Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (sidetracked3)      Join Date: Jun 2009       01-31-2011, 12:08 PM Reply   
I am still somewhat new to wakeboarding and still having problems. I have been trying for the past 2 years. I did not get to practice to much last year but kind of got in to wake surfing instead. I can get up find and cross the wake fine but when I try to jump the wake I tend to keep getting pulled forward. I am not sure if I am hitting the wake wrong or what. I try to lean back when I hit but the rope usually pulls me forward. Any advice?
Old    Ron1xNautique            01-31-2011, 4:17 PM Reply   
If you were able to post a video of your attempts there are plenty of people on here who could probably tell you exactly how to improve upon what your doing or let you know if there is something you should work on or change, but for the sake of getting you a more immediate answer: When I was learning how to jump w2w I'm sure my major downfall was my approach(edging into the wake) I didn't edge out on my toeside far enough and would then edge as hard as I could towards the wake resulting in to much line tension or not enough which either cause me to not stick the landing by throwing off my balance or just made me fall on my face, also I would crouch and kind of ollie off the wake which didn't do me any good either. So that's an example of what you shouldn't be doing. I would say focus on edging out as far as you can, then when the board flattens out under your feet and you feel the pull of the boat and the line stay consistent slowly start to edge in on your heels, you want to increase the amount you edge as you get closer to the wake and maintain an edge all the way through it with your knees slightly bent, resist at the wake and keep your chest up.

Not sure if this will help but I have a couple videos on youtube of me right after I learned how to jump w2w http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BLq2rGrvSE (don't crouch like I do though it's a bad habit of mine you can see in my second video my body position is better but still not perfect) Hope this helps sooner or later it will click and you'll be on to learning something new, Good Luck!
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-31-2011, 4:18 PM Reply   
Keep the handle glued to your hip on the approach, you won't get pulled out the front.
Old     (sidetracked3)      Join Date: Jun 2009       02-01-2011, 7:08 AM Reply   
I will try and get some video this year when we start. I do hold the handle out from my body so that might be one thing I need to change. I just tend to lose my balance once I hit the wake. I will check out that video too. I am just trying to get some tips before the season starts so I can try them out. Thanks for the info guys.
Old    Ron1xNautique            02-01-2011, 8:09 AM Reply   
Keeping the handle at your hip is going to give you the best form and pivot point but for me being in construction, athletic, and getting quite a bit of riding in my first year of wakeboarding I struggle to keep the handle there, easier said then done until you build the strength in that specific area but something to think about also is as soon as you get past clearing the wakes alot of the tricks you will learn are going to be based off you only having 2 hands on the handle as you hit the wake and not after..
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-01-2011, 5:38 PM Reply   
You are using a non-stretch rope right?
Old     (JDubs)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-01-2011, 7:42 PM Reply   
Heath. Hit me up when you start riding again. I think I can help with that. You can come in to Cullman and ride at my spot or I'll come down there. Need to check out the Wake the World location anyway. Me and a buddy rode last sat. Wish I would have known and I would have invited you. You have my number.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-01-2011, 7:54 PM Reply   
all i can add besides the great advice already given is to check this video. it is great!
http://www.wakeworld.com/news/featur...ariations.html
Old    Ron1xNautique            02-01-2011, 10:29 PM Reply   
Great Video, Just made me realize how poor my body position is