Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (midwest_riders)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-25-2009, 9:04 PM Reply   
I am looking at a 2004 Mastercraft X-Star. I am curious to know if there has been any changes to the hill over the years or if the new ones are running with the same specs as this one? The one I am looking at has had the engine replaced with a rebuilt. The new engine has minimal hours on it and the hull has over 600 hrs. Is there anything that I should be affraid of with this purchase? Thanks in advance.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-25-2009, 9:59 PM Reply   
I think that is the current X2 hull, Xstar changed in 05 IIRC. Shouldn't be a problem with a new motor as long as it's ready to go (been run in, has new warranty.)
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-26-2009, 12:23 AM Reply   
The 2004 Xstar was the first year for the pickle fork (current design) There were a couple of late model year 03's but 04 for the most part was when the curent pickle fork came into production.

The rudder has since been upgraded which was a huge problem that was corrected. Other than that the boat just gets some new "bling" each year.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-26-2009, 1:16 PM Reply   
An 04 is the same hull as the current model Stars. The X2 pickle fork boats are a completely different hull design.
The biggest difference in an 04 to current is the tower. An 04 has the rear legs that have cut outs in them and are harder to break down than current towers. Other than that it is the same weight loving hull.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-26-2009, 2:00 PM Reply   
The rudder may be different and it may not turn as well because of this.
Old     (jsxstar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-26-2009, 2:24 PM Reply   
Out of curiousity, what color is the x-star you are looking at?
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       08-26-2009, 6:03 PM Reply   
yeah, same boat as the new one. As mentioned above, the picklefork xstar came out in late 03, so you still see some of those popping around town. rudder change and more bling. Same boat though. Should be ok if the engine was done by a dealer and is still under warranty.
Old     (midwest_riders)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-26-2009, 6:48 PM Reply   
Thanks for the information guys. Can the rudder be upgraded to the new one? Also curious to know what it would take to get swivel board racks? Would I need to get a whole new tower to get the new swivel mastercraft racks or could the racks themselves be implemented somehow? JS, why do you ask about the color? Is there something I should know that you know about one? THanks again
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       08-26-2009, 6:54 PM Reply   
Yes, the rudder can be upgraded.
Old     (midwest_riders)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-26-2009, 6:58 PM Reply   
What would that run?
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       08-27-2009, 3:48 PM Reply   
yeah, rudder upgrade, not much if it wasn't already done by warranty long ago. To get swivel racks, you'd have to get a new tower. You could've got the 05 rear mounts if they still made them, but the new rear tower legs won't meet up with the old front legs. Don't worry about it though, that's not a big deal at all.
Old     (midwest_riders)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-27-2009, 8:26 PM Reply   
I will have to check to see if it has been upgraded. Who would I contact about getting the 05 back legs for the tower? Would dealers have them or would I need to contact Mastercraft directly? The only thing that I would like about the swivel racks, besides not having to lean outside the boat to put the boards in, is that it would make getting into my lift a lot easier.
Old     (midwest_riders)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-28-2009, 9:52 AM Reply   
Anyone know where I could get the back legs from the 05 series to get swivel racks?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-28-2009, 11:36 AM Reply   
Hmmm...I thought there was a minor hull modification around 05/06. No?

Which engine?
Old     (midwest_riders)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-29-2009, 1:24 PM Reply   
Does anyone know about this change or was there not one?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-29-2009, 1:31 PM Reply   
I was 99% sure there has been no change from late 03 till now.
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-29-2009, 1:39 PM Reply   
No change as far as the hull goes. Interior material, audio gear, and instruments have evolved though.
Old     (midwest_riders)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-29-2009, 2:34 PM Reply   
So the wake making ability is the same as today then, huh.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-29-2009, 2:49 PM Reply   
I work at a mastercraft dealer and they Have not made huge changes but they have tweaked the hull a little im not sure exactly what they did or what year but i know they have changed it a little over the years nothing majour though.
Old     (midwest_riders)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-29-2009, 2:54 PM Reply   
How is the ballast configuration and weight different?
Old     (midwest_riders)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-29-2009, 7:16 PM Reply   
Does anyone have an 04 x-star that they increased the ballast and made it autpmated?
Old     (zoodsmak)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-29-2009, 9:10 PM Reply   
Take a look at this setup. It's all automated and all under the seats/ cushions. From the guys that make Fat Sacs. I work at an MC dealer in Michigan and we install this in X-stars from time to time. Pretty sure the install on this is the same as an 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 2010. I don't work in the service department but if you call an MC dealership and talk to their service guy they'd probably be somewhat familiar with it.

