Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (rclester89)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-14-2011, 4:54 PM Reply   
I rode Hydrous last week and although overall i was quite impressed I did notice a few things I wasn't big on and was hoping anyone who has ridden there could share their thoughts.

Disclaimer: I am an average cable rider i.e. I can hit all the obstacles, have a number of spin variations on the rails, working on box to a frame transfers, only have an air raley (sp?)

I felt like the overall quality of all the obstacles were top notch but when hitting the flat bar on the right side of the back of the main cable lake I found whenever i would come off it rather sketchy I wouldn't have enough time to recover and get to the inside of the lake before the rope went through the tower.

I also wanted to take some really aggressive cuts at the inside kicker but thought the cylinder rail kept me from edging out as far as i wanted.

Lastly I wanted to practice some transfers from the box to the downslope of the aframe but never felt comfortable because i felt I had very little time for a controlled approach after going through the turn at the tower right before it.

I put the disclaimer at the top just so someone doesn't leave me the typical smart&ss comment haha, but with that said, i'd like to know if anyone would agree with any things i mentioned or if it was just me finding something to complain about
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-14-2011, 9:42 PM Reply   
i wouldn't change a thing about their set-up. I see what you're saying on the flat bar, but that isn't that hard of a hit, but the rest of them I seem to have plenty of time.
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-15-2011, 7:25 AM Reply   
I just rode there last weekend, and had a blast. It is a bit smaller than other cables i have been to (WSR, TSR, OWC, Wake nation Htown) and because of that they have to be very precise in the locations of all their obstacles in order to a. have as many as they do and b. ensure that you have time to hit them and make turns etc. Because of this obstacles like the aframe transfer require you to plan ahead in order for you to hit it, if you go through the turn before the a-frame and THEN decide you want to hit the A-frame it is too late, you need to be setting up with a wide turn to the outside of that towers buoys so you have more time to set up for the a-frame. The same can be said for the other obstacles, if you hit the inside flatbar you have to be prepared to cut back out before the turn.

Because of the smaller size it is a little more difficult to hit a couple of their obstacles, But i felt that they did their best to utilized the space they had to give us the maximum amount of obstacles with just enough time for each. I think the more time you get at hydrous the easier these obstacles will be for you. Im not saying you do not have the skills to do it, i just think that you need a little more time at that park and you will be hitting everything the way you wanted to. In general i found all of the obstacles to be very friendly to all level of riders since they are all very wide rails. The facilities are top notch, the entire place is covered in soft grass, and the staff was friendly to me.

I wish it was bigger, but since that is not ever going to change im thankful that it has great obstacles and plenty of them. Oh and the cable is nice and tight too which makes for easier air tricks!!
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-16-2011, 3:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclester89 View Post
I rode Hydrous last week and although overall i was quite impressed I did notice a few things I wasn't big on and was hoping anyone who has ridden there could share their thoughts.

Disclaimer: I am an average cable rider i.e. I can hit all the obstacles, have a number of spin variations on the rails, working on box to a frame transfers, only have an air raley (sp?)

I felt like the overall quality of all the obstacles were top notch but when hitting the flat bar on the right side of the back of the main cable lake I found whenever i would come off it rather sketchy I wouldn't have enough time to recover and get to the inside of the lake before the rope went through the tower.

I also wanted to take some really aggressive cuts at the inside kicker but thought the cylinder rail kept me from edging out as far as i wanted.

Lastly I wanted to practice some transfers from the box to the downslope of the aframe but never felt comfortable because i felt I had very little time for a controlled approach after going through the turn at the tower right before it.

I put the disclaimer at the top just so someone doesn't leave me the typical smart&ss comment haha, but with that said, i'd like to know if anyone would agree with any things i mentioned or if it was just me finding something to complain about

I just rode there last night and it was the bombbbbb, the cable is soooo tight you can bost your air tricks large!

you are rights about the transfer box, but the rails are so close to the cable i find it easy to get to them and back to the bouys without a problem.

and the kickers are probably just the worst part about the park....

