Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (balti)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-18-2005, 1:25 AM Reply   
I have a M.Craft PS205 '99,it may have an INDMAR motor. I am in the throws of upgrading the sound. Will need a bigger alternator.

Any clue as to where I can buy one that fits my motor. Note I live in South Africa will visit Florida in Speptember so hopefully I can smuggle it across my border.

Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-18-2005, 5:44 AM Reply   
Visit a high end car audio shop, although you might want to let them know ahead of time because most likely they will have to order one, so it is there when you visit
Old    whitechocolate            02-18-2005, 7:43 AM Reply   
Im looking 4 a HO alternator for a PS-209 right now, Im going to call Auto-Eletrics in Camble Ca that where i got my'n for a Nautique. Battery Shack in FL, has them for sure, try either one and let us know what you come up with.
I payed $400 for my Alternator from battery shack
Old     (ian30)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-18-2005, 10:09 AM Reply   
Anybody ever use a mean green alternator - They are popular for off-road. Do you need a special marine alternator?

www.mean-green.com
Old    whitechocolate            02-18-2005, 10:14 AM Reply   
I think this guy has a extra alternator he can spare, LOL
Old    whitechocolate            02-18-2005, 10:22 AM Reply   
Ian you should have a Marin grade alternator, The differance is. The marine grade has a screen in them so in the event that the alternator breaks and shoots sparks it will be trapped by the screen, Sort of like a Spark arrestor on a dirt bike.

I bought a $400 Marine Alternator from the Battery shack,, It was not working that well, I brought it to a local shop Auto electrics and they said hey this is no marine Alternator, There is no screens in it, They showed me and sure enought No screens, I had ran that alternator for over 2 years and it wasnt a marine alternator, I was super Lucky, I could have blown myself and everyone else up. I was pissed off, Battery shack said they were sorry and offerd to replace up grade the alternator, Nice try they said they thought my motor was a desil and that it didnt need a fire screen thats why it didnt come with it, Ill give them the benifit of the dought. But Ill take my business else where, Auto Electrics was closer and the alternators made right here while you wait.
Old    whitechocolate            02-18-2005, 10:26 AM Reply   
AUTOLECTRICS
408 559 3540
1360 Wite Oaks Rd
Campbell Ca 95008

here is some photos of my set up

Old    whitechocolate            02-18-2005, 10:32 AM Reply   
http://svtsupercharged.com/gallery/alternator

and a good thread on the subject
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/178019.html
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-18-2005, 11:16 AM Reply   
I just spoke with Tom at Autoelectrics and found him to be very helpful. They only wanted 125.00 to upgrade my alternator using my housing. Told him to be looking for my alternator in the mail. Thanks for the info.
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-18-2005, 11:53 AM Reply   
Grant,

All those alternators are on a Ford Bronco that belongs to a 58 year old lady. She is one of the world record holders in SPL. Alma Gates.

www.teamgates.org
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-18-2005, 12:02 PM Reply   
this is the front of the altenators for those of you wondering how the belt is run...actully they use a chain
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-18-2005, 4:11 PM Reply   
my mistake, she is 68 years young. WOW!!!
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-18-2005, 8:06 PM Reply   
Grant- I purchased a HO alternator from The Battery shack last spring when I installed my system. I blew it the second time out, sent it back, they repaired it for free and sent it back to me. I blew it again and then just ran with the stock alternator the rest of the summer without too many problems.

I recently contacted them to rectify the problem. I was told by a local shop that the alternator I had was NOT a marine alternator due to no screen. I questioned them on this and they gave me THE EXACT SAME STORY!!!! They thought I had a diesel engine. Hmmmm......?????? Coincidence?? Anyway, I have my new alternator, they sent me a proper marinized alternator that looks just like the pics above.

I can fully understand you wanting to take your business elsewhere. They did offer to refund my money almost a year later. Sounds like they do back up their products. They have done one repair, one replacement and have offered to refund my money. Hopefully I have no more problems with their products. If so, I'll be going somewhere else.

I found it funny we both got the exact same story!
Old    whitechocolate            02-19-2005, 9:27 AM Reply   
Kraig: when I wanted to get the new alternator from B.S. I sent him a photo of my engine and the alternator ect. IMO how hard is it for them to ask if they were in question. Bill the guy at the B.S. is a cool old guy, He was thank full for all the people I have sent to him in the past and treated me cool, but thats out the window when I found out the screens were not in my alternator.( when I found out I wanted to Flame him here on W/W big time) I try to tell as many people as possable about the screens because I was sure I was not the first person that this happend to, and I know alot of people bought the B.S. alternator off of my recomandation so I felt bad. Im not trying to make a little thing into somthing big, but if you dont have a screen in your alternator you could have problem's, Mabey we should start a check you alternator thread.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-19-2005, 11:24 AM Reply   
Grant- I have same 140amp alt with no screens from Battery Shack. Much like yourself I never even thought about them missing until reading recent threads. Also having same issue with low voltage @ idle. Just curious if your new voltage regulator corrected this ? I dont believe it has anything to do with the optimas's. I'm running two drycell Stinger batterys and getting same issue. Alt will have to be pulled and upgraded so was just curious if new regulator and screens will be all I'll need.
Old    jeff_lagoon            03-07-2005, 11:49 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info Grant. I have the same problem with Battery Shack. No Screen and 3 bad alts. I'm giving them one last chance. I talked to Bill this morning and he is going to send me a marine alt with the shield... God I hope this works. I will try Autolectrics if BS can’t give me a dependable alt.
Old    whitechocolate            03-07-2005, 11:57 AM Reply   
Jeff you are the 5th person to tell me that Battery Shack sent them a alternator with no screen's WTF. I feel bad because I told lots of people about them, and to find out they sent out alternators without screens in my opinion is un excusable
Old    jeff_lagoon            03-07-2005, 1:18 PM Reply   
No big deal. I'm glad I kept the stock alt as backup. So how is the new alt running from AUTOLECTRICS? Any problems? I will use AUTOLECTRICS if BS can't get me a stable alt.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-07-2005, 5:35 PM Reply   
Jeff- YES! It is a big deal! As you read above Grant and I both have seen and experienced this problem. And it's a dangerous problem. Those screens are there for a reason. They are spark arestors. Just like what carb'd engines have in boats. These spark arrestors on air filter and alternators are required by the Coast Guard. It's illegal to run without them, hence I would imagine it's illegal to sell them without proper screens.

Should we all sit back until someone or a boat full of people die. Am I overreacting? You tell me that after someone gets killed! The same thing was probably said about carbon monoxide behind boats. No big deal! Until people started dieing.

I can understand a mistake, but we are seeing this as a reoccurring problem from one company. We all are having the same WRONG alternator, not marinized, and the same excuse. They thought it was a diesel engine. Something needs to be done.

Grant- I am going to post a thread on here to bring this to light like you and I talked about. I am going to look into what else can be done about this beyond this discussion board.
Old    whitechocolate            03-08-2005, 8:50 AM Reply   
Kraig your not over reacting. If somthning was to happen what would we say? At least you can feel good letting people know your experiance and if they choose to do nothing then its on them, I have done nothing beyond discuss it in thread's but lots of people dont take the time to read threw a whole thread to get some important peice of information like this, I will post the information also,