scroll down a ways to MC Xstar Aditional Ballast
http://fatsac.com/FlyHigh/FlyHighSacs.html
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-30-2009, 5:43 AM Reply   
I have an 04 x-star w that setup. works great. wish i did it sooner..
Old     (midwest_riders)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-30-2009, 5:52 AM Reply   
How much weight does the factory ballast have on the 04? The 2500 is on top of that yet or is that the total with the factory ballast?
Old     (zoodsmak)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-30-2009, 2:49 PM Reply   
I believe that is all on top of the factory ballast. That wake is Money...

roughly 1000 lbs is standard factory.

you can just fill them up half way for the little kiddies or beginners to get comfortable on!

of course you might want to prop the boat down if your going to run that much all the time!
Old     (midwest_riders)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-31-2009, 9:57 AM Reply   
How much storage area is left in the compartments where the new sacs would be added?
Old     (zoodsmak)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-31-2009, 12:54 PM Reply   
enough for a couple vests and ropes... plus you have the storage under the observer seat which is pretty big and the wrap around seating.

throw your boards and stuff in the back compartments to get to the lake, take them out put them in the racks, then fill sacs...

once your done you empty the sacs, take the boards out of the racks and your good to go.
Old     (midwest_riders)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-31-2009, 7:07 PM Reply   
Is the factory ballast under the floor then?
Old     (masonmeuth)      Join Date: May 2009       08-31-2009, 8:08 PM Reply   
pretty sure they made that boat in 03 as well blew my knee on one at a contest in june 2003. Pretty vivid memory.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-01-2009, 7:32 AM Reply   
the ballast is going to be underneath the rear storage on both sides of the engine and underneath the floor below the walkway. If you put the extra kit on there you would be placing it on top of the rear tanks (engine compartments) and then under the front seats on each side. You can get a little better idea of what the kit costs and how it is installed here - http://www.waterskis.com/Custom-X-Star-Ballast-Upgrade-p/custom_x-star_ballast_upgrade.htm. This thing is well worth the money...

If you have more questions on this ballast kit let me know we do a lot of them.

John
John@waterskis.com
Old     (nbigger)      Join Date: May 2008       09-01-2009, 9:45 AM Reply   
I have been behind a 09 X-Star with this ballast and could not believe the change. I had to do a gut check before I launched myself off of it. It is a great system and the best wake I have ever seen. Also the boats have a tone of storage and you won't miss the space once you see how nice it makes the wake. You may need a new prop though.

(Message edited by nbigger on September 01, 2009)
Old     (midwest_riders)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-01-2009, 10:03 AM Reply   
John thanks for the input and links. I will have to purchase the boat first, but will definitely make the upgrade once that is finished. Do you have any suggestions on having a boat with 650 hrs on the hull and a rebuilt engine? Any worries that I should be concerned with?
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-01-2009, 10:10 AM Reply   
I would call the shop that did the rebuild on the engine. You should be able to get a decent idea of what they are like on the phone. A rebuild is not the craziest thing (we do a couple a year in MN) so as long as they know what they are doing then you should have no issues what soever.

The hours on that boat pretty normal. think of it this way, scheduled oil changes are supposed to be around 50 hours according to MasterCraft. So if we think of that like 3000 miles on a car or truck then that boat has around 39000 miles on it. Not bad at all. Hours are also a little more subjective. If somebody does the scheduled maintenance then most boats will go well over 1500 hours with no major issues (i.e. tuneups, fuel pump replacement, filter replacements, ect.). To give you an idea most of our customers put around 50 80 hours a year on their boats.
With that in mind you should be able to get many seasons of good riding worry free.

