Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (wakeboard_pittsburgh)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-24-2008, 2:12 PM Reply   
How do you do a time-lapse with a DLSR?

Cool Example:

Do you have to take the photos manually, or is there a button? Are there any tricks? How hard is it to make it into a video?

Thanks
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-24-2008, 3:40 PM Reply   
HDR time lapse? Am I missing something...?

You can use any D-SLR, but you need a wired remote that you can set to repeatedly take pictures. Remotes with timers typically are best for stuff like this (and sometimes are the only way to get it done). There aren't any real tricks per se, just a lot of experimentation and know how as far as how to deal with editing, etc.
Old     (wakeboard_pittsburgh)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-25-2008, 6:49 AM Reply   
I spent some time searching the internet for it last night. This is what I found...

http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/how-to-make-a-time-lapse-video-with-your-dslr/

I am going to try it out this weekend.

Does any one have any recommendations on how many seconds between shots to do this for a sunrise? I am guessing 30 seconds.
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-25-2008, 7:46 AM Reply   
Kyle - if you're a Nikon guy, check out their MC-20 release cable. You can set up intervalometer functions right on the release. Alternatively, if you have a PocketWizard MultiMAX and the Nikon triggering cable, you can use that to set up the time lapse.

As for time between exposures, remember you can always throw away frames if you have excess, but can never get them back if you don't capture them to begin with.
Old     (wakeboard_pittsburgh)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-25-2008, 8:20 AM Reply   
Thanks for the tip.

I bought an XTI this summer. I am eventually going to post up come pictures, but I am new to this and most of my stuff sucks. I figure if I keep reading up on it, taking pictures and trying new things, one day I might get a couple good shots.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-25-2008, 9:28 AM Reply   
Kyle- it's nearly impossible to tell how many frames were shot in any sequence, because after you shoot the photos and import them into a video editor, you can then speed up or slow down the time lapse. All the basic information seems to be there in that link you posted, so it's just a matter of getting out there and experimenting a bit...

Here is the ideal (Canon) intervalometer to be using for time lapses: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/164271-REG/Canon_2477A002_Timer_Remote_Controller_TC_80N3.htm l#features
Unfortunately, the product description doesn't say anything about it working on an XTI body.
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-25-2008, 11:09 AM Reply   
Scott - yes, thanks for remembering the Canon equivalent to Nikon's MC-20. The XTi has a different release unfortunately. Things can be hacked together, though...
http://www.unmaintained.com/forums/thread/63.aspx
http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/dslr/CanonRelease.html

Cheers!
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-25-2008, 12:31 PM Reply   
My Nikon D300 has a setting to take photos at a user selected interval. Doesn't Canon do the same, at least on their higher end models?