Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old    relic28            06-28-2004, 6:59 PM Reply   
Firstly my name is jeff. Im new to the forums and new to the sport. Im mostly wondering if you can wakeboard behind a sitdown jet ski? I heard from my friend who wakeboards and wakeskates that jetskis are suited for wakeskating and that the wake is not big enough for wakeboarding. I am just curious if what he said is true or not because i really want to do do both. I cannot afford a real boat tho because I am just about to turn 16 and cant even get a job yet. Anyway im planning on getting a 3 person jet ski. Please just give me whatever kind of input you can. Thank you in advance.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-28-2004, 7:37 PM Reply   
Get on your wakeboard or wakeskate and enjoy, NOW . I think it is great to get on a skate behind a PWC. Yes, no wake - but if you can get all your surface basics and surface spins down with no bindings and no wake your very ready to do the same things in the air behind a crafted wake. Wakeboard is fine as well. You get a lot more riding time in becuase there is logistically less people and a ski is pulling you back up in like 20 seconds when you fall.

Depending on your weight your ski may or may not do very well. A older Waverunner XLT1200 takes a bit to get me out of deep water at 190 lbs but pops a 80lb kid right up. The new Sea Doo Wakeboard Edition will snatch me right up.

If yours has a hard time pulling you up do a sitting or running dock start.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-29-2004, 9:37 AM Reply   
Biggest problem is mantaining a consistent speed. Some of the newer jetskis have plenty of power. We were barefooting behind one last week and it was too fast!
Old    vern            06-29-2004, 12:54 PM Reply   
I use one. Just need to get use to the throttle. Keep in mind a boat is 1000 times better, but I have fun behind my 3 person. And yes, I can catch a little air on it too. But it's perfect for surface tricks.
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-05-2004, 11:00 AM Reply   
I have just started myself, and besides the local cable lake I have only been up behind my jetski (a 2002 polaris virage). Im 6'1, 225 and ride a DLX147. It gets me up w/ a bit of effort... but its better than shelling out 30k for a boat before I am ready
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-06-2004, 4:35 AM Reply   
When I was 16 I was kneeboarding and skiing behind a 650cc superjet which I continued using and started wakeboarding with till I weighed about 150lbs. It was great for riding in the real shallow areas andwe had great fun with it although I could nearly pull it over when cutting accross the wakes.
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-06-2004, 10:47 AM Reply   
My wife complains about me pulling her all over the place when cutting across the wake...

You have to be a really good driver to pull a wakeboarder... constant throttle adjustment and steering to compansate for the rider pull. Also if you get wake/swell it changes your speed and pull angle..

Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-06-2004, 11:18 AM Reply   
just don't get caught, its only legal on 3 seater pwc's
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-06-2004, 11:38 AM Reply   
I didnt know that... luckily mine is.
Old    jebus            07-19-2004, 10:21 PM Reply   
i have recently bought a 98 sea doo gsx ltd. and want to get a wakeboard. i have been snowboarding for 5 years (i think i have some idea of the basics because of this) and want to know if the jet ski will be enough for wakeboarding. i will be doing this on lake erie if that changes anything.
Old    zboomer            07-20-2004, 5:55 AM Reply   
Re. 3-seater pwc's... Yes, I think you are supposed to have room for the driver, observer, and person skiing. Not sure this applies everywhere, since most laws like this are state specific.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-20-2004, 12:13 PM Reply   
I believe in some states you can get away with two. One for the driver and one for the wakeboarder. I know in GA, you don't need an observer if you have a rear view mirror somewhere on a boat. I would imagine the same applies to the PWC.