I hope this helps.
John@waterskis.com

(Message edited by mnwakerider on September 01, 2009)
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       09-01-2009, 10:39 AM Reply   
To make a correction....zero hull changes since 03. Good sidenote...riders choice wakeboard boat of the year since its inception in...03...still going.
Old     (gotwake124)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-01-2009, 1:44 PM Reply   
J-rod,
I think ive heard something about minor hull changes as well around that time. My friend has an 05 or 06 (cant remember) but the wake is distinctly different than my shop's 08 xstar. the 08 has seems to be a little steeper with more of a lip on it than my friends older x star and its wake also gets bigger with less weight...an yes theyre weighted the same way with the flyhigh system
Old     (midwest_riders)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-01-2009, 1:58 PM Reply   
John, it is nice to hear from a person who has been around these boats and has seen many of them in the shop to give an accurate description of what to look for.
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-01-2009, 3:20 PM Reply   
Has the hull really had minor changes? I'd be surprised, because I thought such changes would require a new mold, which would be very expensive. Boat manufacturers need to get as many years as possible out of mold to amortize its expense.
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-01-2009, 3:26 PM Reply   
No hull changes that I know of but prop, rudder, engine and tower have changed. That being said I have a favorite X-Star, not sure what it was but this one was simply the best I've driven and ridden!
Upload
Old     (midwest_riders)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-01-2009, 5:35 PM Reply   
That does look like a pretty sweet ride!!
Old     (midwest_riders)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-05-2009, 8:33 PM Reply   
I am pretty close to getting a deal done.
Old     (masonmeuth)      Join Date: May 2009       09-06-2009, 2:23 AM Reply   
Be warned they are a gas hog compared to other boats! But overall the wake and the interior are def one of the best.
Old     (midwest_riders)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-06-2009, 7:17 AM Reply   
I am assuming that depends on the motor that is in it or not? I am sure the big block will take more fuel, right? Thanks for the heads up.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       09-06-2009, 11:45 AM Reply   
They are big boats and most run a lot of ballast. You'll suck fuel with any engine.
Old     (midwest_riders)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-06-2009, 12:18 PM Reply   
I am assuming that the smaller engine, regardless of ballast or not, would run with a little less fuel or not?
Old     (masonmeuth)      Join Date: May 2009       09-06-2009, 12:57 PM Reply   
The xtar hull just is not as efficient as alot of other wakeboat hulls... I have a rode in an xstar with the 6.0 and a nautique with the same motor and the xstar could only pull about 6-8 sets depending on how long the rider rode and the bigger nautique could pull about 9-12 sets depending... and he nautique was even a foot longer boat. both had about 3500 lbs i think the nautique may have had even more. I liked both the wakes ALOT the xstar was a little rampier the natique 230 a little steeper. But ever since that boat has came out mastercraft hasnt changed anything except the rubber and other small changes, y would they? im pretty sure they sell more boats than most the other companies... But if u arent worried about gas consumption the xtar is one of the most buildable wakes out there... they can get scary big! I would ride inone and a weighted one just so u can get an idea, hope that helps.
Old     (masonmeuth)      Join Date: May 2009       09-06-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
*rudder not rubber haah
Old     (masonmeuth)      Join Date: May 2009       09-06-2009, 1:01 PM Reply   
there is a 2008 natiuque 230 on onlyinboards right now for 53,000! has 16 hours.I would def get that! the xstar im guessing is prolly in a similar range and has 600 hours. imo.
Old     (midwest_riders)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-06-2009, 8:30 PM Reply   
You would take that over the x-star?
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-06-2009, 10:05 PM Reply   
I would take the Nautique 230 over the X-Star. Easy decision. I've spent time inside both in the last month (w/our riding). The 230 feel enormous inside. The X-Star doesn't feel that big to me at all... at least not as big as a 22'3" boat should feel.

I'm sure both make a nice wake. But I'd go with the 230 for the size alone. Plus they look hawt. Here is the one I checked out this past week. It's for sale here in Portland. It's a demo with 29 hours on it.

