Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 07, 2006

Old     (al_d)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-26-2006, 7:50 PM Reply   
I want to rent a cabin on a lake this summer for my family of teenagers.

I don't know if I'll have the time to check it out ahead of time, so I've been leery of web pictures.

I really prefer to be lakeside. A dock would be great, but I don't mind launching each time.

I narrowed down my choices to Tulluch, or Shasta (unless someone suggests a better place). I'll probably only board during the week and leave the weekend crowds to themselves.

I found a lot of homes on Tulluch, but not many on Shasta. Any suggestions to find a cabin, or maybe another lake? I'm outside of Sacramento, so I don't want to go much further south than Sonora area, or further north than Shasta.

I heard Alminore is too windy. I can go to Folsom every day, so it isn't really a vacation to go there.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.
Old     (tantrum916)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-26-2006, 8:00 PM Reply   
for what its worth clear Lake has many lake side vacation rentals all around the lake but be for warrned water gets nasty with algee by mid to late summer. I should know I grew up in Lakeport right on the water, sure do missing living on the water like that.
Old     (domin8)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-26-2006, 8:41 PM Reply   
Shasta - http://www.shastalake.com/cabins/index.html
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-27-2006, 12:45 AM Reply   
there are some nice houses on the water on Almanor. you will be able to ride every morning there. never really gets windy in front of rec.1 and will get super windy on the side closest to chester 1 or 2 days a week. definately a sweet lake and fun for the family.
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-27-2006, 8:21 AM Reply   
Al D- Have you thought about Nacimiento, they have plenty of vacation rentals with good access to the lake. Get a hold of Shawn Wilson, he posts up on here all of the time, his mom runs a vacation rental office at the lake. It isn't that far of a drive from where you are located.
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-27-2006, 8:40 AM Reply   
Berryessa has cabins right on the waterfront too, with docks.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-27-2006, 8:58 AM Reply   
You gotta houseboat, go big!! There's no other way to experience the lake than getting in there and HBing. Shasta is great for Houseboats.

Like CAR said Naci has a ton of awesome cabins. Shawn's mom is awesome, look her up she'll take care of you for sure & some of the houses up there are incredible.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-27-2006, 9:03 AM Reply   
NACI is the place!!!!

I swear by may it is a 100 degrees and the water is up there in the low 70's....That place ROCKS!!!

GLASS ALL DAY LONG.
Old     (brianmiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-27-2006, 9:04 AM Reply   
check out www.shastalakehouse.com, i stayed there a couple of years ago, it is big and set up to hold a lot of people. There is no dock, but you can anchor your boat along the shoreline. The water is only a short walk from the house.
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-27-2006, 9:06 AM Reply   
Tulloch is pretty crowded even on week days in the summer. But the houses for rent there are really nice. You can be right on the water. Also good lake to meet people and party because there are so many people that live on the lake. But if you are serious about boarding I would stay away from Tulloch. My parents have had a vacation home on the lake all my life so I know a little bit about the lake. Later, Mike
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-27-2006, 9:39 AM Reply   
Like the guys said my Mom does vacation rentals at Nacimiento if you are interested. If it works out let me know when you plan on being there and maybe we can hook up and ride. We have a Sanger V-210 and a '06 Malibu VLX waiting.

site: www.lakevacationrental.com

her phone: (805) 472-2021

my e-mail: wakestar@gmail.com
Old     (al_d)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-27-2006, 10:15 AM Reply   
Naciemento looks great, but Mapquest puts it at about 6-1/2 hours. With 6 teens in the car I'll be nuts when I get there. (Sorry all you young guns),

I'll check out Berryessa, I learned to ski there 20 years ago. I din't know they had houses on the lake.

Clear lake won't work, since my wife won't get in anything but clear water. I tried the house boat one time and it wasn't for me.

Looks like I'll rule out Tulloch.

Thanks for the comments, I'll take any more I can get.
Al
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-27-2006, 10:17 AM Reply   
Opps...I guess the site is down right now, should be up soon. Sorry about that.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-27-2006, 11:37 AM Reply   
Al D,You don't want to go to Folsom b/c it's too close,don't want to go to Naci b/c it's too far....What's the deal bud? j/k.....

Naci might be far from you but believe me it is SOOOO worth it.I haven't went to too many lakes but Naci got to be by far the nicest lake I've been to.I can't remember last time I went there and it was windy,heck breezy for that matter!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-27-2006, 11:39 AM Reply   
Tho I got to say I was disappointed last time I went due to the lake being like 25% full but after all this rain,I'm sure that is not the case.Last time I checked the lake was as full as it gets.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-27-2006, 11:57 AM Reply   
Berryessa's cabins are very small and would sleep 4 of your six teenagers. You also can't cook inside of them so you would have to bring outdoor cooking stuff.

Otherthan that, I liked the cabins at Berryessa. hot shower's and a real bed.
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-27-2006, 12:04 PM Reply   
Antlers Resort at Shasta has cabins for rent.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-27-2006, 12:10 PM Reply   
Naci, is rough and lame. Unless you rent through Shawn's mom then it gets awesome. Ahhh my home lake is sweet...
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-27-2006, 12:31 PM Reply   
Naci does rock! it can get a little choppy on the weekends though, like most lakes in cali. I hope to spend a few days there in the spring time, as long as there is not a ton of debris floating around. probably wont be the case this year. not been a ton of rain.
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-27-2006, 12:44 PM Reply   
Yo Big Heavy what does this make you want to go do right now. Naci is at 71% capacity rght now.
Old     (bobbym)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-27-2006, 8:11 PM Reply   
I second that naci is the place, and Shawn's mom was a great person to deal with for a rental.
to live on the water like a rich man for week.. priceless.
Old     (al_d)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-01-2006, 6:32 AM Reply   
Big Ed, I don't mean that Folsom is too close to go to, it's just that it is the lake I use 1-2 times a week all summer. I want something a little different for a vacation week. (Way to bust the new guys balls...also j/k)

It looks like Shasta may be the best for me, but I'm going to take another look at Naci and see if the family wants to make the drive.

Thanks for all the comments,
Al