Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-13-2008, 2:13 PM Reply   
I am looking for a new board for next year and was wondering what I should get. What I want is something that has a lot of pop and soft landings.

So far I am thinking either the Marek, Lyman, or maybe a Company board.
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-13-2008, 2:24 PM Reply   
Depends on your riding style. If you want a good wake to wake board the marek, the watson, or the ronix one would definitely be good boards. If you like big moves into the flats the lyman is the one to get, no question. (also the gator legend is good)
I dont really have an opinion on a company board because i havent ridden one, but i heard it was a slingshot board with different graphics, so check out the slingshot boards to get an opinion on company.
I ride a ronix covin and that is an awesome board for wake to wake or to go into the flats so that might also be one to consider.
But everyone has different ways of riding style and different likes and dislikes so just demo some boards if you can and decide based on experience.
Old     (bizz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-13-2008, 2:30 PM Reply   
If you want a new ride that will double your love of wakeboarding Buy a Company. A company is definatly not a slingshot with different graphics.
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-13-2008, 2:33 PM Reply   
i havent tried it but thats just what i heard BIZZ
im not meaning that as a bad thing slingshot boards are pretty sick
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-13-2008, 2:33 PM Reply   
Bizz, have you ridden a Company board ?
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-13-2008, 2:40 PM Reply   
i'm pretty sure he's riding for them
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-13-2008, 2:41 PM Reply   
Nick
Jaret is definately riding for COMANY Wake
Old     (bizz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-13-2008, 2:43 PM Reply   
I have ridden all of the boards...Helped test and design them. You need to try one for yourself. For me it has re-newed my love in the sport of wakeboarding. Opening up possibilities of new tricks soft landings and when you load the tail (like you would on a snowboard) the pop is amazing. Super fun.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-13-2008, 2:44 PM Reply   
Yea I see now.
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-13-2008, 2:47 PM Reply   
I definitely want to try one Bizz...i just heard what i said from chad lowe, but he rides for LF so i guess he could be biased.
I definitely wanna try out the whole flex thing that company has going.
You should definitely hook me up with a demo haha
Old     (bizz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-13-2008, 2:50 PM Reply   
Company will be doing demo's in California and I want to get as many people on them as possible. Decide for yourself. Just telling you my opinion. And I rode for LF for about 7 years. So did Greg Necrason and Tino Santori.
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-13-2008, 2:51 PM Reply   
oh man california..if you send one over to florida ill definitely get as many people as i can on it!
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-13-2008, 2:56 PM Reply   
Yea, California is a pretty long ways away from Maryland.
Old     (bizz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-13-2008, 2:56 PM Reply   
There will be boards in Florida also...
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-13-2008, 2:57 PM Reply   
cant wait for the demos jaret
definately will be at em will prolly hear bout em from scott so ill def be there with him
Old     (martinique)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-13-2008, 3:03 PM Reply   
so bizz....how do we get a company board? I have not seen them in any shop
Old     (bizz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-13-2008, 3:18 PM Reply   
The brand launch was at surf expo in September. Currently we are going through the interested dealers and collecting orders for product. You will definatly see boards in stores by boat show time if not before. Looking forward to everyone getting on boards so they can give feedback.
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-13-2008, 3:26 PM Reply   
Check out the new Slingshot Reflex when it lands, Nick. Definitely a sick board!
Old     (kylepower8)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-13-2008, 7:14 PM Reply   
I have the ronix one, and just got the marek. And personally i prefer the marek. It gets way more pop and the landings are way softer. It also transitions from edge to edge faster, and it has a looser feel on the water. Just my two cents
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-13-2008, 10:45 PM Reply   
Flex boards all the way!
Old     (hyule)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-14-2008, 5:46 AM Reply   
Are Ronix bottom shapes legit for landings? I'm intrigued because of who shapes them, their simplicity, and the fact that Ronix claims they land with more forward momentum thus not requiring complicated bottoms.

But...I have to wonder to what extent this is true. I definitely want a board that isnt sluggish on a landing and carries through with momentum. But, flex, concave hulls and so on seem to go against the simplicity in Ronix's design...

Enlighten me...
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-14-2008, 11:13 AM Reply   
Right now I am riding the Ronix Vault which has a flat bottom, and the landings are really bad considering the boards like the sub6
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-14-2008, 1:23 PM Reply   
Every company out there is gona root for THEIR ideas.

Obrien stands firm by the delta bottom design for increased speed

Flex board companies (ie slingshot) stands by flex for soft landings and a responsive, loadable pop

ronix with clean bottoms with no dissruption

etc etc etc.

Some boards are getting deeper and bigger spines (ex. CWB 2009 transcend) and some have none (ronix)

gota remember that all of these are gona have some truth to them and some of it will be plain and simple advertisement to convince you of their vote.

the degree of TRUTH is what you feel when you demo/ ride it. I for one am convinced by the flex, be it by advertisement and by my riding experience, others feel opposite.

-----------------------------------------------------
now with that HUGE statement said, i have not ridden ronix or obriens chevron/ delta bottom boards.

if your style consists of lots of speed carrying you into the flats, than i might agree (to an extent) on ronix claims (for continuous rocker only) otherwise I PERSONALLY IN MY OPINION think center spines and flex would be softer.

USUALLY the trends are the most "True" but not always. look at closed toe boots. it was not accepted at first, now it is a trend. will clean bottoms be a trend in the future. it cant be said at this point.

demo if you can
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-14-2008, 1:41 PM Reply   
... thinking a li'l more on this.

i suppose a smooth clean bottom would maintain momentum best. But i cant drop the belief that a center spine wouldn't break up the water better on impact. and flex, well flex is like a spring of course for softer landings (especially when tail heavy on landing)

i imagine that spines and flex could be "slower" on landing. but what has more impact on the body, the loss in momentum (spines and flex) or a harder landing (ronix). i imagine a clean bottom (with no flex) to be harder simply because i immagine a louder sound when it hits the water vs. the same design with a spine, and because i feel the spined boards do indeed land softer... but i am not speeding through the air into the flats either

Again, these are just my random musings...
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-14-2008, 1:49 PM Reply   
Yea when I land in the flats you can hear the loud smack from the flat bottom .
Old     (hyule)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-14-2008, 3:12 PM Reply   
Right on point, Byrom.

I cant help but think of all the other designs out there when looking at the simple bottom of a Ronix board. And, from what I've heard, they do not land soft. Personally, that's a crucial element.

Any Ronix soldiers out there?
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-14-2008, 3:53 PM Reply   
BUY THE LYMAN
its amazing. major pop. supper soft landing. huge ollie power. you will love it.
its also loose as hell
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-14-2008, 4:32 PM Reply   
Yea Johan thats exactly what I feel like. The Ronix Vault is a pretty good board with good pop and good riding overall but the landings just aren't like they are on other boards.

and David when you say loose as hell you mean like the tracking?

I rode the sub IV and it was good but so light I felt like it was just squirelly whenever I hit a little wave or what not, is that what the Lyman is like or no ?
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-15-2008, 6:05 PM Reply   
....?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-15-2008, 11:03 PM Reply   
sorry nick for the tangents.

overall there are not gona be too many comments on comparing these boards.
Lyman is fairly new
Marek is newer and fairly pricy too
Company has not really hit shelves yet.

from a General point of view (or what i think would be a general public view would be) i would rank the boards (listing only the three you are looking at) in this order

1. lyman
2. company
3. marek

But personally, FROM the three you listed i'd go with company, because i think Flex is the bee's knees... speaking from my experiences with slingshot. once you ride flex you may never go back.

(Message edited by wakerider111 on October 15, 2008)