Upload
Old     (masonmeuth)      Join Date: May 2009       09-06-2009, 10:45 PM Reply   
Personally yea id go with a 230 def. but im def not hating on the xtar they are a sick sick boat. But last time i rode my friends 230 it was the biggest most rediculous wake i have ever rode in my life w/ 3500 lbs and 7 people. I over rotated my backroll so much i landed on my head.
Old     (masonmeuth)      Join Date: May 2009       09-06-2009, 10:56 PM Reply   
I know I keep posting but i keep forgetting stuff to add... basically the wakes are like this

Xstar-Huge very rampy suuuuuper long transition sends u up and out to the flats, Such a long transition that i kept leaving early but when i didnt it sent me soaring. I rode 75 foot at 23.5. I would say it felt like i rode up a huge ramp and shot off of it.
230- Wake is massively big pretty steep but an awesome transition, wakes kinda narrow which is cool u can ride a longer length. The pop is insane tho it kicks u straight up and it feels like u have a ton of hangtime. i threw my inverts about 1/4 as hard as behind our supra and was still over rotating alot... it feels like u jjust drift into the wake and it just shoots u straight up like a trampoline
btw i just checked that 230 sold. knew it wouldnt last long. hope that helps
Old     (midwest_riders)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-07-2009, 8:17 PM Reply   
So the question becomes, is the SAN or x-star wake better? Any thoughts?
Old     (bhog)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-08-2009, 2:49 PM Reply   
Thats up to you Midwest Riders. Do you like rampy or do you like steep? Both boats are sick. The 230 is a lot newer. I havent ridden behind the 230 but heard it is a very sweet wake. However you will be happy with both wakes.
Old     (masonmeuth)      Join Date: May 2009       09-08-2009, 10:53 PM Reply   
I agree with britt just depends. The 230 is a little steeper than the mastercraft but not as steep as the super air 210. It also has a roomier interior, though the mastercraft is more plush. I personally like the 230 wake a little bit better (not alot the xtar is still sick!) but if i were u and i was thinking about spending 50k on a wakeboat i would try to ride in both first!
Old     (nbigger)      Join Date: May 2008       09-09-2009, 7:49 AM Reply   
was there any weight in the X-Star? I am a huge nautique fan but I have been behind a X-Star with the PWT flyhigh ballast and it is the best wake I have ever been on (never been on a 230) The wake would send you straight up and it was like you were just floating. When you take it out into the flats which you had to try to do I thought I was going to blow a knee out. I would love to demo a 230 but untill I get a chance to ride behind one I have to say the X-star loaded down with weight is sweet. Demo both and bring some weight.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-09-2009, 7:54 AM Reply   
Nick, I drove for the guys at No Style Productions and they have their Star with the PWT kit and two 750s on the floor. I rode at the end of the day, 80 feet and 26.5 mph. It was absolutely nuts! And I did take some stuff into the flats and I did blow my knee. Doctor said that there was tearing but not enough to need surgery (thank god). A piged out Star is nuts...
Old     (masonmeuth)      Join Date: May 2009       09-09-2009, 11:23 AM Reply   
Yes the x-star had a flyhigh pwt system and about 9 people it was massive and very sick... I still liked the 230 wake just a little better and it was alot better on gas consumption. They were both very close in size tho only the shape was different. Comes down to preference and i would go with the 230 if i had the money. Also my experience w/ two blown acls and torn cartilidge is that landing with the nose of the board first is what causes knee injuriues, the board stops all your weight keeps going forward. My knees actually feel better on bigger wakes because i trow my tricks loftier and not as fast.... hard to explain makes since to me.... again just my opinion. But yea landing in the flats from a pwt ballast xstar will jar u pretty hard haha
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       09-10-2009, 7:07 PM Reply   
X-star all day long...few reasons. 1, you've already been looking at it and are/were close to a deal which means you really like the boat.
2, like it or not, support other brands or not...it is the wakeworld riders choice boat since it came out. so I'd say wake is not a question.
3, resale. sure with both you will lose some regardless right away, however, because of the popularity of the x-star, you might find that you have a larger buying market down the road when you go to sell it. I'd guess more so than other models.
4. did I forget to mention that it sounds like you already really like it.

thats just my $.02 for what thats worth.
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-10-2009, 7:40 PM Reply   
whats the bimini on that San 230 ??
Old     (masonmeuth)      Join Date: May 2009       09-11-2009, 10:36 AM Reply   
hey midwest riders im going out on a sacked out 230 sat ill take a pic of the wake for you
Old     (midwest_riders)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-11-2009, 2:51 PM Reply   
Mark-you make a few good points. I am leaning toward the x-star, but wanted to hear the debate about why nautique might be better. Do you think the market would be higher beings it already has over 600 hrs on it?

