Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-24-2007, 8:58 AM Reply   
Alright so here is my question. what camera housing is the cheapest to get? Also is the water bag not very waterproof. is it ok for shooting on a tube? how reliable is the bag.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-24-2007, 10:08 AM Reply   
I just got the Ewa bag yesterday. It looks like it will be fine for shooting from the tube but I don't think I'd dive with it.
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-24-2007, 5:43 PM Reply   
Is there a place to add a bouy for flotation if I fall in.(Crazy drivers) Are you comportable with how sealed up the camera gets.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-24-2007, 6:25 PM Reply   
It looks water tight to me but like I said I don't think I'd dive with it. I'm confident it will be fine for tube work.

It would be easy to add a float if you wanted to.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-24-2007, 6:44 PM Reply   
Here's a couple of shots to give you a idea of what it looks like. You would obviously take the camera strap off the camera for a shoot.

Ewa EWUAXP100

Upload
Upload
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-24-2007, 7:10 PM Reply   
No need for a float, it will be positively buoyant. Testing it before hand, without the camera in it, is a good idea for any nice camera housing. One of my friends just took his empty housing to over 90' as a test run. Submerging it the bathtub or kitchen sink should work just fine to make sure it is splash resistant.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-24-2007, 8:37 PM Reply   
It's rated to 150 but I think that would be asking for trouble. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=5237&A=details&Q=&sku=230471&is=REG&addedTr oughType=categoryNavigation
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-24-2007, 8:55 PM Reply   
http://photo.net/equipment/ewa/
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-24-2007, 8:58 PM Reply   
From what I understand, the controls become pretty much unusable at any depth below maybe snorkeling. The buttons also will work themselves from the water pressure.

Walt, the one my friend took down was a Canon housing. I have had my Canon housing pretty deep and it is only rated for 130'.

I am buying a Sea and Sea housing for my D200...when I rob a bank!
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-24-2007, 9:02 PM Reply   
I have a canon housing for my wife's Canon A95 for underwater stuff but the Ewa bag should work just fine for for wake shots from the tube.

I wish I could buy a better one too though !

2k plus for the Sea & Sea.
Old     (littleblightie)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-25-2007, 4:03 AM Reply   
I have a custom housing for my 20D, it was made locally, and I can't fault it at all... Also because it was one of his first made, it was cheap as chips

Not to try and scare you, just to inform you, I have heard of a case, first hand, of the seam in an EWA bag splitting at the bottom, and the camera getting flooded, this was just whilst doing sitting duck or tube work as well...
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-25-2007, 9:28 AM Reply   

quote:

Not to try and scare you, just to inform you, I have heard of a case, first hand, of the seam in an EWA bag splitting at the bottom, and the camera getting flooded, this was just whilst doing sitting duck or tube work as well...

The truth is your taking a certain amount of risk with any housing. All it takes is a bit of sand etc in-between a seal and your done.

I've seen a high end camera set up get wasted on the boat during a Delta session 2 shoot.Any time you have camera equipment around water your rolling the dice.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-25-2007, 9:33 AM Reply   
Walt, where did you find a housing for 2K? Try closer to 4K with two ports, extension housing, ring, adapters, iTTL converter, etc. I will be purchasing one before I go to Roatan, Honduras in June.

I can not strongly recommend enough insurance for your camera, both flood and theft. Being a D.A.N. member that is the way I am going, but there are lots of options including your home owners, but I would not recommend that. Has to do with them possibly canceling your policy, because of a couple claims, not even related to the house. Many people will insure their camera's and lenses, then not use lens protectors, but instead rely on the insurance if needed.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-25-2007, 9:36 AM Reply   
Peter,

B&H and that was the cheapest one they had. Accessories not included.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-25-2007, 9:39 AM Reply   
Starting at 1700.00 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=5237&A=details&Q=&sku=407386&is=REG&addedTr oughType=categoryNavigation and going skyward.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-25-2007, 9:46 AM Reply   
Ah, for a Canon, that is why. The housing for a D200 is $2500 for just the housing. Then an 8" dome port for a 12-24mm, and a flat port for a 60mm macro, adds up quickly.
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-25-2007, 7:17 PM Reply   
http://www.splwaterhousings.com/
Housing around $1300. This is with the port of your choice.

The only controls it comes with are the shutter dial and the aperture dial (big wheel on back of camera) They are custom made for the 20D (and probably 30D, 1D, etc.)

Flash housing was last quoted at $600.

Waterproof up to 15'.

Also, a friend of mine suggested I get a moisture detector (around $25) that lights up when moisture is detected.

I've used this housing for a year on several tube shots, had it fully submerged, been thrown from the tube with it wrapped on my wrist.

Works great!

-S
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-27-2007, 8:25 AM Reply   
I got a Ewa-Marine for a last minute trip to Cabo last fall and used it in 6ft. shorebreak without incident
(vid grab)

Upload
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-27-2007, 9:01 AM Reply   
Is that the beach right in front of the guy? If so every wave looks like a near death experience. First you would get slammed then drug back out underwater. I've learned to have lots of respect for the ocean.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-27-2007, 10:05 AM Reply   
THAT IS A SICK PIC!!! THATS ONE NASTY SHORE BREAK!!!
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-29-2007, 7:31 AM Reply   
BTW-I'm currently negotiating a 30 day photo/video deal and am upgrading my housings so I'm now selling the same housing as Walt has pictured above. It does have a slight scratch on the lens covering but it doesn't show in pictures at all. $240 OBO
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-29-2007, 9:53 PM Reply   
200 shipped sean