Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-01-2012, 12:03 PM Reply   
1987 Supra w/V8 351

The problem is the final exhaust hose after the riser is smoking...Here is where I am at.

There was smoke coming from the exhaust manifold at first so I ordered a new gasket for the manifold and a brand new manifold just in case I needed it. The manifold gasket was junk along with a few bolts that had to be cut out. So I changed the gasket(also change the valve cover gasket). Now the the big hose is smoking and not the manifold.

And it doesn't start smoking right off the bat it starts after running for several min. I look at the back two baffles and an even flow of water is coming out of both. I unhooked the hose from the riser and there is no blockage.

Should I just get a new hose? Or is there something else I should be looking at?
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-01-2012, 1:44 PM Reply   
how hot is the riser? is the hose smoking because its hot? shouldnt get near that hot
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-01-2012, 1:55 PM Reply   
The riser gets warm. I could probably keep my hand on it for a couple seconds before I'd have to take it off same level of hot for the hose maybe a little hotter. But it's not like if I touch it I'll get burnt right off the bat.

Last edited by denwbaseball; 08-01-2012 at 1:58 PM.
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-02-2012, 4:22 AM Reply   
It almost seems like there is oil or something on the hose and then when it heats up it starts to smoke. But that doesn't seem to be the case.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-02-2012, 5:29 AM Reply   
but it is hotter than the other side? they should run the same temp. and the hose shouldnt be any warmer than the riser. but you say equal amounts of water are coming out of either side?
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-02-2012, 5:55 AM Reply   
right equal amounts of water are coming out the back. And no I don't think its hotter than the other side. If the hose is hotter its just barley. Could it be getting hotter because I'm running it on a hose and its not getting enough water?
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-02-2012, 6:10 AM Reply   
is there just oil on the hose?
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-02-2012, 6:11 AM Reply   
no
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-02-2012, 8:00 AM Reply   
Like smoke coming out the exhaust flap or off of the outside of the hose?
If it's out the exhaust flap, maybe, older boat, burning a little oil on that side of the engine.
You checked for blockage, did the inside of the hose look smooth, not overheated and burnt?
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-02-2012, 8:05 AM Reply   
its coming from the outside of the hose not the flap. I'm no expert but yea the inside of the hose looked fine.
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-02-2012, 8:08 AM Reply   
Maybe a small crack or something and the smoke is real steam?
Old     (jbird)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-02-2012, 9:08 AM Reply   
I wouldn't dismiss the fact of age/temps/materials! 25 years can make almost any material impervious to the elements, what's the question, replace both exhausts before you blow up!
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-02-2012, 9:13 AM Reply   
the question is do I go replace the hoses or is there something else it could be that I should look into.
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-04-2012, 5:28 AM Reply   
Ok so today was a nice day without wind so I could tell exactly where it was coming from. The smoke is coming from hose just after the riser about were the clamp is for the riser. And most of the hose isn't hot at all but right where the riser is its real real hot. Move down the hose 6 inches and you can keep your had right on the hose no problems.
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-06-2012, 9:16 AM Reply   
I got the riser off lastnight. Now what am I looking for to tell if I need to replace it. I will say that the very "end" of it where the water and exhaust meet its very black just like the inner exhaust chamber. Should there be this much carbon build up? Also I noticed that on the hull where the water blows out there is a carbon build up on that as well but just the one side.
Is it time for a new riser and all my "hot" problems will be solved? thoughts?