Mason-that would be great if you could shoot some pictures of your wake with the 230. It would help define the explanations a little more thoroughly. Thanks
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-13-2009, 2:09 AM Reply   
Simply based on the hours I would get the 230. Chances are that X-star has had some weight in it and has been properly used. I have rode in the 230 and the wakes are really really nice and they can get super big. Now, I own an Xstar and love the thing, but the naughty is much bigger inside and more comfortable..IMO. The Xstar however, turns heads and to me is drop dead gorgeous.

Looking on the bright side....many would kill to be in your shoes having to choose between two of the greatest wake machines of all time. Best of luck.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-13-2009, 6:39 AM Reply   
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily those of the wakeworld community at large and are not meant to "piss off" all of the MC owners out there. They are simply my experiences and opinions.

I had an X-star ('08) and I got rid of it for a Nautique for these reasons:

1) Fuel hog...hated filling it up 3 times a week. Obviously this depends on how much you ride. I didn't ride a lot, but after 4-6 hours of riding loaded down I went through half to 3/4 of a tank. BTW..no power turning, if you were wondering, and 2-3 dudes in the boat + rider.

2) IMHO, Indmar doesn't build as good of an engine as PCM. MC's tend to have a history of fuel pump issues. Plus, PCM builds their own trannies to match their engines. Indmar outsources it's trannies to Walter's and ZF Hurth. Hurth is pretty damn good I will say, but still "clunky". I can hardly tell when my PCM is in gear...no "clunking" in to gear.

3) The X-Star drives like a pig loaded down, factory ballast + PWT ballast.

4) Nautique has a better warranty.

All this being said MC's build quality I found to be very good. No gel coat or upholstery problems for me. In fairness, I did not put a lot of hours on the Boat before I sold it. Honestly you can't go wrong with either wake (however, they are different)....the best two in the biz.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-13-2009, 8:45 AM Reply   
I love my mastercraft because its my boat... an i payed a alot for it... So with the post above from AMO he isnt lying... Going to Forward to neutral every-now and then you do get a big clunk.... However the x-star does drive like a tank when loaded down doesnt every boat though.... my x-2 has about 4k in it.... it drives like a tank to... SO WOULD ANY OTHER BOAT WHEN YOU SLAM IT! I also love trying to ride be hind lots of other boats yes Nautique has a great wake so does a ton of other boats... However I have heard that Nautique has had some Gel coat problems and Perfect pass problems... Yes i have burned out a fuel pump in my x-2 but at the end of the day my wake is sick.. MY JL Audio SYSTEM is insame... People love the pickle fork.. There is way more room in the Star or the 2 anyday then a SAN and my boat doesnt look like a bath tub!
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-13-2009, 10:21 AM Reply   
AMO, for what it's worth, I believe Nautique switched to Walter v-drive a few years ago, and the props are now LH like other boats, including MC.

No clunking in my MC; it's completely smooth engaging gear.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-13-2009, 11:57 AM Reply   
I'd like to see proof of that eagle.

I knew the MC dudes would get defensive. You pay a lot of money for something, I can understand. You guys have your reasons for keeping your MC's and I have mine for selling the X-star. Not trying to start one of "those" threads. They are both great boats and offer different things for different people depending on what you are looking for.

I have zero loyalty to any company. Whoever makes the best wake boat for MY needs, wins. Period. Nautique is in my driveway for the time being. If they slip, I'll reconsider when it comes time to purchase another boat.
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-13-2009, 12:31 PM Reply   
A few years ago (07?) Nautique switched the v-drive unit to a LH rotation vs. the previous RH. The DD's remain RH. I thought it was to a Walter unit but could be mistaken. Does your 230 back to the left or the right? If the right, then it's a LH prop, like the MC (and other v-drives).

Also, my MC doesn't clunk.

I didn't say MC's were better or worse.

If you like your 230 better than your X-Star, hey, that's great -- it doesn't either add to or detract from my own enjoyment of my MC.

I don't get into "which brand is better" debates. Whatever you prefer is fine with me.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-13-2009, 1:53 PM Reply   
I have a '09 210, but been in the 230. Eagle, just because the boat backs up to the right (has LH prop) doesn't mean that Nautique uses a Walter's or non PCM tramsmission. I feel pretty confident that my dealer would answer the transmission question truthfully.

