Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (imoore)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-18-2011, 8:17 AM Reply   
It's about time! News just broke about a cable popping up in Hood River, Oregon! Check out this recent post on Active Beaverton's Facebook page...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Active...21054801238613
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-18-2011, 8:48 AM Reply   
From the link on AWS Facebook page.

We will be holding an informal public meeting at 7pm on Thursday the 25th at the Hood River Hotel. I will be presenting the project and revealing our preliminary layout for the cable park.

I'd appreciate having nwkite attend to show its support!

*** UPDATE ***

Hello all! I’m sure some of you may have heard rumors of an upcoming cable park in the Nichols Basin. Well, the rumors are true and after months of planning I’m excited to finally announce it!

In the coming months we’ll be holding several public meetings in Hood River to gather input on the cable park and our project from the community. I hope to meet some nwkiters there. In the meantime, feel free to ask me about anything related to the Nichols Basin and the cable park.

Undoubtedly, access to the spit will be impacted briefly during construction. However I think everyone will really enjoy the improved, pedestrian-friendly streetscape and other improvements we’re making.

In short, we’re building:

- An 85+ room Hampton Inn & Suites Hotel
- A gastro-pub with a large deck overlooking the water
- A watersports retailer / pro-shop
- Office space
- The cable park

Construction will start next spring and take about 12 months to complete the project.

We’re committed to being as transparent as possible and listening to the community and other waterfront users.
Old     (thedoubleupkid)      Join Date: May 2008       08-18-2011, 9:28 AM Reply   
Notice the cable park is last.... but still I'm hoping this happens. "Gathering input" sounds like the pre-pre-pre-planning stage.
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-18-2011, 5:07 PM Reply   
Finally! Was wondering when there would be something in the pac NW considering the scene is pretty big in OR and WA. Still a 5.5 hour drive from home but worth a few weekend trips for sure!!!
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-19-2011, 8:50 AM Reply   
This is exciting. I would drive to Hood River weekly to hit that up.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-19-2011, 9:29 AM Reply   
Stuey, I'll make the roadtrip down with ya.
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-19-2011, 10:52 AM Reply   
Done... well its still gonna be summer of 2013 by the sounds of it. I'm someone has gotta be in the works for something in Washington but hasn't released anything yet. Someone should just turn Hatzik into a cable park haha..

Gonna try and make a trip to Desert Wake once their full 6 tower cable is done. Pretty cheap flights out of bellingham
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-19-2011, 11:16 AM Reply   
Stuey. Albert Dyck park in Abbotsford would be the best location. I have already figured out you could put a full cable plus a couple Sesitec 2.0's on the end or another full cable. When the Pro Tour came to BC this was the lake before it went to Kelowna. The lake is 15' or more below the surrounding land so it's protected from wind. Currently the lake is being used by the Abbotsford waterski club. They lease it from the city.
Attached Images

Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-19-2011, 4:00 PM Reply   
Sorry for the threadjack everyone.

It's not up to the local ski club. The city owns the land as it is a park currently but the club leases the lake and a small part of the property for out buildings.

Oh, and from what I have heard the ski club is fairly anti wakeboarding. More slalom, trick, and jumping.
Old     (LW)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-04-2012, 8:18 AM Reply   
Bad site, Water can change over 30 ft and can get too shallow to ride in the main part of the riding area. Club provides free wakeboarding to Disabled riders and free equipment use to kids wnating to learn at $10 a lesson. Overall it is better use for what it is now.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-04-2012, 7:55 PM Reply   
" if a cable park is not included in the development, financing for the entire project could fall through and the hotel project would not proceed on the current schedule"

http://www.hoodrivernews.com/ns/news...ser-to-reality

Hood River definitely has the right location for a cable in terms of population, interstates and climate. For evidence on maps, click below

http://wakenewsonly.blogspot.com/201...n-america.html