Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (whelchel86)      Join Date: Jan 2011       06-21-2012, 9:24 PM Reply   
I am building a ported box for a single 12w3 to go in the Drivers's footwell area in my 91 Supra Sunsport(tons of room down there). The box is 3/4" MDF. I am coating the inside of the box with resin but plan on doing the outside of the box with truck bed liner. Everything I do is on a budget so I'm hoping to use a roll on DIY bed liner in a can. I can do that for about $30 or less using the quart size can. The thing I'm hung up on is which brand to go with. There are several options out there: Rustoleum, Herculiner, Duplicolor, Duplicolor "Bed Armor", Raptor liner,...... Does anyone have any insight or recommendations on these or any others? I want something nicer than undercoat spray. LINE-X would be my first choice but there's really no reason for me to spend the extra money to have it professionally sprayed. Thanks in advance.
Old     (gravity)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-21-2012, 10:18 PM Reply   
Dupli color is good stuff. I used it in spray form on some mdf shelves in my last home theater. It worked well but it took quite a bit. I don't think a quart would cover a sub box unless you went pretty thin. Good luck. Should look good
Old     (skuhleman)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-22-2012, 5:14 AM Reply   
I used the duplicolor bedliner on a 2 1.25 sealed 12 boxes and it looked like it was thick enough, 2 years later the mdf is swelling up because moisture got to them. I used 1 quart per box and 1 can on the spray can and it wasn't thick enough. So if you use 2 quarts on the 1 box you should be fine. Make sure to get the seams really good. And all the end pieces thick.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-22-2012, 7:24 AM Reply   
I used the duplicolor roll on stuff on my sub box 4 years ago and it's still going strong. I used almost the whole quart for a 1.5 ported box and it's pretty thick. We used a couple of cans of some other stuff on my buddies box and it wound up swelling. I think the roll on is the way to go.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-22-2012, 11:28 AM Reply   
If you use the resin on the outside as well, you'll have many more options on coating and coverings... The problem with the liner is that if you knick it or it don't stick 100% you can have issues... It doesn't happen all the time but with the resin coating it makes it way more durable to scrapes and water damage..
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-22-2012, 11:57 AM Reply   
We have been using a thick spray-on polyurethane bed liner since the early 90s on Jeeps before boats. We contract it out to a bed liner pro. It might cost you $60 but it is super thick (because we request it that way), better quality than what you can buy by the gallon and all the disposables and clean-up is their problem. You might chafe it, but you won't go through a thicker coating. We've never had a failure unless it occured without it being returned. Preparation is key with any coating. You have to have a large radius on all corners and edges. Otherwise any coating will withdrawal and thin at the edges. You have to build a quality box to begin with. Any flaws in seams or staple/nail/screw holes have to be filled and sanded smooth before coating. Any micro flaw will be amplified and may contribute to an eventual failure regardless of the coating used. A polyester fiberglass resin is definitely micro-porous so while it is water-resistant it is far from waterproof. An epoxy resin is a little better. You can help seal the pours of any resin with a good paint that is appropriate for the particular base resin. Bottom line is execution is probably more key than the specific material. And regardless of the coating the enclosure must be elevated off the sole. ANY coating will eventually wick up moisture via osmosis if left resting on the carpet in a mold and mildew trap. Trunk liners or automotive carpets will hold in moisture. If you cover a box with carpet make sure it is a rubber-backed marine-grade mildew-resistant material. Those are a few basics.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (whelchel86)      Join Date: Jan 2011       07-11-2012, 8:37 PM Reply   
Thanks for the help guys. The box is nothing special but I guess I should follow up on this some. It's the second box I have ever built so bare with me. I went with the duplicolor original truck bed liner. Turned out fine for this particular box in this boat. I coated all the inside with fiberglass resin and some of the outside (seams only). Then rolled the outside with bed liner. Only 1 coat in the pics but may do another? Feel free to laugh at my make shift rotisserie in the pictures but it worked great.

Old     (whelchel86)      Join Date: Jan 2011       07-11-2012, 8:41 PM Reply