I liked my X-Star just fine, great boat, but not exactly what I wanted. I thought I wanted it, but came to find out it wasn't for me.
Old     (sandm)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-14-2009, 6:10 PM Reply   
wonder if it's this one he's looking at.
been watching it for a month now and looks to be a good deal, but must be something wrong for it not to have sold yet.. it's a few miles away and been tempted to go look, but don't want to waste the guys time..

http://boise.craigslist.org/boa/1373942420.html
Old     (midwest_riders)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-14-2009, 7:56 PM Reply   
Guys thanks for the input on the two boats. I did not mean for it to create any hostile feelings one or the other over either boats. Was just looking for input, which I appreciated.

mason meuth did you happen to take some photos of your 230 wake?

Scott, unfortunately that is not the one that I was looking at. It looks like a pretty decent boat though.

To change the discussion a little, what do you think of a replaced motor and having over 600hrs on the hull? Would you shy away from it or would you be confident in the Mastercraft build and not worry about it?

Thanks again.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-14-2009, 8:51 PM Reply   
your looking at the 2 best boats out there imo.

I went with a 230 (236 actually, but its the same boat, different name).

230's wake is in a different league. its unlike anything I have ever ridden, and I dont want to ride anything else anymore. I run around 2500lbs total, same as I did in my 00xstar. the wake kicks like a mule and sends you straight vertical. I have more hang time with less effort than anything else. only an old 210 come close, but a 210 just wont get as big.

She gets on plane in a heartbeat and is very fuel efficient. And with 6 rear facing seats, and a mad surf wake, its just a killer boat all around.

I do like mc's vinyl better tho, but wake, size, comfort, and amenities sold me on the 236.

heres mine
Upload
Old     (deminimis)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-15-2009, 12:40 PM Reply   
MC's vinyl in 2004 was/is complete garbage. I know, that's what I have. with about 400 hrs. Its a common complaint. They had a few years of bad vinyl, but the problem (supplier) has changed now. Keep that in mind. That's pretty much my only complaint though. Fuel doesn't seem that big an issue, although its not miserly by any standard.

What, exactly was the rudder upgrade? Me wants.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-15-2009, 1:52 PM Reply   
I would take a 230 over an X-Star all day, but I am a little bias.
Both are great boats, but the 230 is the best of the best IMO.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-16-2009, 8:47 AM Reply   
Xstar.......you won't be sorry. Plenty of room and storage. And any boat is going to be a gas hog if you load it down (other than maybe the Epic Hybrid), it's just part of the game.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-16-2009, 1:12 PM Reply   
Thats just not true. For the same sized wake the x-star uses pretty much double in gas what our boat does. No exaggeration, double. No doubt the boat and wake is sick but you pay the piper big time.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-16-2009, 1:16 PM Reply   
PCM makes the best marine engines, to bad people don't research this aspect of boat buying more.
Old     (nauti4life)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-16-2009, 1:24 PM Reply   
^^^^^tru dat!!
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-16-2009, 1:43 PM Reply   
When Tige moved to PCM, I spoke with a few dealers and they were raving about how quiet and smooth the new '09's are. Its called PCM boys.

But seriously, how many people bought a Nautique over a MC because of the engine?

However, how many people with Nautiques won't or can't move to MC or 'Bu because of the annoying engine vibration/sound? I know it drives me nuts.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-16-2009, 2:26 PM Reply   
I did Alan. The engine was the main reason I went from MC to Nautique. No comparison now that I have owned both Indmar and PCM. PCM is much better IMO. Especially their CAT engine.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-16-2009, 6:52 PM Reply   
I have a PCM 343 in my '09 MB. This is my first boat, so I didn't think it was anything special... until two things happened:

1) My buddy came on my boat and couldn't stop raving about how quiet the engine was. He swears that while riding he can hear my two tower speakers better than his four... oh yeah, he has a Mercruiser Scorpion 330 in his boat.

2) I spent a day on another guy's '09 MasterCraft X-2 with Indmar MCX. Holly Cow that thing was loud compared to my PCM! Also, I drove some that day and noticed a lot more transmission noise when going in and out of gear.

I guess I'm spoiled with the PCM. It is just silky smooth and whisper quiet. Kind of like comparing the how refined a BMW 335i feals compared to Ford Mustang GT. Both are 300HP but the BMW makes it seem easy... the Mustang constantly lets you know how hard it's working.