but yea definitely the best park in texas
Old     (iWakeboard)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-18-2011, 5:54 PM Reply   
I agree with J.B. The kickers are probably the worst part about the park. I really like the rainbow rail and the pipe!
Old     (baker0788)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-18-2011, 5:58 PM Reply   
Definitely the sickest park i've been to so far. Unit obstacles are where its at, sonnn.
Old     (redriver)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-18-2011, 6:39 PM Reply   
I agree that some of the feature locations limit our approaches or bail-out possibilities, but...
I'm an average rider and like the challenge that comes with different setups at each park. Nice thing I've seen in Guthrie (now OKC) cable is that location of the features can change each season, and I look forward to that variety. Nothing is set in stone, and I'm sure the folks in Allen will keep things moving to keep customers coming.
The tight corners also make me work at different approaches - switch or toeside- that I'm not so good at. I didn't have any trouble getting to the transfer but had trouble with the inside rail if I exited to blind.
BTW- I've ridden 7 cables now and Hydrous' features are the best for both quality and variety. The place is legit.
Old     (08san210)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-18-2011, 6:41 PM Reply   
Some of our riders from Oklahoma wake series hit Hydrous a couple weeks ago. Hydrous has in my opinion, changed the game in 5 to 6 tower system parks. It's a short, but awesome ride. Spending the money on Unit rails is the only way to go. They are safe and easy to hit. My 8 year old ( ok state grom champ this year, may I add) hit the slider and kicker with ease. We are going back next week. 4 hour drive from Tulsa, OK. Worth it. Only negatives up front. 1. last turn riding goofy is nasty. 2. Kickers seemed sticky even after splashing many times, 3. Two tower system were a joke. I understand they are for kids and parties. I think one could be for kids, and one legit for learning raleys and air backrolls. Too shallow. Thumbs up for the park.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-19-2011, 6:47 AM Reply   
i have no complaints whatsoever about that park. no park is perfect, but Hydrous is pretty damn close. props to chad and victor and all the hydrous crew for working day and night to get that park up and running. can't wait to go back.
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       10-19-2011, 9:01 AM Reply   
It is a great park and the staff is very helpful. The main cable is clockwise which is awesome for the regular footed rider. I like the kickers myself- you can hit one HS and one TS. I haven't hit everything there yet... I am still a beginner/novice cable rider. Overall thumbs up... I have ridden the two tower system elsewhere and hated it... I haven't tried it yet at Hydrous but the quarter pipe looks crazy!!
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-19-2011, 9:55 AM Reply   
im still drooling about how awesome it was just flying out of those corners
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-19-2011, 2:52 PM Reply   
The kickers seem to be pretty good overall. Big enough for more advanced riders to do what they like, but not too much or intimidating for less advanced riders.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-19-2011, 7:39 PM Reply   
Any idea which cable is WSR mentioned by devildog_ra
Doesn't that stand for West Sider Rider as in Vandall's crew?

I see what he means by the cable being small vvvvv
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-20-2011, 12:08 AM Reply   
WSR would be wakesport ranch.

How long are the straights at Hydrous? I only counted 7 carriers on that video..
Old     (Jadon)      Join Date: Oct 2011       10-20-2011, 2:13 PM Reply   
I have only been riding Cable for a few weeks now mosly boat rider, but love this place. All the osticals are great and even though the placment makes a few of them a little challenging they are all doable. My 9 year old daughter just started riding out there as well and has just mastered the nasty 90 degree turn next up will be the kickers. All in all it is a great place to ride and everyone that works there is cool and always helpful.
Old     (coda281)      Join Date: Jun 2011       10-22-2011, 5:59 PM Reply   
i love the place, i could just hit that blue pipe all day, haha so much fun. but yea have u tried edging to the left of the blue pipe at the beginning so you can gain more speed when u hit the inside kicker? ive seen people do that, also ive just hit the pipe and after i come off just edge over to that inside kicker. as for the flat bar on the other side, i havent had any troubles getting to the buoys, idk why , im goofy footed. if anything going off the inside kicker and getting into turn 1 is hard. and lastly, yea the transfer box is real close to that turn before it, i cant figure it out, but i dont transfer from the box to the rail anyways so haha. perfect scenario = take the blue pipe and find a spot for it at TSR :P
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-24-2011, 10:13 AM Reply   
I am excited about the park, and think the quality of park, setup and obstacles are second to none. However, I do have to say I am very happy I did not buy a season pass. The fly by seat of the pants scheduling and hours of operations has become very frustrating as a customer to plan my schedule so that I can go ride, and just seems unprofessional. The hours of operations change on nearly a daily basis, and are communicated via facebook normally the morning of. Similar with closings. Planning to ride tomorrow? Check facebook tonight and in the morning, they may just decide to be closed, or close early if there is a Rangers game. Also way to much expectation of the customers' desire to ride the 2.0's. The main cable might open at 11 or noon, but hours of operation may begin at 9am, however that is the 2.0's. I have no desire to ride the 2.0, and I would think the majority of return customers would be similar to me. I understand this to an extent from a business perspective, but it is not well communicated or understood in my opinion, as well as some lull times need to be expected as a new operation/business, especially to maintain return customers. It would be nice if they could stick to a set hours of operations, communicate it, and not change on the fly as is currently done. For example, a family driving from Oklahoma asked on Friday about the opening hours of the main cable for this past Sunday, and were told Noon. Sunday morning at 9:30 it was posted that it will opening at 11am. Little things can add up to a lot of frustration with the customer, and as a business I guess I just expect it to be more uniform in regards to hours of operations, and communication.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-24-2011, 10:43 AM Reply   
A-dub - I agree. I talked to their employees last week and they said they would be open until 11pm all throughout the winter (which seemed late to me in the cold of Dec and Jan) or as late as the last rider wants to ride. Then I saw they are closing tonight at 7pm. It does seem strange that they aren't being consistent and holding to their posted hours. The other strange thing is they don't have a phone number posted on their website that I've found to call and see the hours for that day. Hopefully they will get these things worked out as they get up and fully operational.

Aside from that, it's hard for me to complain since this place is in my backyard. The lake is a bit small but the sliders are awesome. I guess it takes hitting some bad ones to realize how much better these are in comparison. The placement is tricky with a couple but you get used to it.

With the lake levels keeping the ramps closed around here, it's nice to have another option. Plus, it's nice to be able to ride at night for those of us who can't always get off work early to ride when the sun is up.