Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-09-2009, 6:10 AM Reply   
1. I know that people have painted wetsounds, but what about gelcoat. I want the speakers to match the gel and my dealer has that color. Will it stick? Will it crack?

2. for 4 pro 80's, how does the syn 2 stack up as compared to say the alpine pdx 4.150? I'm talking and volume and clarity.

I guess thats 3 questions.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-09-2009, 7:04 AM Reply   
Mike,

1) We have had great luck with automotive paint, 2 stage base and clear. Any good body shop can color match the gel coat. Best option is to sand the housing down and have them painted to match. Not sure if we have heard of anyone using gel.

2) The SYN-2 will provide 350x2 in 2 ohms so 175 per speaker. The pdx will provide 150x4 so 150 per speaker. So power wise, you will be getting more power with the SYN-2. More power gives you more volume and clarity. Both amps are super efficient and both are very small for the amount of power.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-09-2009, 7:11 AM Reply   
is the 175 per speaker RMS or peak?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-09-2009, 7:32 AM Reply   
RMS and THD goes up when you go to two OHM's so I would think you could lose some clarity versus 2 OHM's although Tim says it'd be better at 2. He certainly knows a crap load more than I do about such things.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-09-2009, 3:48 PM Reply   
That is RMS watts.

The THD at 2 ohms vs. 4 ohms is so negligible, you will not ever hear it so it really makes no difference in terms of clarity. As, we are talking about a boat (outdoor)

Also, the

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-09-2009, 4:06 PM Reply   
left us hangin' Tim...thats what I thought that it really wouldn't matter in the environment let alone at 70+ feet and with the power trade off it favors the SYN...What about effeciency and cooling?
Old     (tx03gt)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-09-2009, 4:23 PM Reply   
Upload
This is a pic of my buddy's x-star with custom black-chrome painted Wet Sounds.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-09-2009, 5:37 PM Reply   
Tyler,

They came out great, Looks sick! Send me more pics.

Hate, the SYN amps are Class H. They are a switching power supply. So they are super efficient and run very cool.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (tx03gt)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-10-2009, 7:29 AM Reply   
Tim, thats the only pic I have right now. We didn't get it on the water that day due to the wind. Will get some better pics to you on the water and without using my iphone.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-10-2009, 8:22 AM Reply   
Mike, have you decided on taking the graphics off the new Xstar? I really want to see that boat in person. I was up at Boatworks before the boat show and didnt get to see it. Are you going to try to bring it over to Cumberland for the Masterbash this summer?
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-10-2009, 9:17 AM Reply   
What's that about Adam? On Lake Cumberland?
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-10-2009, 9:23 AM Reply   
Masterbash is an owners gathering sponsored by KY Boatworks. Last year was the first year and was a huge success. I think the plan is sometime in July this year. If someone doesnt post up about it at some point, I will. You could also check kyboatworks.com or xwake.com for details as they are made available.

By the way, Im sure they wouldn't mind if a Supra owner showed up!

(Message edited by wakecumberland on March 10, 2009)
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-10-2009, 4:13 PM Reply   
I really hope that we can get to cumberland for that. For some reason I think that we have a competition that weekend. With Delanie riding INT, WWA, and NWL there aren't that many free weekends. I was out at Boatworks today working on the stereo system. Wait till you see their new building, it is awesome.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-10-2009, 4:18 PM Reply   
Thanks Adam..... I was also thinking about coming up for the PWT stop this year.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-11-2009, 8:37 AM Reply   
mike, she is rippin it up then! awesome! Hope you can make it.

No problem John. Hope to see you in E-Town for the PWT stop. Thanks for your input on my amp question on the other thread.

(Message edited by wakecumberland on March 11, 2009)