Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-01-2013, 7:52 AM Reply   
I have 125 hours on my impeller this season, we have another month of weather available... probably 10 more hours of use. Should I swap out a new impeller now or just wait until spring? I know Indmar recommends every 100 hours. I always install a new one every spring.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-01-2013, 8:15 AM Reply   
I think you should be fine waiting till spring as long as the boat is cooling and temp is running where it usually does.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       09-01-2013, 5:55 PM Reply   
I would just wait on it till spring if I were Travis.
Old     (robertstone9)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-01-2013, 7:05 PM Reply   
spring
i would already have my replacement in the boat (spare)
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-01-2013, 9:56 PM Reply   
I always do an annual impeller change in the spring regardless of hours, I just realized yesterday that the Indmar manual is stating every 100 hours of use. I typically run 120-140 hours a season and never have had any impeller failures with annual replacement. The boat is running great,160-165 degrees. Thanks for the feedback, I will just leave it be until next spring.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-01-2013, 10:33 PM Reply   
I have a lot more than 135 hours on my impeller. Now, it sits in the water for a couple months and then is dry for ten months and the water is fairly soft. Perhaps that helps mine last as it seldom has to start up when dry. Anyway I would not worry but I would watch the temperature gauge for any indication of a problem starting.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       09-02-2013, 6:42 AM Reply   
Just wait.... Impellers fail from lack of use... When the bent over blade sits in that cavity for weeks without rotation... Your good... I put on close to 200 hours a year and change mine once a year..
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-02-2013, 1:14 PM Reply   
^^^ That's what I was thinking, its not really hour based, more of time duration sitting in the impeller housing. You figure most people average 40-50 hours a year on there boats. Every two season that would be close to 100 hours of use. My dealer recommends an impeller change every other year, for the $35 part I figure for peace of mind it is cheap insurance to just put a new one in. I know there are some people who put a new impeller in during winterization, my thought is it sits in the housing all winter squished down, possibly weakening it, this is the reason I do it in the spring. Knock on wood, five years of boat ownership and never have had one impeller fail.
Old     (jpaul)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-02-2013, 2:54 PM Reply   
Leave it...i do mine every two years, almost 200 hrs worth but i also always keep a back up and tools on the boat.
Old     (Ski_Antique)      Join Date: May 2013       09-02-2013, 3:08 PM Reply   
You can always pull the impeller and take a look at it. On inboards, it's usually three bolts and it's out. Check for wear. If it looks a little deformed that's ok, but if there are cracks, big wear marks, or chunks missing, you'll need another one if you want piece of mind for any period of time. Otherwise, change it out in the spring right before you hit the lake.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       09-02-2013, 7:37 PM Reply   
I'm not suggesting anyone do this, but when I bought my Sunsetter, it was17 years old with 350 hrs. You could tell the impeller had never been replaced because the bolts on the housing were all still covered with the original paint.