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-02-2007, 9:28 PM Reply   
FYI - Dealer did the tire pressure sensors for me in about 15 mins for free. They could've calibrated the spedo but only up 2 sizes (31"). Said they can only cal to the max size tire GM offers. Still looking for the adjusters for the headlights.

I love this truck.
Upload
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-02-2007, 9:32 PM Reply   
Someone needs to invest in a leaf blower.
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-02-2007, 10:02 PM Reply   
Here are some new aftermarket headlights that are adjustable.

Upload

And first for HDs..... Denali!!!
Upload
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-03-2007, 9:33 AM Reply   
to calibrate the speed back you have to buy this little programer thing that once you type in ur trucks vin number it can't be used on any other truck ever. lol stupid i know. and its like 350 bucks. i just figured out how far off mine was and knew how fast it could say on my speedo so i would be doin the speed limit.
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-03-2007, 10:11 AM Reply   
The nice advantage of recalibrating is that it corrects shift points, firmness, speed, and TC lockup point. If the tires are only off a little, its not really that big a deal but a change of 10% or more should be recalibrated. I used a Superlift TruSpeed calibrator and have been happy with the results. I was able to pick mine up off ebay for $150.
Old     (spenchey)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-03-2007, 12:14 PM Reply   
that is one sweet looking ride.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-04-2007, 8:57 PM Reply   
T-Bag I asked the delaer about that and was told all the shift points are based on engine RPMs and the tires size didn't change shift points. I've driven about 400mi since the change and haven't seen an issue with that. Everything's shifting where it did with the other tires. I may re-gear next year though as I've seen a big MPG change in stop and go/around town driving. Not so much on the freeway but still less.

Thanks Spencer!
Old     (bondo)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-04-2007, 9:17 PM Reply   
Superchips makes a programmers called flash paq and tire paq. adjust for up to 38 inch tires. Dynomite diesel.com sells these my friend Ross is the head of performance/marketing there and the are one of my sponsors. lemme know if you need anything. Steve
Upload
Upload
Old     (bondo)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-04-2007, 9:21 PM Reply   
Also, tire size may not throw the shift points out of whack. Alot of new trannys such as the allison, has speed sensors on the transmission intermediate shaft or somewhere else on the tranny,, that truck looks great. love the new front end! steve
Old     (stewart)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-05-2007, 10:34 AM Reply   
Good Looking Truck!

What brand wheels are those? They look sweet.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-05-2007, 11:43 AM Reply   
ProComp forged wheels. Pro Comp Extreme A/T tires. Fell into a deal and got the wheels @ a discount due to them not making forged anymore, plus got the tires @ buy 3 get on free sale they have 2 twice a year@ 4 wheel parts.

Took it out yesterday to the top of our local ski area (I have privleges) and got a couple pictures. Worked great and made a climb that I was told I would never make. HA! The truck is filthy but I will love evry minute cleaning it.

Thanks for the compliments.
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-05-2007, 12:09 PM Reply   
I didn't know Pro-Comp stopped making forged wheels. I wonder why?

Great looking truck!

I would be interested to hear how those Extreme A/T tires ride in comparision to a BFG AT K/O if you have compared them.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-06-2007, 10:42 AM Reply   
Just what I was told. 4 Wheel had them in a small corner of their catalog with not much info. Sales guy said they weren't making them anymore that's why they didn't advertise them in a big ad. Maybe too expensive. Seems Weld was bought by AR for the same reason.

I haven't compared them but I like the AT's overr other GoodYear's and Toyo's I've had. Not much vibrating and no annoying hummm.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-06-2007, 2:40 PM Reply   
Did you put a lift kit on it too? I just got the Chevy version of your truck a few weeks ago and have been looking at wheels and tires. I will prbly only go with a 33" tall tire though. How does it ride now that you can have suitable air pressure in the back? I run 65 lbs in the stock tires (just enough to keep the sensors from whining) and it still rides a little rougher than I would like. I do have the Z71 package on mine though, maybe that is rougher.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-06-2007, 3:32 PM Reply   
Yeah 4" rancho. It's more like a 5". Plus I had them crank the t-bars so the front was about 1/2" higher than the back. If you crank the bars and level it you should keep 33s. With the 4" 33s look stupid/small, so I got 35s.

I think your ride issue is because of the Z71. That package has firmer shocks and stiffer leafs.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-06-2007, 5:00 PM Reply   
Thanks!

What size wheels and tires are those? I know they are 35" tall but....
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-06-2007, 8:07 PM Reply   
18 x9, 0 offset, 5" backspace on the wheels. Lock to lock and no rubbing.

35 x 12.5 x 18 tires.
Old     (stewart)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-07-2007, 10:27 AM Reply   
Rather than cranking the torsion bars (which will make the truck ride rougher) you can get a ready lift kit which will level the truck and keep the torsion bar tension the same as stock. Totally inexpensive kit and takes a mechanic about an hour to install. I have one on my Chevy 3500 and it works great.

www.readylift.com
Old     (fmaxturbosi)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-07-2007, 11:34 AM Reply   
Nice truck.

I don't see a duramax badge on there, so I'm assuming you got the 6.0. Quick question tho, have you towed with it yet? How is the grade braking in tow/haul mode? Does the tranny actually downshift for you when your slowing down to help with the breaking? My friend is wondering how good the non allison tranny is.

Thx for your input.
Old     (fmaxturbosi)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-07-2007, 11:40 AM Reply   
oh yeah, in regards to the readylift comment above. Just because you have new torsion keys, doesn't mean your not cranking the torsion bars. The readylift keys just allow you to crank the bars "more."

So I don't understand stewarts comment. He still cranked his bars to lift the front so it does ruin the ride a little bit.
Old     (stewart)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-07-2007, 1:35 PM Reply   
Huh, that's not what the website says....... "keeps your factory ride guaranteed"

The ready lift keys change the angle where the torsion bars attach.

Here is the video: http://www.readylift.com/ftpdata/NewFolder/readylift.low.res.mov
Old     (fmaxturbosi)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-07-2007, 2:51 PM Reply   
I'll have to watch the video when I get home cuz I can't view it at work .

The reason why the ride get's affected is because you are changing the amount of the travel the suspension has in either direction. The suspension was designed to have a certain amount of travel in each direction. Let's say 4 inches in each direction just as an example. 4 inches up and 4 inches down. If you crank the bars 2 inches to lift the truck, you are only allowing the suspension to travel downward 2 inches now. When you crank the truck down 2 inches (lowering), you only allow for 2 inches of uptravel. So if you were to hit a dip, the suspension can only travel 2 inches before it bottoms out.

it's kinda hard to explain i guess.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-12-2007, 12:04 PM Reply   
Jason-Didn't get the Diesel. It wasn't something I needed or would pay the extra for. Plus I'd never make my money back on the investment. Diesel is way more expensive than Premium here in the NW. It just wasn't worth it for me.The 6.0 has plenty of power and torque for me.

The tranny has a tow/haul feature that works great (My Thaoe has it and I've never had a problem towing Ks of miles). It also allows me to go into manual mode and uo/down shift when I want (NICE). It will down shift by itself when in tow/haul mode also.